Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 948 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#552023 09/09/22 10:46 AM
C
cb100 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My property shares a pond about three quarters on my property one quarter on adjoining parcel.the neighbor has listed it as a spring fed pond. There is a spring located about four hundred feet above the pond but the flow is minimal. About five gallons an hour on a wet year. It slows down during the late summer. I have owned this property since 2004 and have never seen any evidence of water entering the pond from the spring. He has also listed pictures of the pond showing more of my portion of the pond than he owns. My concern is he will sell the property and I would have to deal with someone who thinks he owns more than he does.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If ever there's a new owner (neighbor), then you would have to clearly communicate the property lines. However, it's best to know your state's laws. Many states ceed access to an entire body of water if a land owner has land that abuts to only a portion of the body of water.

Regarding what 'spring fed' means, I think that technically means that the pond is fed water via a spring, or multiple springs. I does not indicate size of a pond, I think.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
cb100 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for your response. The biggest problem I have is there are lots of marijuana growers around me. It's illegal to remove water from a pond for a grow even if it is entirely on your property. But that doesn't stop some people from doing it. I have spent years and thousands of dollars trying to improve the pond and stop leaks. And it reinforces the thought that it is better to do it right the first time than try to solve the problems later. The neighbor has not contributed anything either monetary or labor to help out. I find it frustrating to see him lie about the listing knowing that I will have to deal with an unhappy neighbor if it sells.

C
cb100 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have no problem with a neighbor having access to the pond as long as they try to remove water from it and they understand that all the fish in the pond were purchased and fed by me and are willing to agree to my plans for the fish in the pond

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Are you 'friendly' with the neighbor?

If so, I'd express the concern. If not, is there a listing agent? Maybe send a registered letter to them letting them know that the property is being misrepresented, at least photogenically?

Could you buy a fraction of the neighbor's land that abuts the pond?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
cb100 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I sent an email to the realtor expressing my concerns and what I believe needs to be disclosed to potential buyers. If he responds that should be enough to prove he has knowledge of the issues. If he doesn't I will send a certified letter. I have shown the listing to several long time neighbors that are familiar with the parcel the response from each was " what a f######### liar." Just goes to show that it's hard to trust a lot of people

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
cb100,

I feel your pain.

I believe sending prior notice to the realtor is an excellent strategy at this point.

The realtor definitely DOES NOT want a legal complaint lodged against them after the sale. The seller probably wouldn't care, but the realtor is not going to hurt their long-term prospects just to sell one property.

At this point, be exceedingly polite in your correspondence. If this ever does become a legal issue, your attorney will greatly enjoy showing your reasonableness compared to the other party's obvious un-truths and failures to respond.

[My wife is an attorney, which means MY legal advice has exactly zero value. I thought we used to have a few regulars that were attorneys, but in many cases it is improper for them to actually chime in.]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I used to have neighbor problems. But, I out lived the #astards.

Also had some issues with the County. Where I have my house was, once upon a time, the stage coach station. That makes it historical but they only have some old timers, now deceased, word on that. Also a couple of rock pilings that look like old time graves that they don’t know about. Actually, I expect it was the old station. I’ve found the remains of too many old rusted out horse shoes and other stuff.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 09/10/22 08:52 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
B
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
I used to have neighbor problems. But, I out lived the #astards.

Also had some issues with the County. Where I have my house was, once upon a time, the stage coach station. That makes it historical but they only have some old timers, now deceased, word on that. Also a couple of rock pilings that look like old time graves that they don’t know about. Actually, I expect it was the old station. I’ve found the remains of too many old rusted out horse shoes and other stuff.
Dave, I think that is pretty cool history.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Outliving the #astards is certainly the best revenge!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday