Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,053
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Layne, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, jludwig, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 631 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Interesting. I’d have never thought about a treatment that binds to suspended clay particles would also work on floating algae or scum (whatever it is)
Thx

Last edited by SetterGuy; 08/25/22 04:46 PM.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by SetterGuy
Interesting. I’d have never thought about a treatment that binds to suspended clay particles would also work on floating algae or scum (whatever it is)
Thx

That stuff is there most likely because you have an excessive amount of nutrients in there causing it to flourish. Reduce the nutrients and reduce the scum.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Originally Posted by esshup
Thx

That stuff is there most likely because you have an excessive amount of nutrients in there causing it to flourish. Reduce the nutrients and reduce the scum.

And the alum treatment will reduce nutrients? I did not know that.
I shut off the feeder a few weeks ago. Hopefully that will help. I guess my original question as to if aeration will help is still unknown. I think I’ll just wait it out, if the Cutrine plus does not help. I can’t see giving Rex another $2500 on a most likely solution. I wonder if it has anything to do with the American pond weed? I have a lot of it now, and I’ve never had the scum before.
Thanks for the replies esshup. I must have a very unusual problem, as the solution seems fairly elusive.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Posted on another site. I’m told this is Euglena. (Maybe or maybe not, that is accurate)
I’ll treat it with Cutrine Plus as soon as I can (when the wind concentrates it tight enough against a bank).
It apparently can cause a fish kill.
Just sharing this because it apparently hasn’t been discussed here. It’s not something that can be removed mechanically. Pretty much has to be with algicide.

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Sprayed 4 gallons of lightly mixed Cutrine Plus. I’ll see how it works.
Had a northwest wind today so the scum was south. South wind should be stronger the next two days. I imagine I’ll have to do a few applications. Just watching to see how it works, and if there’s any side effects.

Anyone know approximately how long it will take the Cutrine to work it’s magic?
Thx

Last edited by SetterGuy; 08/26/22 06:12 PM.

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sprayed 4 gallons of lightly mixed Cutrine Plus. I’ll see how it works.
Had a northwest wind today so the scum was south. South wind should be stronger the next two days. I imagine I’ll have to do a few applications. Just watching to see how it works, and if there’s any side effects.

Anyone know approximately how long it will take the Cutrine to work it’s magic?
Thx

Spraying it earlier in the day works better than late in the day. You should see algae starting to turn white within a few hours. When you say "lightly mixed" what was the amount in the 4 gallons and how much of an area did you spray? It's best to follow the label rates, and I'd follow the rate for planktonic algae. Too little and you could teach the algae to build up a resistance to the Cutrine Plus. Too much and you could kill Golden Shiners.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: FishinRod
OP Offline
Got it. I sprayed about ,2 ac. Mixed it at just under the 10:1 ratio you suggested. 4 10ths of a gallon into the 4 gallon sprayer.
Unfortunately no wind this morning, so no spraying. I’ll be down at the pond in an hour or so, and see if my spraying did anything.
Thx

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Well, it’s difficult to say if the spraying did much. With so little wind whatever scum that is still there just spreads out over the entire pond. It seems reduced, and I’m not seeing the orange masses that I focused on yesterday. So I’m thinking it helped some. I’ll know more if we get some wind.

I can say for a fact that the golden shiner fry were not harmed. Parts of the scum look like the pond is full of 7 Up. There’s so much activity at the surface. Shiner fry must really like scum.

Last edited by SetterGuy; 08/27/22 09:59 AM.

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
I guess I’ll just have the pond scum. I’m reluctant to respray with the Cutrine Plus. The warnings on the gallon jug make me a little concerned.
It does seem to have helped some. The fish seem fine. It’s almost the end of swim season, maybe it’ll just go away this winter. Still not running the feeder. Don’t know/think aeration would or could help.

Just out of curiousity does anyone know of a lab I could send a sample of this stuff too? I’d like to for sure know what it is, and could then plan accordingly.

Thanks,
Jeff [Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Otter attack in 2023
J
Online Content
J
Just out of curiousity does anyone know of a lab I could send a sample of this stuff too? I’d like to for sure know what it is, and could then plan accordingly.

Bill Cody might analyze it.

1 member likes this: SetterGuy
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I have been hoping you were going to have a clear win in your battle against this pond scum!

Perhaps a "truce" is your best option. I know they use containment booms pretty effectively on floating oil spills or floating trash.

Could you rig some type of boom to just protect your swimming area? You could use leftover PVC pipe, or just some cheap pool noodles on a rope?

Good luck!

OP Offline
Thank you both. I need help. Ha! I’m going to reach out to Bill soon. Going to try one more spray. It’s pretty windy today, so the scum is really bunched up. Easier target!
We shall see. So far the biggest negative is that it looks really bad. Just a very slight odor, and fish seem to really like it. I worked on the trees growing on the back of the dam most of yesterday. After chainsawing in the heat all day, I had to jump in. I kept the scum at bay with pool noodles! I may have to section off the swimming area, although that doesn’t really improve the appearance aspect. Ha

Last edited by SetterGuy; 08/29/22 11:44 AM.

Otter attack in 2023
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
After chainsawing in the heat all day, I had to jump in.

I was also chainsawing in the heat yesterday. I got home and sat down in the kitchen near my wife, and she said "You stink!"

Obviously I need to get her to approve a pond with a swimming area out on our property!

OP Offline
Last update for a while. Here’s the scum right before I sprayed. The wind had really picked up, and it was really concentrated in the northwest corner of the pond. I thought, I’ve got you now!
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Here’s the post spray picture. The wind had died, and the scum was running away from me as fast as it could. I thought I hit it pretty good with the Cutrine Plus. I guess I’ll know when I get back up here later in the week. Notice how a lot of it had turned white. Esshup mentioned earlier that if it turned white, it was dying. Fingers crossed.

Otter attack in 2023
OP Offline
Quick update. The spray had no noticeable effect. Scum is back in all its glory. I’m at a loss. Looking for expert help.

Otter attack in 2023
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Like all algae, it will grow back in 2 weeks or less once killed. The only way to minimize it is to reduce what is making it grow - NUTRIENTS. Talk to Bill Cody and see what he has to say. He has a Doctorate in algae, he's THE expert in all things related to algae. Listen to what he has to say and DO what he says to do.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

OP Offline
Originally Posted by esshup
Like all algae, it will grow back in 2 weeks or less once killed. The only way to minimize it is to reduce what is making it grow - NUTRIENTS. Talk to Bill Cody and see what he has to say. He has a Doctorate in algae, he's THE expert in all things related to algae. Listen to what he has to say and DO what he says to do.

Sent him a message before I updated here.

Otter attack in 2023
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??