Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,071
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Bob Lusk, LeighAnn, Shorthose, catscratch, Justin W, Requa, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing), 775 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Sunil
We are having a big fish kill in this pond. Lost about 25 adult bluegill. No sign of distress on them. We've also found about 10 dead Yellow Perch and a few dead smallies.

Not sure what's causing this, but I'm suspecting some kind of D.O. crash, which surprises me. Part of me wonders, if it was a D.O. crash, if it was due to too many fathead minnows.

Sunil:

What's the water temp and what's the water clarity? Is the clarity due to turbidity or phytoplankton? You have my number, give me a shout tomorrow if you have time.

Last edited by esshup; 07/31/22 11:24 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Scott, water temps were 77/78 just below the surface, but the water was murky or stained.

Last Thursday, we had some heavy rains, and then the water got murky brown, and the fish kill started.

I would think maybe the heavy rains turned the pond over, but I can't see how we'd have such 'bad' water in the pond.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Often in the hottest part of summer only the top few feet of water have sufficient DO. If you get a big cold rain the pond will mix/turnover and none of the water will have enough, DO. It only takes a few minutes of very low DO to kill fish. This is exacerbated by ponds with at/near carrying capacity loads of fish as they have high DO demands.

Last edited by ewest; 08/01/22 10:59 AM.

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The pond owner ended up getting a small aeration unit the first week of August '22, and since then, no more dead floaters.

We throw out Optimal Bluegill (the long cylindrical type), and we pretty much only see fatheads feeding which had been making me think we lost most all of the stocked fish. A large subset of the (85) adult bluegill we had stocked used to hit feed on the surface, but not anymore.

Yesterday, I stocked (40) more Yellow Perch 2-3" long, (40) Bluegill <2", and (6) HSB 4-5", and (6) CC 5-6".

I actually caught a healthy adult bluegill on a waxworm yesterday too. It hit the worm at about 6' below a small bobber.

This pond continues to be a mystery.

Water temps are around 60 degrees.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
A few updates on this pond:

1) Around late Oct/early November 2022, I got about (30) 4-6" SMB from Fenders Fish Farm and put them in this pond. We did not see any mortality from this batch.

2) About 2 weeks ago, I stocked (10) HSB in the 8-10" range in this pond. Of those 10, they had 4 floaters.

The pond owners son is a merciless fish trapper, and he's now catching baby bluegill from less than 1" to about 3-4" in size, and Yellow Perch of various sizes with the largest one trapped being maybe 8" long.

When throwing out the Optimal Bluegill Feed (long cylindrical ones), you'll see tons of fatheads hitting it, and now bigger boils. Some of those bigger boils are from bluegill, but they are hitting it so fast that you can barely see what kind of fish it is. There are other fish hitting the feed, or hitting fatheads who are feeding, but I can't tell what kind of fish.

Water clarity is less than 8", so it's hard.

Pond is still polluted with fatheads.

Waiting to see any SMB, HSB, or CC.

Pond owners did send off for a water test, and all parameters looked within acceptable range.

May have them do a jar test to see if we can assist with water clarity.

1 member likes this: FishinRod
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Sorry about your HSB losses.

It will be interesting to see how the SMB react to a pond "polluted with fatheads". I assume the SMB will greatly enjoy reducing the pollution!

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Yeah, the HSB losses were sad. I also bought (10) HSB for my neighborhood pond, and had one that was D.O.A. when I got them home, so 9 went into my pond. No floaters thus far, and a neighborhood kid caught one on a fly rod.

Since the day of one of the first SMB stockings, we haven't seen any SMB yet. If the largest stockers survived, they would be 7"+ by now with all the forage in the pond.

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I fished Lee's pond yesterday.

Caught (2) HSB in the 8-10" range. The first one, I believe was stocked in Spring '22, and the second one was from a stocking a few weeks ago.

Also caught several Yellow Perch and a few mature bluegill.

Some mysteries getting solved.

No sign yet of SMB or Channel Cats, but I think they're in there...

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Fished Lee's pond again yesterday using night crawlers cut in half under a bobber with 3' lead.

Caught numerous HSB and several smaller YP.

The amount of fathead minnows is greatly reduced now, yet the YP didn't really seem that fat. All YP caught were under 6".

No sign of any SMB yet.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
YP like BG up north have a good chance of stunting if not managed. What are the YP eating if FH population is low? Not sure HSB and SMB can control YP numbers (yes if you harvest as needed). Info is for other readers as I know none of this is new to you!

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Lee and his wife are feeding Optimal, so eventually this pond will turn into a sim-world type thing, and we'll have to see how the YP end up spawning.

We have not had a YP spawn as far as I can tell right now.

There has been a BG spawn, so hopefully the HSB, SMB, YP, and CC eat on BG frye and YOY.

1 member likes this: ewest
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Fished Lee's pond for a while yesterday. Caught several yellow perch and......................our first Smallie!!!!!

It hit a 1.5" bluegill on a hook and bobber!!!

The smallie was about 7" long and looked healthy, but not overly plump. I stocked SMB from (3) sources, so I can't tell which batch this smallie was from thus I really don't know the growth rate.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
It's an interesting time when catching a 7" fish is exciting. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
It's an interesting time when catching a 7" fish is exciting. smile

Word, Mabro, word!!!

I was on cloud 9!!!!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
This pond (experiment) will be very interesting to watch develop.

R
R
Were the 3 groups of smb a combination of the northern strain and southern strain?

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ron, I'm not sure. The first batch was from Hartley's Fish Farm in KS. The second batch was from Zetts in central PA, and the third batch was from Fenders Fish Farm in eastern OH.

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Lee's wife, Jackie, caught a 9-10" CC today, so as of this afternoon, all species stocked have been caught!!!

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I am overjoyed to report that Lee's pond had a SMB spawn this spring!! On Saturday, I saw several YOY SMB!!

I'm actually quite surprised by this, but when another PB member posted about getting some SMB from Fenders Fish Farm last fall and then having a SMB spawn this spring '23, it made me wonder as I also got some SMB there last fall.

I've only seen the one more 'mature' SMB that Lee caught a few weeks ago.

S
Online Happy
S
Originally Posted by Ron crismon
Were the 3 groups of smb a combination of the northern strain and southern strain?

I can confirm Hartley's fish are not pure northern strain. Not "bad" fish but growth is extremely slow compared to any that have tested (DNA) to be Dale Hollow strain. Not 1 grower has been able to confirm DNA testing other than my own, other than 9 I tested from Mr. Ron Crismon and yes, they match true northerns perfectly.

Last edited by Snipe; 10/02/23 09:25 AM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Well, there is ONE other grower... wink

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Make that two as I have them sequestered in 2 other ponds without any SMB near them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Many years ago, I drained and killed off the fish in a pond of about 3/4 acre. Let it fill back up a bit and stocked it with roses red fathead minnows. Before long, you could drive by on 4 wheeler and the pond seemed full of them. Then I started seeing fewer of them and before long none. Somehow, green sunfish had gotten into the pond. Within a relatively short time, they had wiped out the fathead. I added about 20 smallmouth bass. Still catch a smallmouth occasionally but none ever got very big. Still just full of green sunfish. Need to drain it again.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Many years ago, I drained and killed off the fish in a pond of about 3/4 acre. Let it fill back up a bit and stocked it with roses red fathead minnows. Before long, you could drive by on 4 wheeler and the pond seemed full of them. Then I started seeing fewer of them and before long none. Somehow, green sunfish had gotten into the pond. Within a relatively short time, they had wiped out the fathead. I added about 20 smallmouth bass. Still catch a smallmouth occasionally but none ever got very big. Still just full of green sunfish. Need to drain it again.

How did the pond get re-filled?

I think you need to determine the source of the GSF before you go to that much effort again. Perhaps there was a tiny bit of water left when you drained and you did NOT rotenone?

I would like to hear more, because reports like yours a fairly common on Pond Boss.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Refilled from rain water. No significant drainage or streams going to it. Nearest other water source is a creek which has water in puddles only through part of year and fills during rains. No green sunfish in original fathead minnows or smallmouth bass. My best guess is they swam upstream from creek during a rain; but that is about a 1/4 mile away and probably 50 feet lower elevation. Installed an overflow pipe so can't swim up overflow again if that is what happened. Also possible but unlikely a neighbor could have thrown some in to be mean. There is also the theory that they could have hitchhiked on critters. I don't know how they got there. They definitely weren't in water or pond for first year rosey reds were in there. Something similar happened to a brother's pond that he didn't want fish in (detailed on here in old thread) and was also a long ways significantly uphill from another water source.

Last edited by Rangersedge; 11/12/23 09:45 AM.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails