Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,134
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
10 members (Sunil, Shorthose, J. E. Craig, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Freg, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Bill Cody), 905 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by snrub
Starting on about page 3 of my forage pond thread are a bunch of pictures of RES and hybrids RES/GSF. No guarantee all of them are identified correctly, but I think at least many are.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=370619&page=3

I had bought RES and FHM to stock this pond (fish route truck), and I got a bunch of GSF genes mixed in. It was only supposed to have only FHM and RES in that pond, nothing else as I was raising them to breed and then supplemental stock my other ponds.

I fought GSF genes in that particular pond for a few years.

What are your thoughts on GRES, now that it's been a few years? Still like 'em, or are they not worth the hassle?

Is there a reliable way to sex GSF to ensure I only stocked a female? I've tried looking online & it seems there are sexing guides for just about every other Lepomis species, but not that one. Or should I just play it safe & keep the little green monsters out entirely?

S
S
The hybrids tend to grow fast if feeding because they tend to be feed hogs. Very agressive feeding.

I would not purposely add GSF genetics to a pond that does not already naturally have them. I see no advantage over regular BG and some disadvantages, such as their larger mouth (makes them more competetive against small bass for forage). GSF are almost ubiquitous to our area. They and bullheads will survive when other fish will not so the creeks are always full of them. Many ponds have them, wanted or not.

There are a few people that like GSF but they are far and few between. I will say that they are agressive at biting a hook or anything else and for a kids pond will help with the catch rate but their maximum size is not that great.

As far as what we end up filleting, it is largely the hybrids. Generally speaking they are easier to catch than the pure BG and I ended up having so many of them when we fished as we pulled in an eating size hybrid it would go in the ice chest to be filleted. A small one good chance it will get cut up with scissors and thrown back in for the CC. When we caught a BG it might or might not be invited to dinner depending on what it looked like. If it was a particularly pretty fish or looked like good breeding stock it went back into the pond. So if we cleaned 50 fish that day, 40 or them might be hybrids.

We didn't fish that much last year and this year depending on the catch rate will determine what we mostly clean. We keep basically every CC we catch, always have (we have had CC recruitment eveyr year so we have always had a supply - that may change now that our bass population is higher). I suspect, but don't know yet, that this year we will be cleaning a lot of bass, some SMB but mostly LMB. In the beginning of my pond journey our BG got ahead of our LMB and we had no successful LMB recruitment for a few years. Had to supplemental stock some. Now the LMB are recruiting as well as we have additionally added HSB and have been adding SMB from my SMB pond for a couple years. So I suspect, but don't know for sure yet, that what was a pretty slow bass catch rate and heavy BG/hybrid catch rate may now reverse, if the bass have done their job of limiting the BG recruitment. We will see, but I suspect it is time for me to harvest some bass this year.

Last edited by snrub; 05/05/22 07:32 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
2 members like this: CrazyCarl, FishinRod
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 10:30 AM
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday