Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#543841 02/08/22 03:25 PM
J
Jreb79 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Naïve newbie here in Deep South Alabama. I have an acre and a half pond (4-9ft deep) that I stocked Spring of 2020 with fathead minnows and 1000 cnbg. December 2020 I stocked 100 fingerling largemouth bass. FHM are all gone as expected. I regularly fertilized the pond and fed the bluegill during the summer months. The bluegill population is and has been absolutely exploding since day one. Even today I see tons of 1 inch fingerling BG minnows in the grass is near the bank. I assume that the small fingerling bluegill are very young and hatched recently this winter…..?? We have had no significant harvest of any fish since the pond was built. The oldest BG aren’t even 2 years old yet.

Last year I was concerned that I did not have any bass from the original stocking because I saw Zero bass at all until last summer. Now I can regularly catch two or three bass I am hour. Rarely have time to goof off any longer to catch more but I thought if most of the 100 LMB survived the original stocking I would easily catch quite a bit more. All the bass seen and caught are in the 1.5 lbs range. I am still concerned that most of the bass from the original stocking did not survive. Are they that hard to catch and good at hiding?

I plan to start harvesting bluegill this spring after the bass spawn so I don’t accidentally catch a bass while fishing for the bluegill and harm its ability to have a healthy first spawn. A few bass I have caught and released will occasionally hit small pan fish lures. My concern is that I do not see a large population of bass to control these bluegill. I understand that bass fry survival rate after the spawn is very low, Possibly even lower with the number of bluegill I have. On occasion I’ll see three maybe four bass near the bank eating small bluegill. It’s just nowhere near the amount I thought I would see or caught by now. Yesterday I saw 8 bass schooled in one small area. Do I have enough bass that I have not seen to spawn the spring and and keep my population in check. When should I consider adding more adult LMB? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expertise.

Last edited by Jreb79; 02/08/22 03:28 PM.
J
Jreb79 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
If this post is under the wrong topic let me know and I will copy and post it in the proper place.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I would not add any LMB yet. Wait and do a seine survey after the spawn. In the interim read on the forum about fish surveys and population analysis. It is far better to have too few LMB early than too many. In the spring look for LMB nesting and post what you see. Also watch for BG spawning and post that as well. Do not harvest any fish yet. Wait until you get the survey results.

Last edited by ewest; 02/08/22 04:03 PM.

P
P
Agree with Eric. You probably have more bass than you are seeing. How big are the BG? And are you feeding the BG? I have so many BG that they are stopping recruitment of my LMB and BCP….

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
100 bass over 1.5 acres of water is a nice low number, and considering the LMB were fingerlings when you stocked them, imagine what kind of surface area or displacement those 100 fingerlings would have had in the 1.5 acre pond.

Now, if you consider that each LMB is maybe 1.5 lbs, imagine the full 100 LMB evenly spaced around the circumference of the 1.5 acre body of water. In that scenario, you might expect to see a bass every 10 feet.

So, what you are describing sounds about right, and you may not have had any more mortality than normal in those 100 LMB fingerlings you stocked.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Pat not sure of BG stopping Crappie recruitment but they sure can stop LMB nesting. We are learning that more and more things can seriously impede spawning. Article on that in the next PB Cutting edge.

Meanwhile you guys might have never seen one of these.

[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Golden Crappie.jpg
Last edited by ewest; 02/08/22 04:44 PM.

P
P
Beautiful fish!
I have seen BG overwhelm BCP on beds by running in when BCP chases one off. This was happening all the way on dam in shallow water. The same thing happened with LMB when they spawned last two seasons. My BCP are almost gone now from no recruitment and LMB eating them. Have some 10#+ to get rid of….

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by ewest
Pat not sure of BG stopping Crappie recruitment but they sure can stop LMB nesting. We are learning that more and more things can seriously impede spawning. Article on that in the next PB Cutting edge.

Meanwhile you guys might have never seen one of these.

[Linked Image]

Great picture, ewest!

Does it only eat goldfish? laugh

In all seriousness, are you going to give us the back story on the Golden Crappie?

J
Jreb79 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I have BG ranging 8” to tiny fingerlings. Most are around 5”. I feed and fertilize till around the end of November when it’s starts getting cool at night. I see a dozen or so old BG beds now that winter has cleared up the water quite on the shallow end. I also made a half dozen or so 5’ pea gravel bedding areas in the shallower end that I was hoping the bass will use this spring. Just deep enough I started to see them in the winter draw down. Obviously won’t see if the bass use them when my water warms up and the algae bloom turns the water a greenish hue.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Since I may have missed it, what is the fishery goal for your pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted by esshup
Since I may have missed it, what is the fishery goal for your pond?
If you want large bass, I'd say you don't want to stock any more.

If you are one of us deviants trying to grow large BG, you do.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
S
S
I can't give you a good answer to your question, but can relate my experience.

After my initial stocking, like you my BG population and early growth went wild. The BG early on did great. They did so well I think they discouraged my bass from spawning. The following years I could catch some nice size bass but was catching zero recruits of young bass.

I did some supplemental stocking and from another pond with only SMB took a bunch of SMB recruits from that pond and stocked my main pond. I also stocked some HSB that I raised in yet another pond.

Long story short, I eventually got enough bass pressure to keep the BG in check and the LMB finally started reproducing. Can catch small LMB recruits.

Now I suspect I am over heavy on bass population and need to harvest a bunch this next year or I will be bass heavy. Which I don't mind because I am more of a BG angler rather than trophy bass fisherman. I get bored easily and I like catch rates over huge sizes.

At some point that I can't possibly identify, for probably about 30 seconds, my pond was probably "in balance" with some undetermined amount of each species. That point rapidly passed and I went from BG heavy to bass heavy.

My point? Probably nothing other than a "proper balance", at least in my rather poor quality management system, is a fleeting moment. If you get there, enjoy it. It probably will not last. Or maybe (probably) it is just me.

Last edited by snrub; 02/09/22 07:33 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Don’t remember who said it first. Balance lasts for a day or two. Then it all changes.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
1 member likes this: ewest
J
Jreb79 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I just want to have a properly balanced on for maximum enjoyment. I don’t want to grow any monsters but it would be nice to catch the occasional 5 lb bass and 1 lb BG

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Maintaining balance in a BG/LMB pond is like balancing on the knife edge. Constant management is required (proper harvest, understanding the food web, determining spawning success and being able to assess what will happening next in advance). If you can't see what's next in advance (extremely hard to do as there are too many variables) then you are constantly behind the curve. Best advice - enjoy the journey, manage as best you can and learn to play the population swings. It is a journey worth making and you will have fun. Like John Wayne said - the measure of a man is not how many times he gets knock down but rather how many times he gets up !

J
Jreb79 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Today on the way to the tree stand I saw about 9-10 good sized bass schooling together again. They looked very healthy and some about 2 lbs. I assume they are feeding more since our weather has been very mild for about a week and they are getting fat for the spawn. I’m feeling a bit better about the situation for now. When should I start yanking out some BG?

Last edited by Jreb79; 02/10/22 06:43 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
It sounds like your LMB stocking was successful.

Are you looking to take some bluegill for eating, or for a culling necessity? I ask because there may not be a fishery-based need to cull them. Then again, there could be if you are way overpopulated with bluegill.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Well said Sunil

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
You need a solid population analysis once the weather warms. That will let you know about harvest. I never harvest the biggest/best BG.

J
Jreb79 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Today I saw two different schools of bass fry. One school about half an inch long and several hundred fry. Second school was much smaller in size and number, barely able to identify them as bass. Happy to see them and hoping several dozen make it through the summer. Any chance they will make 5-6” by the end of the year?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Any chance they will make 5-6” by the end of the year?
If those new LMB are not too crowded and with lots of good food they could be 8"-9" by late fall. Less than that there were too many of them with not enough food. It is the correct and amount of food that grows the best fish. In your region those new bass could be growing 1.2" to 1.5" per month.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/21/22 08:16 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
Jreb79 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Heck yeah… that would be awesome. There is plenty of food and room for them. Just caught an 16” post spawn female last week that was from my initial stocking of fingerling in Dec of 2020. I fertilize during the summer and feed the bluegill. I believe the bass are under populated at the moment. I’ll update this thread from time to time and hopefully I’ll have a good update before years end.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images