Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
A
Tannerite? Will there be beer? Can I come to watch?

2 members like this: catscratch, FishinRod
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by Augie

I am pretty sure we all want a videographer to be present for this event.

How good are your "cameraman" skills while still holding a beer?

1 member likes this: catscratch
C
OP Offline
C

Rhetorical questions? Of course there will be beer!

1 member likes this: FishinRod
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by catscratch

I am pretty sure the buoyancy of two empty kegs would be sufficient to float a concrete tube into place.

I like it when a plan really comes into focus!

Originally Posted by FishinRod

I am pretty sure the buoyancy of two empty kegs would be sufficient to float a concrete tube into place.

I like it when a plan really comes into focus!

If the kegs are full to begin with and need to be emptied first...we need a lot more help just to get started or I won't be worth a hoot when it comes time to set the structures...lol

Fish on!,
Noel
1 member likes this: CrazyCarl
A
A
Everyone needs a purpose in life.
My purpose is to serve as a bad example.

3 members like this: CrazyCarl, catscratch, RStringer
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Everyone needs a purpose in life.
My purpose is to serve as a bad example.

Like a counter-weight of some sort?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
A
Like beer and explosives and don't try this at home kids. lol

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Get Sunil involved. He is really good when bad ideas are happening.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
OP Offline
C
Came home with another load of these tubes. I think I have 13 of them now plus a lot of "curved" rubble that I plan on leaving in shallows for crawfish habitat.

Still undecided on how and where I'm going to place the tubes but I'm thinking a pile of them just past the weed line in front of a point I made would be a good idea. Water depth would be around 9' deep there. A single layer on bottom would put structure at about 7' deep. If I can stack them double somehow the pile would jut up to about 7'. No clue if I can make that work but I think it would hold fish. If I sunk a couple of cedar trees or hedge limbs next to it I think it will work out nicely.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20220412-101037_Gallery.jpg
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
They're going to make great structure, but I have to assume they'll be laying flat on the pond basin, and not standing upright as you had indicated you'd like some of them to.

If my assumption is correct, I think they would be best utilized in 4-5' of water. That's not to say that they couldn't do great in 7' of water, but depending on the type of fishing you'll do, sometimes you can't the lures down that low.

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Sunil
They're going to make great structure, but I have to assume they'll be laying flat on the pond basin, and not standing upright as you had indicated you'd like some of them to.

If my assumption is correct, I think they would be best utilized in 4-5' of water. That's not to say that they couldn't do great in 7' of water, but depending on the type of fishing you'll do, sometimes you can't the lures down that low.
Help me out with ideas on depth...
The vegetation growing in my pond consumes everything shallower than 8ft. I didn't think it would be good to put the structures in the weeds so that's why I've picked the depth I have... it's the shallowest I can put them without having them covered. Should I consider putting them in the weeds?

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
The vegetation growing in my pond consumes everything shallower than 8ft. I didn't think it would be good to put the structures in the weeds so that's why I've picked the depth I have... it's the shallowest I can put them without having them covered. Should I consider putting them in the weeds?

I would consider a few in the weeds. Bass are ambush predators. Consider a tube suppressing the weeds under its footprint. A LMB could lurk in the tube and ambush any forage fish that ventures forth from the nearby weed beds.

Maybe even "spill" some of your rubble in front of either end of the tube. That might create a little more open water to throw a lure and the LMB could also ambush crayfish out of the rubble.

Another option to consider is to experiment. Place a few this year in different habitat scenarios. Determine which are the best fish enhancements and then repeat those scenarios next year with your remaining tubes.

P.S. Your life insurance agent accidentally left a message at my work number today. Something about needing all of your premiums paid up in full before installation work begins on the concrete tubes?

S
S
I have the chance to get several old concrete man-hole or meter tubes. They are about 3' long and 1.5' diameter. I think I'll have to put them in 9-10 feet of water so that they don't grow over with weeds.

My question is should I lay them on their sides so that they act as horizontal caves, or should I try to stand them up. I think if I lay them over I'll run them parallel to the bank so that jigs and lures will slide over them instead of hanging up on the lips. If I stand them up they could make for some nice vertical jigging spots. Target species will be large mouth bass or crappie.

Despite all the wonderful suggestions about floating them with beer kegs, which I'm sure would work without a single glitch, I might add a suggestion or two.

If you stick them vertically if the bottom is sealed off the water inside will mostly be anoxic, devoid of oxygen. I scuba dive and here in Bonaire in the ocean I have occasion to dive where large pipe pilings have been driven into the ocean floor. I always shine my light down inside them but I never see any fish or critters over a foot or so down into them. On down in the pipe is devoid of most life.

My ideal way to stack them would be three (or more) horizontal straped together on the pond floor with a ratchet strap. Then stack 2 on top in the valleys between them, then one on the top. Tee pee style. How you get them down in the water and in place...........well that is a trick. A telehandler, trackhoe, or some similar large hydraulic crane type thingy along with appropriate sling would be just wonderful to have for an hour or two.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
OP Offline
C
Life insurance is all paid up! For some reason the wife has always been a stickler on that one.

Hadn't even considered creating a dead zone in the tube with it sealed to the bottom. Good point!

I might try to put a couple in the weeds just to see what happens and if they are fishable. The tee-pee idea is ultimately what I think would be best. Not sure I'll ever be able to snag the equipment with that kind of reach but maybe I can muster it by hand and friends.

S
S
Depending on your bank and slope where you are going to put them, might be able to "roll" them down by hand (staying on the up side of course) to the bottom or a ledge or post driven into the pond bottom. Roll by hand several down into a cluster.

Then if they are not so heavy so you can lift one end, end it up on top and move it down the ling. If you can lift one end, might be that two stout guys could manipulate them in the water as long as they were not too deep to stand on the bottom.

John

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I still feel that some kind of video will be needed to 'document' this daring attempt at structure placement.

T
T
If the pond isn't too wide run the rope to the opposite bank and pull the tubes into place with the motor vehicle of your choice.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Tbar
If the pond isn't too wide run the rope to the opposite bank and pull the tubes into place with the motor vehicle of your choice.

No chance of running a rope, it's way to wide (600 feet).

I might be able to role them across the bottom but my boy tried to role one through some mud. It was heavy enough the mud just pushed up in front of it and created mud wedge that stopped it. I could see this being a problem in shin deep muck.

I'm considering a couple of 2 inch oil field pipes with 2x4's strapped between them. Make a 3 foot wide ramp from my stone point out to the weed line and carefully role them into position (staying uphill of them of course).

I can't wait for the water to warm up and for me to get some more daylight time to tinker with this!

C
OP Offline
C
Old thread but I finally put out my concrete man holes. I have to apologize as there was some speculation that this project would surely involve beer and likely actions that would make a great bloopers real. Unfortunately nothing much went wrong and certainly nothing comical. Today I took advantage of the once every few yrs cold snap and just rolled them out on the ice.

It didn't go without incidents; the first one shatter when it the ice, the second one broke in half and put a pretty good crushing on my foot, and the third one rolled out very nicely.... then caught the wind and rolled right back to bank. I eventually hobbled around and got all of the ones I didn't break and/or get unstuck out on the ice. Wish I had a bunch of trees ready to put out there with them!

Attached Images
Screenshot_20240121_142001_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240121_142047_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240121_142104_Gallery.jpg
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Either you have a waterproof phone, OR you survived the Great Concrete Culvert Placement Project of 2024!

Good job.

I wonder if your channel cats are going to spawn in those this spring?

G
G
Back when you were first talking about placing those things I was thinking that's gonna be a complicated process, if them suckers weigh as much as I think they do, they will pretty much land on the bottom almost any way they damn please, and trying to position them will be tough, unless it was done before the water was in the area.
Did you think to tie a concrete block to em to make sure they sink?

I got several dump truck loads of heavy, C900 water main line in various sizes up to 16" dia, but most in the 12" range, cut into 4' lengths dumped into the pond in several places. and the channel cat seem to be spawning in the pond, Im assuming in those pipes, if one end landed in the mud with the other end open that would make a great spawn site for them.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
C
OP Offline
C
They are as heavy as you might think, and just getting them on a boat and into the water would have been a huge pain in the ass! Fortunate to have the pond freeze this winter.

Lol, no cinder blocks. It won't matter how they land on the bottom, it's a done deal as I'm not touching them again.

No clue if cats will spawn in them. My only hope is that they attract big bass and crappie, channels aren't a goal for me. Might be a consequence though.

Those piles of water main sound like a lot! Did you add any vertical cover with them? I'm planning on cedar and hedge being sunk on top of and around the tubes.

1 member likes this: gehajake
B
B
Totally jealous. Those look fantastic!!!

G
G
They are as heavy as you might think, and just getting them on a boat and into the water would have been a huge pain in the ass! Fortunate to have the pond freeze this winter.

Lol, no cinder blocks. It won't matter how they land on the bottom, it's a done deal as I'm not touching them again.

No clue if cats will spawn in them. My only hope is that they attract big bass and crappie, channels aren't a goal for me. Might be a consequence though.

Those piles of water main sound like a lot! Did you add any vertical cover with them? I'm planning on cedar and hedge being sunk on top of and around the tubes.

The CC spawning is more of a consequence then a benefit, I added them to my pond early, thinking that with a little feed they would make catching and table fare early on while my other fish eco is developing, and it worked, I was catching and eating fish within a yr, but now I find younger ones that had to have spawned in the lake, Oh well, the otters need something to eat, maybe they will attack them and leave my good fishing alone.

No I didn't place them at all, just backed up to the edge of the pond and dumped them in, wherever and however they landed was how they are, I do have tons of brush, stumps and logging treetop brush piles for plenty of cover. I do think the concrete pipes you put in there will make some awesome permanent cover.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images