Originally Posted by jpsdad
Originally Posted by txranchguy
@jpsdad @Bill Cody

Okay, so y'all recommend LMB instead of CC? I'll see if I can remove some of the trees when the weather is a little better. We've had some crazy windy days (45 mph) here in Central Texas. I managed to pull the culvert, create a nice spillway and raise the dam a foot so if we ever get some rain we should see more water (haha no rain in almost a month). What would be the stocking rate for both ponds if I do this late April? I saw Bill Cody mentioned 10-16 LMB 8"-10" long. I wish I knew an easy place to pick up fish near us. I think everything is an hour or more. I'm about an hour east of Round Rock, TX if that helps. Thanks again for all the help guys - much appreciated.

For kids, in a 1/4 acre pond, LMB in a slow growth population structure makes a lot of sense. They will control GSF and the GSF that do recruit will grow to larger sizes. There tends to be a lot of 1/4 to 1/2 lb fish in such a situation and any fish falling in this size are fun for kids. They are also large enough to filet. If you go that route, I'd follow Bill's advice. Expect LMB growth to be very good in the beginning. When you see a good spawn (which is a matter of when not if) the growth may stop. You should set a goal to harvest around 5 lbs of LMB annually and around 10 to 15 lbs of GSF annually to keep them and the recruits growing well. Just wait until you get recruits to start your harvest.

I don't think FHM would do well in your pond if it is populated with GSF. I would be more inclined to add GAMs. But even these may not be able to sustain a population. A 4 to 5 in HSB is about the size of most of your GSF. Keep in mind that HSB of this size probably need to be fed due to the competition with GSF. I'd be surprised if there weren't competition also for feed. One really great advantage to the 8" to 10" LMB is that there will be enough 2" to 3" GSF to really boost their growth. LMB won't require feeding.

Good to know! I think we'll go with the LMB option. That's what Overton's suggested, too. Thanks for all the help with everything. Ya'll are great and very knowledgable! I'm learning pond management takes some work. Haha