Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 843 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 131 of 183 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 182 183
A
A
If the blue clay in your part of injun country is the same kind of blue clay that we have here in God's Country you ought to be able to make a pond that will hold water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Dug test holes for pond locations at the farm yesterday. We have been very dry since October, so I was also able to test the variability of my ground water.

Success! Found good clay in 9 out of 10 holes. Several holes had pure blue clay at the bottom. I think I could make a pond that holds water like a bathtub with that stuff!

My subsoils were dry down to 6-8', and then I struck water. It would start seeping into the hole at depth. I struck clay within the next 6" every time there was water. It appears that my clay layers are continuous and there is still a little bit of groundwater migrating in the last bit of permeable sediment just above the clay seal.

I was worried that I would be forced to move lots of saturated sandy loam soils on top of wet clay to excavate my ponds. I now think I can accomplish our pond builds WITHOUT great difficulty, if I can get working during a semi-drought period.

The first step is to clear about 5 acres of land.

Does anybody happen to know if the goat in Al's thumbnail pic is available for contract work this spring? grin

You will have to talk to his wife, but for the right price I'm sure they are (they have 2 goats).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
FishinRod, June, the goat in my pic, is a mix of diva and turd. June and Merle are Pygmy and Dwarf Nigerian crosses that we bottle fed since birth. Merle is a wethered goat, and all kidding aside, he may be one of the sweetest creatures on Earth. June didn't get the memo. Weather permitting, I take them for a foraging walk every day.

AL

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Yep, the blue clay looks really good. I made "Mike Otto" worms out to pencil size with no problems!

I was joking about the goats - but got sincere responses.

I have 20-30 acres of land that is too overgrown for wildlife habitat. It is too thick for the turkeys and the deer will only pass through along their hard-fought trails.

We have contemplated getting goats for land clearing and pets, but we don't live on our farm yet.

Questions:

If we live on the property (300 acres), can two adult goats survive in a coyote environment away from the house?

Could I fence off small areas in the "forest" for the goats to clear with a multi-strand electric fence, or would it require panel type fencing?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't know if 2 will be enough. I know a guy that cleared about 12 acres of rasberries and multiflora rose in a year but he had 20+ head on it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
I can't recommend them for several reasons.

Will they clean underbrush and sticker vines? Absolutely. Will it break your and your spouse's heart when you see them eaten by coyotes? Absolutely. We didn't want a guardian, so we did several things. We did have to put up 5' woven wire panels, and that can get pricey. T posts with barbed wire at the top and bottom, so no digging or climbing coyotes. We ran electricity to their shed, mounted a led outdoor light, and have power for an infrared heater. With their pen being adjacent to the house, they've done fine. We've got bobcats and coyotes on our game cameras, but haven't had any issues at all.

Goats like any livestock require shots, shelter, fresh water, and definitely a guardian for large areas. Donkeys work well. I have a friend that has regular pasture goats, for exactly what you're referencing, and even with a pyrenees, he loses goats every year.

Goats can be great pets, but you may question your decision when your doing four 3oz feedings a day. Baby goats can be pulled 2-3 days after they're born, and doing that feeding is how you get a permanent bond with them.

Having said all that, they help me with brush piles. Before and after pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
IMG_4522 2.JPG

AL

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Thanks for all of the goat advice!

I know how much effort I have expended to clear 50'x50' patches of thick scrubby forest, and I think the goats could do it more efficiently (and happily) than I could.

I could set up 200' of panel fencing fairly easily, but I also have coyotes and bobcats so I doubt I could protect my goats effectively.

Sounds like a heavy skid steer with a mulcher will be more efficient but less enjoyable!

If I do get serious about the goats when we are moving out to the farm, then I will definitely open a new thread on PB for advice!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
When I was Elk hunting in Colorado the sheep herders had a Lama or two with the Sheep to protect them from predators.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Here's some very incorrect advice, but if you only have one beaver hut on or near your pond, don't destroy it. Beavers, nutria, and otters will all use the same hut. Whack the beavers, then mark every entrance to the hut. If there are multiple entrances, block a few and leave a few open to provide access to the nutria and otters. They usually show up after the beavers go to rodent heaven. Yesteday I caught 2, one was leaving the hut, and one was going in the hut at another entrance. Conibears got both.

Here's 4 nutria that were digging up and eating the tubers on my hybrid lilies and blue iris. There are 2 more to hopefully trap tonight. Game camera said so.
[Linked Image]

AL

2 members like this: gehajake, esshup
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Went and wandered around the pond this morning as it was too wet to start any dirt work. We discussed this years projects and priorities, hopefully we can get started on those this coming week. Saw some Canadian geese, mallards, black ducks, woodies, pintail, scaup, and buffleheads. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, I’m looking forward to spending a good portion of the afternoon wandering and watching the activity. Thanks.

Bryan

A
A
Spent a few minutes at the cow pond with a spinning rod this morning. Caught and caged several <9" BG.
CPR one >9" BG, one >10" RES, and one SMB ~14". Pics are on my renovation thread.
Haven't seen any YP ribbons yet, and the battery is dead in my thermometer, so I'm not sure what the water temp is, but it shouldn't be long before they start popping.

Took 20 or 30 shiners out of the pond today. Grandson was a good help.
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Meanwhile, up by the dam my daughter and son in law were using the shiners to catch a few other species. They didn’t measure or weigh the SMB. Or the big YP.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
4 members like this: gehajake, RAH, RStringer, FishinRod
A
Online Content
A
Beautiful SMB! So glad to see grandkids introduced to the great outdoors.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

1 member likes this: SetterGuy
A
A
Those are some gorgeous SMB! Whatever it is you're doing up there, you're doing it right.

Did you get a pic of the YP?

Originally Posted by anthropic
Beautiful SMB! So glad to see grandkids introduced to the great outdoors.
Originally Posted by Augie
Those are some gorgeous SMB! Whatever it is you're doing up there, you're doing it right.

Did you get a pic of the YP?

I just had my daughter send it to me. I thought it was bigger. I had them release it anyway.

I think I need to keep stocking YP, to keep the population big enough for harvesting what we eat.

RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
Otter attack in 2023
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
The kids are what it’s all about.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
3 members like this: SetterGuy, gehajake, RAH
A
A
Love seeing the kids get involved. I'd guess that YP to be 12"-ish. Nice size for the table.

I've been 100% C&R on YP up until now, and it seems that word reached the fish that the moratorium has been lifted,
because I haven't caught one yet this spring. lol Had one about 8" in the B trap yesterday, but that's cheating so
that one went back in the drink.

G
G
So I got a call the other day, it was a county assessor trespassing on my property to see if there were any additional taxes they could hose me for, she spotted a coon in a trap where I was catching some nuisance coons, and was making sure I was aware of it and taking care of them which I assured her I was and appeared to be ok with that, then proceeded to call the game warden who went out and wandered around the property an found a second coon in a trap, he turned them loose and was all bent out of shape, said he was ok with me trapping nuisance animals but I was supposed to let him know about it first, which I assured him I had talked to my local game warden, ( I live in another county) and he had told me to catch them and relocate them as needed. this game warden told me not to release them, to shoot em instead please, as there are too many of them around and if I was to relocate them they would just become someone else's problem which I let him know wasn't my problem, they had probably dropped them off here in the first place. I hadnt told him that They probably weren't gonna get relocated anyways. long story short, he gave me a ticket for not having my name on my traps, he told me to put my name on my traps and trap on. just let him know how many I caught on a regular bases.
The assessor lady is not very high on my list of Christmas gift recipients right now, that's about as low as you can go I believe. The Game warden was actually not too bad to deal with, just a kid doing his part of saving the world, but his actions and words didn't make too much sense.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I guess it is out of the question to notify both the county assessor's office and the game warden that you have been having significant grizzly bear problems on your property - and you are therefore distributing a large number of Sawtooth #8 traps around your entire acreage?

3 members like this: gehajake, anthropic, RAH
G
G
Originally Posted by FishinRod
I guess it is out of the question to notify both the county assessor's office and the game warden that you have been having significant grizzly bear problems on your property - and you are therefore distributing a large number of Sawtooth #8 traps around your entire acreage?

That would be OK except neither one of these lazy individuals ever got 10 ft from their vehicle, they drove around the trails in their vehicles. most of that is my fault, I've got to get a gate or locked chain or cable across the driveway, I haven't had very many trespassers and most of those were lost or something, I have cameras everywhere and running their license plates I can usually get their number reasonable quick and question their intent when trespassing. a phone call usually lets them realize pretty quick that the place is being watched.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
A
Online Content
A
I have some neighbors who absolutely love to fire off dozens of rounds whenever the mood strikes them, particularly weekends. Sometimes it's like they are practicing for a Russian invasion of Texas. Keeps potential trespassers away pretty well. Heck, nearly kept us away from buying the property before we got used to it & they realized we were okay.

Would not want to trespass in our neighborhood. Everybody is armed, some are eager to demonstrate shooting skills.

Last edited by anthropic; 03/24/22 08:51 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Unbelievable!

I guess one of my projects this year will be stringing a cable with a lock across each of our big pasture gates.

That simple measure should keep out the "lost", the lazy, and the casual trespassers!

Edit:
My "Unbelievable!" was in response to gehajake. (anthropic was posting while I was typing.)

I will add a "Believable!" for anthropic's post!

Last edited by FishinRod; 03/24/22 08:53 AM.
1 member likes this: gehajake
Dealing with govment folks can often be interesting. When we first bought our place it had a sewage lagoon in the back yard. We all hated it. We like to sit out back, and the often empty, leaky lagoon was horrible. I went to the county to try and get a septic system put in. The only option they gave me was a $12,000 system with pumps, and various field locations. That was more than I wanted to spend. So I borrowed a back hoe, dug a hole, bought a 1500 gallon tank and drain line, and just put in a system myself. I got a call from the county officer over sewage systems. She was in my back yard, and was staring at an illegal septic tank. I said, yep, I went ahead and did it myself. I was hoping the fine would be less than the $10,000 I saved.
She said she did know of one contractor that could put in a drain field legally, and she would approve my system. I said, ok give me his number. She handed the phone to him, he happened to be right there! He said for $2500 I’ll redo your drain field, and you’ll have an approved system. So I gave the ok, and said when can you do the job? He said, I’ve got all my equipment right here! Wow, what a lucky break huh? I said I’ll be there in two hours, I’d like to meet you. I got there in less than two hours. He was done and gone. I mentioned the exchange to a neighbor that’s good friends with the sheriff. The lady was fired shorty after that, but not before she approved my septic system..
What a racket.

Otter attack in 2023
A
A
Your pond must be in the People's Republic of Boone County.

I had a similar situation come up with nuisance coons starting around this time last year.
An acquaintance of mine caught wind of the fact that I was trapping and eliminating the vermin.
He offered to relocate any that I caught. I politely declined and explained that relocation would
just make a problem animal a problem for a different human. Dude took offense, called the
Conservation department, and ratted me out. That didn't work out the way he was hoping it would.
I had previously been in touch with the regional office here in CoMO to make them aware of the
situation, and was given their blessing to destroy every one I caught until the problems went away.
The agent told him thank you for calling, that they were aware, and please don't call us again to
rat on Mr. Augie

3 members like this: gehajake, esshup, SetterGuy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dad had 'coons tearing up his thistle feeders, so he put a live trap on the tray beneath them and one on the ground. The neighbors had friends out from the city. Dad caught a coon, and walked it down to the lake and tossed the coon in the lake, live trap and all. City people saw that and freaked out, calling the game warden. He shows up, talks to Dad. Dad showed him the chewed up bird feeders. The warden said keep it up, just give us a call when you catch one. The citified visitors weren't happy when the next morning they watched Dad do the exact same thing. They called again and were told "Yes we know about it, and he has our blessing to do that to them."

www.hoosierpondpros.com

2 members like this: Augie, gehajake
Page 131 of 183 1 2 129 130 131 132 133 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images