Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 755 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#545128 03/11/22 02:24 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Ok, another source question. Looking for you'alls favorite supplier of PK shrimp. I would like to buy some for stocking in SC KS.

catscratch #545130 03/11/22 04:41 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Kenny [Snipe] is your man...last I checked they were $.75 - $1 ea. Well worth it - I stock them in all my and my client fisheries.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

1 member likes this: FishinRod
teehjaeh57 #545132 03/11/22 05:27 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by teehjaeh57
Kenny [Snipe] is your man...last I checked they were $.75 - $1 ea. Well worth it - I stock them in all my and my client fisheries.

Thanks! I've exchanged a few messages with him about tilapia. He may become my one stop go-to guy.

catscratch #545133 03/11/22 05:38 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Kenny is very knowledgeable and equally ethical - strongly recommend.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

catscratch #545261 03/15/22 11:34 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I believe I've found my supplier.

Best practices for stocking? I have a 19 acre pond. The inlet end is shallow and very weedy. The main basin is 10' deep on average with a ring of weeds surrounding it. Will they have the best chance of surviving if released in the shallow end?

Best practice for acclimating shrimp before release?

catscratch #545281 03/15/22 04:05 PM
C
C
My experience with PK shrimp is that they need certain water conditions (I can't spell out the exact parameters but they tend to survive or not survive in degree based on water chemistry) In addition certain weeds they really gravitate towards. They DO need plenty of weeds for cover so you would want them on the shallow side to try to get them a place to hide.

If you can time the purchase to when they are ready to have their babies your purchase price goes a long long ways as you get the adults and hopefully many many more little ones.

You won't be able to stock all 19 acres with sufficient PK shrimp but if they thrive in the shallow weedy areas they might get their own foothold and do some reproduction.

I know other midwest state pondowners have had good establishment and reproduction of PK shrimp even with a very small stocking quantity up front. Maybe they will see this and tell you about their water chemistry (I think more dissolved calcium in the water is helpful) and about what weed types they found the PK shrimp took a liking to.

I'm not aware of a need to acclimate but it never hurts to do so. I do know the water they ship in often has unwanted nasties that you don't want in your pond so you may want to do a water exchange using your pond water a few times to be sure they are clean of plant debris and the water they shipped in doesn't end up in your pond. A collander might work well for the wash/transfer process.

If they may have had young in the shipping bag then you would need to transfer the water as well.

I wish there was a way to put radio tags on these beautiful creatures to see if they survive and where they travel.

(oh, and be sure they are PK shrimp or they will not tolerate winter in Kansas. Many sell shrimp that are not cold water hardy and are not PK shrimp. Pro (Bill Cody) tip - take a a few from the shipment, put them in a bowl of water that they shipped in and put in your refrigerator. IF they survive they are cold tolerant and likely PK shrimp.)

1 member likes this: catscratch
catscratch #545283 03/15/22 05:06 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
A 19 acre pond? You have LOTS of shoreline.

I suspect your PK shrimp order may be fairly large.

Would it be useful to stock shrimp in multiple locations? I think that would increase your odds of at least some of the shrimp finding their "optimum" habitat and establishing a breeding population. (But I know zero about PK shrimp!)

catscratch #545284 03/15/22 06:30 PM
S
S
This will not help with a supplier as I'm sure they went out of business. But the thread may have some other information on PK shrimp that might be useful.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=371764

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
catscratch #545285 03/15/22 06:44 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Thanks John. There is a lot of good discussion in your linked thread!

catscratch #545294 03/15/22 10:07 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
To acclimate them, I'd do a gradual water change to get the temperature and pH as close to the pond water as possible. Best to have the water temp within 3°F and pH within 1 unit of the pond water before releasing them. Don't change the water temp too rapidly, no more than 10°F in 20 minutes, and wait 15 minutes between water change cycles.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
catscratch #545301 03/16/22 08:42 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the replies!

I do have a lot of shore line, but the order isn't large at all. Can't claim I'm doing this the right way, but want to give the little guys the best chance at taking hold that I can.

catscratch #545319 03/17/22 04:14 PM
Lunker
Lunker
I always recommended 500/ac in new ponds lacking predation, or 1,000/ac in established fisheries. Abundant macrophytes help populations become established. Stock in multiple areas of pond. I’ve established them in dozens of fisheries successfully using these guidelines, but I’ve related all this to Kenny already. Hope this is helpful.

catscratch #545339 03/17/22 11:54 PM
J
Online Content
J
The good news is that for your 19 acre pond 500 per acre will only cost $7,125 - $10,000. Only double that at 1000/acre. It takes ~1250 PK shrimp to make 1 lb or about $937 per pound at 75 cents.

Swingle experimented with them for growing BG. He stocked ~19.31 lbs to the acre ($17800 - $23750 per acre) along with around 47 lbs of BG (1500/acre). Under fertilization both the shrimp proliferated and the BG grew well. He was able to grow 209 lbs/acre of BG and 94 lbs/acre of PK shrimp in 6 months with this recipe.

Now this is where it gets interesting. He tried this under many scenarios but the highest production of BG he achieved with PK shrimp was ~234 lbs/acre. He achieved this without fertilization and chara and he achieved it with fertilization and brush. Although there was no difference between BG production, the fertilization/brush treatment increased production of PK Shrimp over 6 fold yielding a harvest of 1043 lbs of PK Shrimp per acre. When you think of in terms dollar value that is nearly 1 million dollars per acre.

All kidding aside on how much PK shrimp cost, I saw a much deeper lesson in Swingle's findings. I had always heard they make very good forage. And indeed they grew BG for sure but no better Gambusia. Under a similar treatment (fertilization, no weeds, no brush) using only 1 lb of Gambusia per acre Swingle produced 310 lbs per acre of BG or almost 50% more weight of BG. Swingle also grew BG under fertilization alone. The results were less than with PK shrimp (165 lbs/acre) and so we can say PK shrimp (with fertilization, without plants or brush) can add 26% to the production of BG in 6 months. Gams under the same treatment of fertilization increased production by 88%.

I wonder from time to time why the PK shrimp underperformed the Gams so significantly in Swingle's treatments. It seemed clear that the BG were getting all the PK shrimp they cared to eat. Producing more PK shrimp didn't seemed to help the BG to grow faster. So perhaps, the density of the nutrition is inferior in PK shrimp giving the BG more water to process slowing the rates they could consume prey on a dry matter basis. To be sure, I would focus particularly on cover and habitat for minnow species and focus your investment in species that have better abilities to persist in your pond than fathead minnow. I think these will ultimately go further to invigorate your food chain. This is what I would do in lieu of so many PK shrimp if I were making this choice. If the habitat is good, smaller quantities of PK shrimp will eventually expand to fill the pond so this is in no way meant to discourage trying to establish them.

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 03/18/22 12:19 PM. Reason: Mod requested to delete proprietary information

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

catscratch #545347 03/18/22 10:51 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Cat I missed your bow at 19 AC. - wow, that's an ocean! We used this stocking formula for smaller bows (.25 - 3 ac) - I’m not recommending you stock 19,000 shrimp. If you would like to chat about my experience raising and stocking PK the past 15 years feel free to reach out. We can also discuss additional forage species, but important to understand the characteristics of your fishery [species present, density, supplemental feeding, etc.], your fishery goals, and how forage species interact with each other before I spout off with recommendations. Bottom line - establishing multiple forage species that overlap in their seasonal availability is a strategy I encourage provided it's not cost prohibitive. Too much to type here - we can cover a lot more ground on a call. Feel free to reach out anytime - happy to help share my experiences. Tj@hudlandmgmt.com.

catscratch #545368 03/18/22 03:46 PM
J
Online Content
J
Hey TJ. Why would you remove the minnow species that Kenny cultures from my post? The reason suggests the information is proprietary but I just don't understand. Kenny has reported significantly about them here so it public information. Maybe he doesn't have stock to sell at the moment but this doesn't mean its a trade secret or anything like that.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

catscratch #545381 03/18/22 08:15 PM
C
C
if it cuts into profits or is about politics it gets touchy and can be censored? I thought Creationism vs Evolution was a forbidden topic too but that one thread earlier this month slipped through. I would be curious to know too how different fish can be trademarked or patented for one party's use. I noted this happened when someone trademarked a Specklebellied Sunfish, and I wasn't sure how you could trademark a fish or fish hybrid. Wasn't there also a Georgia Gorilla strain of panfish too? crazy

Last edited by canyoncreek; 03/18/22 08:16 PM.
catscratch #545382 03/18/22 08:49 PM
Lunker
Lunker
See edit note: Mod requested to delete proprietary information.

Kenny does not market nor sell bnm or rs and it’s his decision to do so at his discretion. Thank you for understanding.

teehjaeh57 #545385 03/18/22 09:10 PM
J
Online Content
J
See edit note: Mod requested to delete proprietary information.

Kenny does not market nor sell bnm or rs and it’s his decision to do so at his discretion. Thank you for your interest!

OK. Thank you for replying TJ. I wasn't aware that Kenny does not market or sell BNM or RSH. I've been plugging his RSH and BNM for much too long, I guess. Kenny, all you had to do was ask me to take it out because you don't market or sell BNM or RSH. I would have taken that out myself.

teehjaeh57 #545387 03/18/22 09:36 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Cat I missed your bow at 19 AC. - wow, that's an ocean! We used this stocking formula for smaller bows (.25 - 3 ac) - I’m not recommending you stock 19,000 shrimp. If you would like to chat about my experience raising and stocking PK the past 15 years feel free to reach out. We can also discuss additional forage species, but important to understand the characteristics of your fishery [species present, density, supplemental feeding, etc.], your fishery goals, and how forage species interact with each other before I spout off with recommendations. Bottom line - establishing multiple forage species that overlap in their seasonal availability is a strategy I encourage provided it's not cost prohibitive. Too much to type here - we can cover a lot more ground on a call. Feel free to reach out anytime - happy to help share my experiences. Tj@hudlandmgmt.com.

Thanks for the advice and offer to help. I'll email you in a week or so to exchange numbers. I probably won't be able to give you enough of the information that you'll want but I always like to talk ponds and fishing.

catscratch #545388 03/18/22 09:37 PM
Lunker
Lunker
JP I don’t think anyone expects or deserves an apology it’s just that intra and interstate transport of fish, especially those considered non native invasive, and discussed on a public forum, raises some concerns. Kenny followed protocol and addressed mods/friends to adjust a post by a few words. While Kenny may be engaged in some grow out experiments he does not market nor sell these fish and wanted that established. Let’s enjoy some family time and enjoy the weekend.

catscratch #545389 03/18/22 09:40 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted by catscratch

Thanks for the advice and offer to help. I'll email you in a week or so to exchange numbers. I probably won't be able to give you enough of the information that you'll want but I always like to talk ponds and fishing.
Originally Posted by catscratch

Hey buddy that’s what I’m here for. Feel free to reach out anytime. Forage is a complex topic but nothing we can’t knock out. I’m happy to help however I can all PB family members avoid all my mistakes!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails