Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W), 765 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#544254 02/18/22 10:38 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Hello all,
new member here. I have pond about 1 acre in size. I was built in about 1993 from what I was told by the previous owner. It is shallow at this point after years of neglect and filling in with silt. But has potential to be about 6-8 feet deep if it would stay full. It does fill up with heavy rains and it seems to hold water some years better than others. I'm not currently planning to rebuild it or do major work on it but would like to keep it somewhat full for the deer and wildlife that use it. It does have bass, bluegill and a few catfish. The overflow pond below it is usually pretty full and always muddy in color but I see no visual water running into it. The PVC overflow pipe appears to be loose as I can paddle out to it in a john boat and twist it. Should it be tight? If so, is there a way to seal the joint at the elbow that's under water? Someone suggested Flex Seal but I have no idea if that would work and what type to use. Any suggestions for a rookie pond owner/maintainer would be appreciated.
Thanks and take care, Dave

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum Dave! Yes, it should be tight. Can you tell if the overflow elbow is in the pond bottom or suspended ? To use any type of sealer you have to go swimming in the pond, or pull up the vertical overflow pipe out of the elbow to let it drain down so the elbow is at the water surface.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by esshup
Welcome to the forum Dave! Yes, it should be tight. Can you tell if the overflow elbow is in the pond bottom or suspended ? To use any type of sealer you have to go swimming in the pond, or pull up the vertical overflow pipe out of the elbow to let it drain down so the elbow is at the water surface.

Thanks esshup. I will have to check it again and see where the elbow sits. I think the vertical pipe will pull out but need to check it as well. It will probably be next week before I physically get up there again. If the vertical pipe pulls out what sort of sealant should I use?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Hideaway Acres

Thanks esshup. I will have to check it again and see where the elbow sits. I think the vertical pipe will pull out but need to check it as well. It will probably be next week before I physically get up there again. If the vertical pipe pulls out what sort of sealant should I use?

What diameter is the vertical pipe?

Sealing the pipe underwater will be problematic, for a couple of reasons. 1) The biofilm that is on the pipe will need to be removed on both the elbow and the vertical pipe. 2) It could be that the elbow cracked and that is what is allowing the glued seal to break on the vertical pipe. 3) How will you apply the sealer to the pipe?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The pond below the main pond could be murky/muddy from bullheads or catfish in it constantly rooting around in the bottom for food.

How far below the water surface is the elbow?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
OP Offline
H
OK...I think it's a 12 inch pipe. My best estimate is the elbow is probably only about 2 feet under surface right now. I was up there yesterday but didn't take the john boat out so will do more investigating when I'm there again. Sounds like I really need to inspect the elbow for cracks regardless. More to follow. Thanks and stay tuned!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OK...I think it's a 12 inch pipe. My best estimate is the elbow is probably only about 2 feet under surface right now. I was up there yesterday but didn't take the john boat out so will do more investigating when I'm there again. Sounds like I really need to inspect the elbow for cracks regardless. More to follow. Thanks and stay tuned!

If it's only that far below the surface, I'd really be tempted to pull the vertical pipe out, let it drain and then fix it with less water to deal with. If you are worried about the water level, do it before your rainy season starts.

If it's the type that has a gasket around it, then maybe it's time the gasket is replaced? https://www.siteone.com/en/1200-35-...in-sdr-35-gasket-joint-sold-per-/p/29675

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
OP Offline
H
That's what I was thinking as well. Get the water out of the way prior to attempting a repair. It will re-fill quickly with good rainfall. It's a white PVC pipe and I doubt they went for a gasket type back in '93 when it was built. If it's like other things done on the property it's likely they went the cheapest way possible. :>) But time will tell. Thanks again for the continuing advice.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's what I was thinking as well. Get the water out of the way prior to attempting a repair. It will re-fill quickly with good rainfall. It's a white PVC pipe and I doubt they went for a gasket type back in '93 when it was built. If it's like other things done on the property it's likely they went the cheapest way possible. :>) But time will tell. Thanks again for the continuing advice.

They may just have shoved it in there and let it be. Drain down, if you can get the elbow off the horizontal pipe, do so. Once the water is down to that level, clean everything very well, use a slow set PVC glue. Glue the vertical piece to the elbow on dry land, let it set up. Drive some stakes into the ground on the shore on either side of the PVC pipe, making sure that they are pretty strong. Have a ratchet strap in place that will be long enough to hold the elbow onto the horizontal piece. Glue other side of the elbow liberally, shove it on the horizontal piece, twist 30°-45° so that the vertical pipe is vertical, use ratchet strap(s) to hold it in place on the horizontal pipe while it is curing. I'd also get a trash rack to put on the vertical pipe so nothing can go down it and plug it.

You may not get the glue to stick around 100% of the horizontal pipe, but enough will stick to hold it in place once it cures.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
OP Offline
H

They may just have shoved it in there and let it be. Drain down, if you can get the elbow off the horizontal pipe, do so. Once the water is down to that level, clean everything very well, use a slow set PVC glue. Glue the vertical piece to the elbow on dry land, let it set up. Drive some stakes into the ground on the shore on either side of the PVC pipe, making sure that they are pretty strong. Have a ratchet strap in place that will be long enough to hold the elbow onto the horizontal piece. Glue other side of the elbow liberally, shove it on the horizontal piece, twist 30°-45° so that the vertical pipe is vertical, use ratchet strap(s) to hold it in place on the horizontal pipe while it is curing. I'd also get a trash rack to put on the vertical pipe so nothing can go down it and plug it.

You may not get the glue to stick around 100% of the horizontal pipe, but enough will stick to hold it in place once it cures.

Sounds like a plan. Will advise as things progress.

1 member likes this: esshup
H
OP Offline
H
I inspected the pipe more thoroughly on Sunday. The elbow actually sits about 5 feet under the surface, looks less deep from the bank due to clear water I guess. Both the vertical pipe and the elbow now seem secure, they're not loose applying normal force. I didn't want to really put my weight behind it twisting for fear of breaking something. I did look down the vertical pipe and saw water in the pipe at the elbow level. It was static, not flowing. Is that normal? Any other thoughts??

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I inspected the pipe more thoroughly on Sunday. The elbow actually sits about 5 feet under the surface, looks less deep from the bank due to clear water I guess. Both the vertical pipe and the elbow now seem secure, they're not loose applying normal force. I didn't want to really put my weight behind it twisting for fear of breaking something. I did look down the vertical pipe and saw water in the pipe at the elbow level. It was static, not flowing. Is that normal? Any other thoughts??

If there is water sitting in the pipe and it's not dry on the inside, AND there isn't water coming out the other side, it's either 1) Blocked or 2) at the incorrect pitch.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
OP Offline
H
OK, looking down the pipe I can see water at the level where the elbow is attached. It's not moving that I can tell and is well below the waterline of the pond. No evidence of water coming out the other side but the overflow pond is still quite full...will look some more this coming weekend.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images