Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#543249 01/21/22 09:40 AM
D
Dergib Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I've lurked around here for the past year or so. Just purchased a parcel of land that is attached to a shared 16 acre pond that iat its deepest is 18 ft. I had an expert come look at the pond after our purchased and they recommended we get the phragmites down around the pond and add some tree or cover for the fish. Osprey and eagles frequent the pond. They also recommended aeration but admitted it would take a large system based on the pond and the other owners would likely need to be on board. Algae isn't a problem but man the weeds are a bear in the shallows. So far we've caught bass, white crappie, perch, bluegill, catfish, carp and even a large shad. Id love to add trout but not sure if its feasible based on location (SE MI). Just hear to learn.

Dergib #543250 01/21/22 09:58 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Welcome aboard!

Originally Posted by Dergib
Just hear to learn.
Not sure if this is a typo or profound* - I've always learned more while hearing than while talking.

* - so you get points for a double entendre, albeit a clean one.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Dergib #543258 01/21/22 12:03 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum Dergib! Trout could be added, but with the understanding that they are a seasonal fish and would most likely die out around the end of June depending on how far North you are in Mi. Also, since you are in Mi., any fish stocking has to be approved by the State of Michigan if the pond has a permanent inflow or outflow device (a pipe, etc).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #543288 01/21/22 08:51 PM
D
Dergib Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thank you. No inflow or outflow so dodged that bullet. I had a wonderful guy down from Northern MI come check out the pond last fall and he sells trout and said he'd be happy to stock it but that they won't live come July.

Dergib #543291 01/22/22 02:54 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thank you. No inflow or outflow so dodged that bullet. I had a wonderful guy down from Northern MI come check out the pond last fall and he sells trout and said he'd be happy to stock it but that they won't live come July.

What city are you near in Mi? I know a number of trout hatcheries that went out of business, but know of at least one that is still going strong.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #543309 01/22/22 07:34 PM
D
Dergib Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by esshup

What city are you near in Mi? I know a number of trout hatcheries that went out of business, but know of at least one that is still going strong.
SE michigan. Monroe area. Ive looked around and most are a good 3 hour drive which isn't ideal to transport decent sized fish. I see no point to stock the 4-6 inch knowing they'll die.

Dergib #543310 01/22/22 10:03 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Do you expect or are thinking the trout to live year round or do you expect them to die each Jul-Aug summer? There are a few trout places closer to Monroe than 3 hrs.

I question the depth of knowledge of your expert if he is suggesting to add trees for structure /cover when the lake has too many weeds in shallow water as you mentioned. Extensive herbicide treatments will get expensive for the HOA. No1 Can you provide an estimate of what percentage of the surface area is covered with weeds. No2 Do you know all the names of the weed species growing in the shallows in the lake?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/22/22 10:09 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Bill Cody #543314 01/23/22 08:38 AM
D
Dergib Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
Do you expect or are thinking the trout to live year round or do you expect them to die each Jul-Aug summer? There are a few trout places closer to Monroe than 3 hrs.

I question the depth of knowledge of your expert if he is suggesting to add trees for structure /cover when the lake has too many weeds in shallow water as you mentioned. Extensive herbicide treatments will get expensive for the HOA. No1 Can you provide an estimate of what percentage of the surface area is covered with weeds. No2 Do you know all the names of the weed species growing in the shallows in the lake?

I'd expect them to die as I'm not sure how cool the water stays at depth in the summer. The pond is supposedlyspring fed but I think it's more ground water table based on my knowledge of the area. With 17 acres I'm thinking the amount of trout I'd need to stock to see if they lived would be high. Maybe I'm wrong here? Bass fishing is amazing as is crappie. My first year from the bank I caught a 2 lb white crappie and a 5lb bass.

I'd say coverage of weeds is right around 25-35%. The most common are milfoil and floating leaf pondweed and then the phragmktes which are just on the shore edge. The pondweed is thickest and makes bank fishing challenging until I cut it with a throw razor and then rake it out. It makes great compost. The individual who came down to look at it is from the Traverse City area. Id share his name and company but not sure if that's permitted. The individual seemed knowledge and was helpful and was recommended by a local conservation district but they also use his services for an annual fish sale.

Which trout suppliers would you suggest? I was hoping the trout farm in Dexter would sell to the public but was told they will not. The other nearest I found was in Jackson, MI. Im hoping to learn .ore and more about the pond as we just purchased the property over a year ago and only one year of being over there.

Last edited by Dergib; 01/23/22 08:42 AM.
Dergib #543330 01/23/22 09:38 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I'd say coverage of weeds is right around 25-35%. The most common are milfoil and floating leaf pondweed

I would ask the expert why fallen trees are needed for structure if there is 25% weed coverage that is by itself considered good fish habitat. With this much habitat in 16 acres to consistently catch fish, one would need to use unique angler methods that involve weed habitat adapted fishing.

To determine survivability of trout one would need to do a water temperature and dissolved oxygen (DO) study in deepest areas of the lake during the heat of summer lateJuly - early Aug to search for any cool water (65F) high DO (5ppm) refuge areas that exist. If none are found then trout would be a seasonal fishery.

If you are catching 4- 5 lb LMB then stocked trout should be 12"-14" to insure survivability. Having a successful seasonal quality trout fishery is not a cheap endeavor. Also unless the trout are fed pellets do not expect them to grow very much from fall to summer kill heat period. This is because the lake is at close to natural fish carrying capacity which means for not a lot of excess natural foods available because the current fishery is eating most all the available foods. Any new adult size fish would have to hunt hard to find enough foods to grow unless there is an abundance under utilized food that is not being used by the current fish community - very doubtful this easily available food exists. I don't think trout are all that naturally competitive compared to the current fish community in your lake.

I would check back with Spring Valley Trout to see if they would provide a couple names of trout suppliers. Trout farmers know well the competition. Sharing it is sometimes the problem. Check with the local game warden for names of closest trout farms. Michigan probably has an Aquaculture Association. Check it for names of trout farms. You should be able to arrange a piggy back or shared fish delivery during fall trout stocking time. To make the trout fishery a decent success for numerous anglers I think around 300-400 trout (20-30/ac) would need to be stocked in October. If you frequently fed the trout pellets they would be a lot easier to locate and catch. Laggis Fish Farm in Gobles MI sells fall trout. He might share / split a delivery with you if you buy enough trout.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/23/22 10:02 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
1 member likes this: Dergib
Dergib #543332 01/23/22 10:20 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
John Nelski who owns Crystal Springs Farms is a LOT easier to work with than Dan Laggis........

Crystal Springs Farms, LLC
Address: 501 W River Rd, Muskegon, MI 49445
Phone: (231) 719-0335

If John has Golden Rainbow Trout, those are a little bit more aggressive in striking at lures than regular Rainbow Trout. I put a dozen in a customers 4 acre pond without him knowing about it. He has friends of his ice fish the pond and he fishes it a lot during the winter. I knew my phone would blow up as soon as one was caught. LOL They caught all 12 out of the pond before they died. They even released the ones that they caught up until March, then they started keeping them. I agree 110% with Bill, stock them at a minimum of 1# each, 1.5#-2# per fish would be even better.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

1 member likes this: Dergib

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??