Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
S
Originally Posted by azteca
Hello.

The test seems conclusive.

All the places where I put these white ribbons, especially where there are apple trees have not been touched,
https://ibb.co/WDd1mcL
A+

Thanks, I am going to try that. I built a very large garden that I really don't want to fence in. The deer have been walking through it but nothing that has popped out of the ground is very big for them to eat just yet. White ribbon sounds cheap and easy which is my kind of thing. (Don't tell my wife I said that. She'll think I'm talking about her.)

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I’ve tried hot wire and found that deer sometimes lunge against it. Some times it works but not 100%.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
We use deer and rabbit repellent from tractor supply and it actually works… smells to high heaven though……

C
Online Content
C
The 5' cages work best for me. Even if I could get them to stop eating them with ribbons or chemicals they seem to like them as rub trees.

S
S
Motel/Hotel soap bar in a piece of pantyhose hung on tree/plant. More it rains the more it's smells like Ode Defuffoo #5 (perfume)..

G
G
since this thread started I planted a patch of blueberry plants and put an electric wire around them powered by solar, and it barely deterred them at all, they chewed em down a good bit, they still alive tho, since the weather has warmed up, longer days and more sunshine it seems to be working a lot better, I also heard of a style of electric fence that is supposed to work great for deer, you put a three wire fence up, I gotta google the dimensions again but seems like on wire about 24" off the ground and another at about 3' then a third wire about 24" to the inside or outside of the other two staggered in elevation from the first two, something about making it a wider fence to jump over and a little harder to slide under. I was going to figure out how to make a standoff to attach to a fence post to hold the other wire out like that, may be able to mow up under the wire and a little easier to put up,,, but alas, I got busy and havent got to it yet.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
H
H
gehajake,
My in-laws had a terrible problem with deer eating their landscaping until an old farmer told them to put a single strand of electric fence about 6 inches off the ground. I doubted that would work myself but 4 years later and they no longer have any problems with deer. It sounds crazy I know but you learn something new everyday. For fruit trees at the cabin I cut 10 foot sections of 2x4 fencing wire, drove 2 T post on opposite sides of each tree and formed a circle around each tied to the T posts about 10 inches off the ground to bush hog. I’ve had no problems with deer since I put them up last summer. The T post idea came from someone on here but I can’t remember who did it, maybe RAH?

1 member likes this: gehajake
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Turn the power to the electric fence off. Put a piece of tin foil on it, and smear some Peanut Butter on the tinfoil. Turn the fence back on. The deer will lick the tinfoil and won't like it a bit.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: RAH
The key to fence away deer is to place 2 rows of fence about 24" apart. If you want to try a low wire perimeter, you should have better success with 2 rows of wire.

"Live your life so that when you sing your death song, you will die like a hero who is going home with no shame to meet the Creator and your family." - Tecumseh; April 9, 1809
1 member likes this: gehajake
G
G
Originally Posted by Heppy
gehajake,
My in-laws had a terrible problem with deer eating their landscaping until an old farmer told them to put a single strand of electric fence about 6 inches off the ground. I doubted that would work myself but 4 years later and they no longer have any problems with deer. It sounds crazy I know but you learn something new everyday. For fruit trees at the cabin I cut 10 foot sections of 2x4 fencing wire, drove 2 T post on opposite sides of each tree and formed a circle around each tied to the T posts about 10 inches off the ground to bush hog. I’ve had no problems with deer since I put them up last summer. The T post idea came from someone on here but I can’t remember who did it, maybe RAH?

It may have been me that talked about a fence off the ground for mowing purposes, I did that for my fruit trees several yrs ago and love it.
As for the wire 6 inches above the ground, that may work great, Ive been doing that at home around my garden for yrs to keep coons and possums out of my tomatoes, a hot wire about 4 inches off the ground then a grounded wire about 4" above that with another hot wire about 4" above it, the whole thing is only about a ft tall but I haven't had a varmint or a deer in my garden since, I just figured I got lucky on the deer part, didnt realize that low wire may have been keeping them out.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images