Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
coonriver, ChrisOh, Brev, Dergib, Mom
17,570 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics39,398
Posts535,245
Members17,571
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 26,143
ewest 20,833
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,997
Who's Online Now
10 members (John Fitzgerald, sprkplug, jpsdad, TexasTalara, RAH, TxomaD4, FireIsHot, Sunil, highflyer, Pat Williamson), 149 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 128 of 128 1 2 126 127 128
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 847
Likes: 118
A
Offline
A
Joined: Oct 2018
Posts: 847
Likes: 118
I'm not sure that "normal" winters exist in Misery. I've seen winters where there was little to no ice, and I've seen them where the ponds froze in late December and didn't open back up until late in February.

Last winter we had a lot of ice for a long time. I was lucky that it didn't do any noticeable damage to my dock, but I can't imagine that it did it any good.

If the single diffuser can't keep the entire dock free I've got another one that I can hang on the opposite side of the gangway.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,665
Likes: 50
T
Offline
T
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,665
Likes: 50
A lot going on at the farm right now. Dozer is building my Duck ponds which will also be used for raising forage fish. Did a walk around the pond to check on the feeders and it's time to refill the two TH Feeders. And I noticed the shorelines that get the most sunlight is loaded with small Bg of different sizes ranging from 1" to 4". Lots and Lots of them. And the smaller-sized lmb wait for one to make a mistake. And the Bauld Eagle is back and guarding the pond every day. I don't think he wants to share his dinner table. I believe he is feeding on the Tp that is slowing down and dying off due to colder water temps. Turned off the diffused aeration for the winter.

Last edited by TGW1; 11/23/21 06:24 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.


Tracy
1 member likes this: anthropic
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 3,091
Likes: 95
A
Offline
A
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 3,091
Likes: 95
Got two truckloads of lime into the water today. Last year had one load, but didn't seem to help much with hardness & alkalinity. Doggone east Texas infertile soil & pines!

Those tiny fry I saw a few weeks ago have either been eaten or grown quite a lot. Now I'm seeing scads of one to three inch fish in same spots. Look more like BG now that they are bigger.

Fishing buddy caught lake record HSB a week ago, longer than the net & husky fellow. Didn't measure weight, had to be in 8 to 10 lb range. What few LMB we catch seem pretty plump. CNBG & BG have almost vanished into deep water.

Glad to report no dirty cormorants so far. I know that won't last, but enjoy it for as long as I can. And I still occasionally see schools of TFS, they haven't been wiped out yet!

Last edited by anthropic; 12/16/21 03:36 PM.

7ac, 2015 CNBG, RES, FHM; 2016 TP, FLMB. 2017 NLMB & GSH,L. 2018 TP & 70 HSB, PK. 2019 TP, RBT,. 2020 TFS,TP, 25 HSB & 250 F1,L,RBT, -206. 2021 TFS,TP, GSH,L,-312




Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 980
Likes: 118
F
Lunker
Offline
Lunker
F
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 980
Likes: 118
Originally Posted by anthropic
Got two truckloads of lime into the water today. Last year had one load, but didn't seem to help much with hardness & alkalinity. Doggone east Texas infertile soil & pines!

Good job improving the productivity of your pond!

Originally Posted by anthropic
Fishing buddy caught lake record HSB a week ago, longer than the net & husky fellow. Didn't measure weight, had to be in 8 to 10 lb range. What few LMB we catch seem pretty plump.

Nice correlation. People that work hard to improve the water also improve the fish! I can't wait to see if you guys break the HSB and LMB records next spring.

Joined: May 2014
Posts: 3,091
Likes: 95
A
Offline
A
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 3,091
Likes: 95
Thanks for encouraging words, Rod. Still a work in progress, constant battle against soil & pine needles!


7ac, 2015 CNBG, RES, FHM; 2016 TP, FLMB. 2017 NLMB & GSH,L. 2018 TP & 70 HSB, PK. 2019 TP, RBT,. 2020 TFS,TP, 25 HSB & 250 F1,L,RBT, -206. 2021 TFS,TP, GSH,L,-312




Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,532
Likes: 61
P
Online Content
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,532
Likes: 61
Went fishing for a few minutes yesterday and noticed the slender spikerush is about to take over out to 6’. Anyone else have this stuff? If so can it be controlled with GC?

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 980
Likes: 118
F
Lunker
Offline
Lunker
F
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 980
Likes: 118
Pat,

I have seen some articles that say that it is tough to treat with herbicides. Therefore, they recommend biologic controls - such as grass carp.

The link below recommends GC. It also lists Diquat or Fluridone (Sonar) as the recommended herbicides. (The Sonar would be really expensive for a pond as large as yours!)

https://dwr.virginia.gov/fishing/aquatic-plant-id-and-treatment/emergent/slender-spikerush/


I normally like the TAMU stuff and use their info where it applies in Kansas. However, their link to spikerush control say there are no good biologic controls. They also say there are four different species in Texas, so I included that link.

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/spike-rush/


I can't remember if you have crayfish in your pond. The aquatic portion of the of the spikerush seems like something they would really like. However, I can't find anybody saying that crayfish will prune it back?

I also found you an old PB thread. No one had any great biologic answers in that thread. There were some mixed results on the Diquat.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=231412#Post231412

Good luck on your project.

Hopefully you can get an expert or another Pond Bosser from your area that has beaten it to chime in!

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,532
Likes: 61
P
Online Content
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,532
Likes: 61
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Pat,

I have seen some articles that say that it is tough to treat with herbicides. Therefore, they recommend biologic controls - such as grass carp.

The link below recommends GC. It also lists Diquat or Fluridone (Sonar) as the recommended herbicides. (The Sonar would be really expensive for a pond as large as yours!)

https://dwr.virginia.gov/fishing/aquatic-plant-id-and-treatment/emergent/slender-spikerush/


I normally like the TAMU stuff and use their info where it applies in Kansas. However, their link to spikerush control say there are no good biologic controls. They also say there are four different species in Texas, so I included that link.

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identification/alphabetical-index/spike-rush/



I can't remember if you have crayfish in your pond. The aquatic portion of the of the spikerush seems like something they would really like. However, I can't find anybody saying that crayfish will prune it back?

I also found you an old PB thread. No one had any great biologic answers in that thread. There were some mixed results on the Diquat.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=231412#Post231412

Good luck on your project.

Hopefully you can get an expert or another Pond Bosser from your area that has beaten it to chime in!

Well it seems there is a lot of confusion about this weed. Mine is the totally underwater variety that Kelly Duffie pictured. Don’t know if grass carp will eat it or not. Even Todd Overton doesn’t seem to know.

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 980
Likes: 118
F
Lunker
Offline
Lunker
F
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 980
Likes: 118
Pat,

I agree about all of the confusion. I have seen the totally aquatic slender spikerush AND the emergent terrestrial plant that grows where it only requires "wet feet".

Those seem like two different environmental niches to me. I suspect different species and perhaps even different genera.

Maybe you should post it in the "Controlling Unwanted Plants" forum? It sounds like it is well established in your pond. If it is hurting your fishing, then my 2 cents is to start battling it.

Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,532
Likes: 61
P
Online Content
P
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 3,532
Likes: 61
I’m just wondering if grass carp will eat it, TAMU says no but are they talking about the underwater kind or the dark green mostly above water clumpy kind that Mr Cody was probably referring to

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 12/24/21 03:11 PM.
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,374
Likes: 77
R
Offline
R
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,374
Likes: 77
Today is my 1st ice over the winter. It is very thin for sure but covered the pond which also looks cool. I have had some along the edges for last few days and little bit of snow. It's also been a fairly warm winter so far.


The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 980
Likes: 118
F
Lunker
Offline
Lunker
F
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 980
Likes: 118
I am betting you DID NOT see your koi fish lounging in the shallow water yesterday before the ice over!

Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,374
Likes: 77
R
Offline
R
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,374
Likes: 77
I havnt seen them in a month or so now. Still havnt seen the smaller ones yet.


The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Page 128 of 128 1 2 126 127 128

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
J. E. Craig
Recent Posts
Titan Bass
by jpsdad - 01/24/22 05:38 PM
Prescribed Fire
by Tbar - 01/24/22 04:13 PM
Cormorants.
by esshup - 01/24/22 03:29 PM
8 acre pond at 10,000' - lots of aeration ?s
by Bill Cody - 01/24/22 02:24 PM
Is this red algae?
by FireIsHot - 01/24/22 01:21 PM
Aeration holes.
by azteca - 01/24/22 09:42 AM
Planning stages for new earthen pond
by FishinRod - 01/24/22 08:56 AM
Hydroseeding-DIY
by day18 - 01/24/22 06:22 AM
Cost of Stock Tank
by esshup - 01/23/22 09:24 PM
New Member
by esshup - 01/23/22 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame - 2022
by Pond Boss - 01/23/22 12:13 PM
NW Indiana dug Feb 2021
by Hirsch56 - 01/23/22 09:09 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Fry
Fry
by CityDad, January 20
Baldcypress
Baldcypress
by Stressless, January 11
Still active
Still active
by Shorty, December 15
Using FishMap
Using FishMap
by Stressless, December 9
Tilapia catching season
Tilapia catching season
by Quixotic, December 5
Coyote on Deer Opening Day
Coyote on Deer Opening Day
by Theo Gallus, November 29

� 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5