Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
pondymcpondy, Nicron, turbo2liter, JassyBorm, HenrysHollow
17,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics39,232
Posts532,821
Members17,483
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 25,872
ewest 20,752
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,857
Who's Online Now
6 members (STP, Quarter Acre, Theo Gallus, RStringer, anthropic, RAH), 72 guests, and 137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Glad to try and help. The concept has merit and possibilities but the how to is uncertain. There are a lot of talented/smart/knowledgeable members here - a whole lot more than 3. Some have "book smarts" , some have decades of extensive actual experience and others have some to lots of both. If you ask all the knowledgeable posters I think the consensus would be that we are not sure there is a expert here on any subject with the exception of Bill (on all matters plankton). Everyone of those talented/smart/knowledgeable members will tell you there are far more questions than answers and that there is likely no one correct answer - we just don't know. One thing to keep in mind is there are a lot of visitors (many non-posters) who know little, that are looking for help and like doctors we have to be careful to do no harm (lead them to misunderstood conclusions and bad results).

The way it works now is unstructured , as you would expect given all the characters and approaches. The Mods and talented/smart/knowledgeable members watch the active topics and chime in where they want. Most times there is no need IMO for 6 or 7 knowledgeable people to chime in if they agree with how one of their compatriots addresses a topic. Especially on subjects that have been addressed (see archives) numerous times. Sometimes we just say "we agree" or " + 1".

Thoughts ?

1 member likes this: teehjaeh57
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
FishinRod, There are a few others that have Admin capabilities, but Bob has the final say in regards to changing things with the layout of the forum.

Speaking for myself, I don't want the Admin capabilities, I'd be too afraid of screwing something up permanently.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Thanks for the thoughtful replies!

I definitely was not looking for "consensus", because that is not science. When I see a reply from one of the people that I know is knowledgeable on that topic, that usually settles it for me. Seeing a +1 or "I agree" certainly serves to remove all doubt!

I was just spit-balling ideas. Unfortunately, I thread-jacked this post a little. (Sorry, Gpugh!)

However, I was struck by the idea while observing three of our experts each discuss the same topic from three slightly different points of view.

I was also thinking along the lines of ewest's comments about book smarts and years of experience. There could be some synergistic value in having a collaboration between the person that did their masters thesis on the topic with the person that has managed ponds for 25 years based on that research.

Thanks again for all you do! I think Pond Boss provides an awesome knowledge base. I am also amazed at how well-stocked our big pond is with truly "good folks".

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
FishinRod - I think you should present your idea to the Pond Boss editor. It could be a new or an occassional feature in the magazine. Lusk is always looking for ways to improve the magazine. ewest's post above very well summarizes the activities, mission and participation of the forum .

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/28/21 09:16 PM.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Bill,

+1!

G
Gpugh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Just sent Bill some pics of a HSB a friend caught out of my pond this evening, I sacrificed it to see what it has been eating. I sent the pics of the fish and it’s stomach contents to Bill and he said they were GSF, YESSSS!!! There is hope after all!
Thank you very much Bill and everyone else who pitched in with all your knowledge, this site is absolutely amazing! Looks like if I can keep removing the larger GSF, my babies ( HSB ) can keep the youngsters under control.

2 members like this: 4CornersPuddle, FishinRod
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
You should be somewhat able to monitor how well the HSB are controlling the greenies. The partially decomposed GSF eaten looked close to 1.5 to 1.7" long as original sized fish. Use cloverleaf fish traps to sample how many GSF that you are able to catch each fall during a week or set number of days of setting a consistent number of traps. Keep track of how many GSF that you catch. As the numbers each year goes up or down will give you a good indication of how many greenies that are present compared to prior years. When numbers of greenies increase for a year I would add more HSB or other bass species. Plan on each bass to eat 260-340 small fish each year if bass are not eating lots of pellets daily.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
J
Do those GSF look comparable to this?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jpsdad; 10/09/21 08:21 PM.

Common sense is not so common - Voltaire

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

G
Gpugh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Jpsdad, yep they are about like that expect they are all different sizes

J
J
Gpugh, my daughter caught that fish at a nearby pond on a popping bug that was half the length of that fish! She was so proud of it ... she made me take a picture. She framed it well I thought. Anyways, she's becoming a pretty good fly fisher and caught many good sized ones too. In order of prevalence of number caught GSF (probably 75%), LES(probably 15%), HBG (probably 10%), and finally BG (~5%). I would bet the greatest number and weight, however, are BG which tend to have the largest proportion of standing weight. BG are just pickier about taking flies I guess.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

G
Gpugh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Jpsdad, she can fish my pond anytime, hell she might even catch a bigger one here if these greenies keep growing like they are, if not the HSB are waiting for her, lol

J
J
Gpugh, That would be great. She loves to fish. Don't know when or if I will ever be in the neighborhood but if close I will make an effort to reach out to see if it can happen. We could sip some tea or beer while she shows us how! LOL. This reminds me of when my wife and I were young and I was just taking up fly fishing. She wanted a fly outfit too and we got one prior to a trip to Colorado. So she fished and so did I. One day we went to Roaring Judy near Gunnison and fished the ponds below the hatchery. I was struggling that day but when I circled back without a fish I saw my bride with 4 or 5 folks sitting behind her while she casted ... asking questions like ... "Is it hard" ... "How long have you been fishing" ...etc. She had already landed and strung up 5 fish. I couldn't have been more pleased. I just sat down with the others and soaked it in. Its a really fond memory I like to recall from time to time. Its all about making memories worth remembering, Gpugh. I know you'll make a lot great ones there.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Brad Bortz, kennyboy1951, Riverdale, Wikedhd
Recent Posts
I Have A Poacher…
by anthropic - 10/24/21 10:34 PM
East Texas Water Levels
by anthropic - 10/24/21 10:31 PM
Newish Quarter to Third Acre Pond
by STP - 10/24/21 08:46 PM
Laying Fiber Optics- Free Fish Habitat
by RAH - 10/24/21 01:06 PM
How fish adapt. Sciency but fascinating!
by esshup - 10/23/21 10:26 PM
Hello- Thoughts/Opinions appreciated!
by Savage - 10/23/21 03:33 PM
Best scope for 22 cal rifle
by RAH - 10/23/21 02:50 PM
My front yard cow pond
by Augie - 10/23/21 08:50 AM
Help identifying Species
by Hilochee - 10/22/21 09:34 AM
Trail cam pics
by esshup - 10/22/21 09:27 AM
Newly Uploaded Images