Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
pondymcpondy, Nicron, turbo2liter, JassyBorm, HenrysHollow
17,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics39,232
Posts532,821
Members17,483
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 25,872
ewest 20,752
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,857
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 77 guests, and 108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I hate fishing yall....

I had 20 minutes to fish after taking care of the pigs before losing the sunlight.
First cast I thought I was hung on the brush I was casting at until my line starts running away.

Fight for a good 2 minutes with a big large mouth, easily the biggest I've seen in the pond. Not a world record, but north of 3lbs maybe pretty far north and I was on my light set up.
He jumped out of the water 4 times giving me a good look at him.

He broke my line literally at the bank/water line.

Hope he survives the lure stuck in his mouth so I can catch him again.

Local weatherman says the rainy season is over. I will believe it whenI see it, but its definitely been dry the last week or two. I'm hoping for one more big storm this year personally. Hopefully soon to fill my pond and get water into my forage fields for the pigs.

Im going to ask a lot of questions, but only because I'm clueless

5-20 Acres in Florida. Bass/Tilapia/Bowfin/Gator
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by CityDad
I hate fishing yall....

Yet later in the post you hope to catch her again!

If you are going to have an addiction, it is much better to have a "productive" one, rather than a "destructive" one.

Did you inspect your line at the break? A little squiggle in the line usually means you broke at the knot. You may need to start tying a different style of knot.

The other problem may be that you had that lure tied on for a significant period of time. I don't know the research, but I usually re-tie my lures periodically. I always seem to get more break-offs when the fishing has been good, and I am too "greedy" to take a time-out and re-tie. Then you get a big fish that breaks you off.

I also cut off 6-8' of line during the re-tie, to get rid of any nicks that might have developed in the line.

Good luck catching her again! (That way you can take that other lure out of her mouth.)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I see a goodly number of fish lost at the bank because many people don't have a net to net the fish. It's hard to get them tired out enough to get them close enough to shore to grab them - any time they touch the bottom, a weed, a stick, etc. they try to escape and on a short line there is less room for error. If the drag isn't set just right, the short amount of line leaves less room for it to stretch a bit to absorb the shock of the fish darting off - Mono will stretch, the new braids won't and hooks pull out easier than with mono. With mono, any extra stress is magnified at any nick or scratch on the line, and without the extra give (even the angle of the rod matters) it might pop at the weak point.

I agree with re-tying the lure after a number of fish caught and I always feel the mono for nicks or abrasions for about the length of the rod away from the hook/lure.

2# test mono or fluorocarbon, fishing a 1/100th oz jig for BG, retie every 7-10 fish or you will be tying on a new jig shortly.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
"after a number of fish caught" -> yall vastly over estimating my fishing abilities haha.

Had my 4 y/o with me after pig chores yesterday, had one on the line then he "accidentally" fell on me while giggling and I lost it.

At this rate i WILL be getting shy fish *eyeroll*

He is cute as heck tho so its ok. After that I just chased him around the woods for a bit smile He's trying to teach my piglets to play tag!

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just realized next weekend my wife and oldest are out of town.
If I can get my parents to watch my youngest that means I'm all on my own and can spend time clearing bank space around the lake for more fishing spots, and then... you know fishing them.

Lets goooooooooooo

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
"after a number of fish caught" -> yall vastly over estimating my fishing abilities haha.

With my father, rocks and submerged trees "caught" count triple. He has to re-tie a lot! (The good side is that he has boated his share of big ones due to avoiding breaking his line.)

A
A
Woodeyes and rockfish are a good start to a pot of hobo stew.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Aight yall. THIS IS A LINK WORTH CLICKING
https://imgur.com/gallery/IfMatWj

I got stumped trying to upload the photos direct to here (anyone want to do it for me:) )

THIS GUY gives me tons of hope for the pond. A lot of the fish that grab my lines are this dark, and I assumed a bunch were bowfin or maybe plecos pecking at it.

POSITIVE I've got more of these guys to catch. Lets go!

Had some friends there today too, they had bites but failed too hookset, which amde me feel better about myself

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Since I don't have access to your Imgur account I can't do it like I do with mine. If you open your "gallery" in Imgur and click on the pencil in the upper right corner of a picture, it will pop open a picture and there will be a box on the upper right with ... in it. Click on that. Click on "get share links", click on the "copy link" for BBC forums. Then just paste that link in your post.

Here is one that I did that way:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by esshup; 10/09/21 11:52 PM.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Brad Bortz, kennyboy1951, Riverdale, Wikedhd
Recent Posts
I Have A Poacher…
by anthropic - 10/24/21 10:34 PM
East Texas Water Levels
by anthropic - 10/24/21 10:31 PM
Newish Quarter to Third Acre Pond
by STP - 10/24/21 08:46 PM
Laying Fiber Optics- Free Fish Habitat
by RAH - 10/24/21 01:06 PM
How fish adapt. Sciency but fascinating!
by esshup - 10/23/21 10:26 PM
Hello- Thoughts/Opinions appreciated!
by Savage - 10/23/21 03:33 PM
Best scope for 22 cal rifle
by RAH - 10/23/21 02:50 PM
My front yard cow pond
by Augie - 10/23/21 08:50 AM
Help identifying Species
by Hilochee - 10/22/21 09:34 AM
Trail cam pics
by esshup - 10/22/21 09:27 AM
Newly Uploaded Images