Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I hate fishing yall....

I had 20 minutes to fish after taking care of the pigs before losing the sunlight.
First cast I thought I was hung on the brush I was casting at until my line starts running away.

Fight for a good 2 minutes with a big large mouth, easily the biggest I've seen in the pond. Not a world record, but north of 3lbs maybe pretty far north and I was on my light set up.
He jumped out of the water 4 times giving me a good look at him.

He broke my line literally at the bank/water line.

Hope he survives the lure stuck in his mouth so I can catch him again.

Local weatherman says the rainy season is over. I will believe it whenI see it, but its definitely been dry the last week or two. I'm hoping for one more big storm this year personally. Hopefully soon to fill my pond and get water into my forage fields for the pigs.

Im going to ask a lot of questions, but only because I'm clueless

5-20 Acres in Florida. Bass/Tilapia/Bowfin/Gator
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by CityDad
I hate fishing yall....

Yet later in the post you hope to catch her again!

If you are going to have an addiction, it is much better to have a "productive" one, rather than a "destructive" one.

Did you inspect your line at the break? A little squiggle in the line usually means you broke at the knot. You may need to start tying a different style of knot.

The other problem may be that you had that lure tied on for a significant period of time. I don't know the research, but I usually re-tie my lures periodically. I always seem to get more break-offs when the fishing has been good, and I am too "greedy" to take a time-out and re-tie. Then you get a big fish that breaks you off.

I also cut off 6-8' of line during the re-tie, to get rid of any nicks that might have developed in the line.

Good luck catching her again! (That way you can take that other lure out of her mouth.)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I see a goodly number of fish lost at the bank because many people don't have a net to net the fish. It's hard to get them tired out enough to get them close enough to shore to grab them - any time they touch the bottom, a weed, a stick, etc. they try to escape and on a short line there is less room for error. If the drag isn't set just right, the short amount of line leaves less room for it to stretch a bit to absorb the shock of the fish darting off - Mono will stretch, the new braids won't and hooks pull out easier than with mono. With mono, any extra stress is magnified at any nick or scratch on the line, and without the extra give (even the angle of the rod matters) it might pop at the weak point.

I agree with re-tying the lure after a number of fish caught and I always feel the mono for nicks or abrasions for about the length of the rod away from the hook/lure.

2# test mono or fluorocarbon, fishing a 1/100th oz jig for BG, retie every 7-10 fish or you will be tying on a new jig shortly.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
"after a number of fish caught" -> yall vastly over estimating my fishing abilities haha.

Had my 4 y/o with me after pig chores yesterday, had one on the line then he "accidentally" fell on me while giggling and I lost it.

At this rate i WILL be getting shy fish *eyeroll*

He is cute as heck tho so its ok. After that I just chased him around the woods for a bit smile He's trying to teach my piglets to play tag!

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just realized next weekend my wife and oldest are out of town.
If I can get my parents to watch my youngest that means I'm all on my own and can spend time clearing bank space around the lake for more fishing spots, and then... you know fishing them.

Lets goooooooooooo

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
"after a number of fish caught" -> yall vastly over estimating my fishing abilities haha.

With my father, rocks and submerged trees "caught" count triple. He has to re-tie a lot! (The good side is that he has boated his share of big ones due to avoiding breaking his line.)

A
A
Woodeyes and rockfish are a good start to a pot of hobo stew.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Aight yall. THIS IS A LINK WORTH CLICKING
https://imgur.com/gallery/IfMatWj

I got stumped trying to upload the photos direct to here (anyone want to do it for me:) )

THIS GUY gives me tons of hope for the pond. A lot of the fish that grab my lines are this dark, and I assumed a bunch were bowfin or maybe plecos pecking at it.

POSITIVE I've got more of these guys to catch. Lets go!

Had some friends there today too, they had bites but failed too hookset, which amde me feel better about myself

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Since I don't have access to your Imgur account I can't do it like I do with mine. If you open your "gallery" in Imgur and click on the pencil in the upper right corner of a picture, it will pop open a picture and there will be a box on the upper right with ... in it. Click on that. Click on "get share links", click on the "copy link" for BBC forums. Then just paste that link in your post.

Here is one that I did that way:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by esshup; 10/09/21 11:52 PM.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks Esshup!

Ive only had like 1 hour broken into 4 chunks to fish lately. I think I missed the "fall fishing season" but not overly concerned.

Every time I have gone fishing I get hung up lately. Is there anything I can add to the pond that will do something about all these damn twigs, or do I just need to catch all the tree pounders and yoink em out?

A
A
I think I'd try to 1) stop throwing your lures into the brush, or 2) size up your gear.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
1- Theres so much! I was tossing into a 'safe' spot the other day and got a snag from something new frown
2- You gonna buy it for me? All my money ngoing to pig food.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Learn how to texas rig a rubber worm.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
You vastly underestimate my power to get hung on texas rigged worms. Thats what I was throwing on sunday haha

A
A
440 yard spool of 30lb test Berkley Big Game monofilament cost $7 on Amazon.

Garage sales can be a good source of inexpensive used fishing tackle.

I've got a dozen or so rod-n-reel combos waiting on the grandkids to get big enough to use.
Didn't pay over $10 for any of them.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ill be happy when oneof my kids breaks down and goes fishing with me.... I really hope that happens...

Maybe Ill spray myself with gaotr repellant and go snorkeling to pull out a bunch of the debris.

BTW WE GOT PIGLETS

Unexpected but welcome, only 1 runt out of 9 and mama doing fine with her first batch. Massive rainstorm today has me worried, since this was a surprise I dont have the shelter up that I'd like them to have

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
"BTW WE GOT PIGLETS"

Congrats!

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
"Maybe Ill spray myself with gaotr repellant and go snorkeling to pull out a bunch of the debris."

I can't recall if you have a boat? If so, you can clear a lot of debris while you remain on the surface using a grass rake (or similar item) lashed to an extra pole.

As I recall, you also have heavy vegetation on your banks. My advice would be to clear some spots on the banks for your casting stations. Then clear some channels in the pond for a few casting directions from each station. If your casting accuracy is a 5' target width at the end of the cast, then clear 6' wide channels.

As you get better with your Texas rig, you can throw one up the middle of the channel. If you don't get a bite, then start tickling through the sticks at the edges of your channels on your subsequent casts.

Even better will be the times the LMB are hitting your topwater lures. You can cast into the channels for little kids, and then let them do the retrieve. Hopefully, the result will be huge grins!

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yea, most of the time I stay out of the stationary stuff, its the surprise branches that fall in that always get me.

Clearing more banks is something I've had more time for than actually fishing. Did a little today actually.

No real boat, just a sketchy canoe and decent yak

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Looks like I'm going to get saturday for some me time. Im gonna catch all the fish!

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ill have some extra money by the end of the year for pond stocking.

Should I wait until March or is stocking in winter ok in my area? (9b, central florida water temps will typically be in the 60s in the winter)

Last edited by CityDad; 11/26/21 10:38 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
60° water temp is ideal for stocking fish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Water temps shouldnt really go under that in my area. One of the reasons I find it hard to get info online is everything says "wait until you go over 60*" well... I'm in Florida. If it goes under 60 I think we all died in a nuclear winter.
Aside from not wasting money stocking when water is ~80* info is lacking on best stocking temps/seasons in FL. Unless I'm not looking in the right place.

Doing a little googling I think the best thing to stock right now is crawfish, as they expect to spawn in january, and then do forage fish in late february.

On another note- Anyone heard of "rosie" fathead minnows? I thought if I got a few thousand when I stock shiners and bluegill they might distract the bass long enough to let the other fish spawn/grow a bit.
See here for what I'm referring to:
https://toledogoldfish.com/collections/live-minnows

On another note. I'm thinking of getting an aerator that is rated for 1/2 acre to put near the areas I want fish to spawn in. That should help that section of the pond, yes?

Last edited by CityDad; 11/26/21 10:34 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I’ve heard of red Rosie’s but never seen them

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The Rosy Reds are just an orange color variant of Fathead Minnows.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It may not seem like much but I'm getting to where I want to be financially to invest into stocking the pond and doing research on places. Unfortunately I cant find a single place to order craws from locally.

Anyone have a vendor they like that ships? Otherwise I'm gonna try that Toledo Goldfish company.

My schedule is going to be-
End of December 3-400 Craws (should spawn in January)

March- Could be earlier spawning, ill watch water temps and move this up if I can.
FHM
BG 500
Shiners 500

Ive got spots in my pond that will be less than a foot deep and dense with grass so ill release them all there, and if I can get it built also do a Habituation of some of them (esp bluegill) with a feeder.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??