Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#539872 09/17/21 04:58 PM
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Looks like I over did it with the Cutrine Plus in my sediment/forage pond. I've been trapping and netting out FHM to move to the main pond for a wile now. I get more with net than I do in the traps but I've been getting a bad scummy algae film the last few weeks making it very hard to do. Last week I sprayed some Cutrine Plus but didn't seem to do anything so yesterday I sprayed about double what I did last week. I didn't think I had enough algae to cause an oxygen crash when it died but I was wrong. lol! I went over today and the Cutrine Plus did a number on the algae but I had about a dozen of the larger FHM dead and floating and I seen another dozen or so large ones kind of piping for air. The smaller ones seemed to be ok for now but not sure. It isn't the end of the world if they all die but would rather they not all die. At the current level the pond is only about 40' x 50'. I don't have a trolling motor or anything but was thinking of taking over a leaf blower and trying to churn/splash the water up some. Do you guys think that will help? Or have other ideas?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
S
S
air compressor with a weight holding the hose down, leaf blower good idea too

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by stayed home
air compressor with a weight holding the hose down, leaf blower good idea too
Thanks, I don't have power on the property yet so can't do a air compressor.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well I went over with a leaf blower. I don't know how much it helped and didn't get to do it nearly as long as I wanted to. I worked my way around the pond and definitely had water churning and spraying up and had waves going across the pond. I plan to go back over in the morning and try again. I'm going to see if I can find something to make an extention with so I can reach farther out into the pond and hopefully keep me from getting so wet. Lol!

Last edited by Bobbss; 09/17/21 08:23 PM.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
IF there are no underwater plants in the pond, the phytoplankton and algae are the things that put O2 into the water. There's a reason for the booklet that is attached to the label, it tells the user how to figure out how much to use.....

It also depends on the amount of fish biomass in the pond.

While not Cutrine Plus, I had a customer use Copper Sulfate to kill algae. He ended up killing some of his Golden Shiners. Too much copper in an area did it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Esshup, your right I should of read more on it and not just what I read here. I don't remember reading about the copper it's self killing the fish, I thought it was just the oxygen crash it could cause that I had to worry about. I really thought I was spraying it light enough since the amount I sprayed before didn't really do anything. At least it is just some FHM in the sediment pond and not my main pond.

I went back over this morning and found a few more dead ones but seen lots of them swimming around. Hopefully not to many more die.
I took the leaf blower back over this morning and was able to run it longer. I also did make an extension and it worked better. I set it up so it would swirl the whole pond. Hopefully that will help.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bobbss, it could be one or the other or both. (Copper or O2 crash).

I had a customer kill all the Triploid Grass Carp and Catfish in his pond by putting way too much Cutrine Plus in it. He had 36"-48" visibility and he wanted enough Cutrine Plus to kill any FA that floated or showed up right by shore for the whole year. I dropped it off and he thought "Why keep using it every 2 weeks, I can kill all of it at once and not have to worry about it the rest of the year." So he used all the Cutrine Plus in one treatment........ I'm guessing it was the copper that killed them, I don't think there was enough of a bloom to cause it once it was killed. He had aeration and also had vascular plants growing in the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks again Esshup. My water was real clear under the brown scummy stuff that was floating, but turned a murky brown after I treated it. Probably what I should of done is took the leaf blower over and blew the scum to one side and treated it so it wouldn't take as much to treat.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Anytime you can reduce the amount of chemicals needed that is a good thing, for a number of reasons.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Just got back from the pond a bit ago and the good news is I haven't seen anymore dead minnows, the bad news is it looks like the algae scum is already starting to grow back. Lol!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Wait for a wind and mix 1 qt in a 2.5 gallon sprayer to spray the floating scum.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks again Esshup!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails