I have an area at our farm that turns to clay just below the topsoil. My idea was to excavate only 3' and compact the clay spoils to make a berm around the pond. I could easily make shaped ponds of depths from 6' to 8'. These small ponds (0.1 to 0.2 acres) would be used as hatchery or forage ponds.

IF my idea works, they would be very inexpensive to construct! (I have a live stream for a constant water source.)

However, Bill Cody (and many others) have pointed out that forage and hatchery ponds must be drained and dried out periodically to break the cycle of parasite accumulation.

The clay seals in normal ponds and in dam core trenches typically do not crack (and fail) because they generally stay wetted even during severe dry periods.

My question:

The clay berms in my ponds would be subject to complete wetting and drying cycles as the ponds went from full to drained and drying. Further, a portion of my berms would be above grade (in the air) and really subject to becoming 100% dehydrated during the drained periods.

Would these ponds crack and lose their sealing capacity in this scenario?

(I assume there is a good reason we don't see many ponds constructed in this manner?)

If these ponds only suffered minor leakage, would they be candidates for a one-time Soil-Floc treatment, or would they require another infusion after EVERY drying cycle?

Any experiences in this matter from the experts would be greatly appreciated. (Idle speculation would probably also be helpful!)

Thanks,
FishinRod