Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc, Mike28
18,440 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,782
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, BackyardTrout, catscratch, Bill Cody, anthropic, Bigtrh24, Sunil), 755 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
P
P
City
I put in a floating dock with a slide system for holding it in place so when water goes up or down it goes with it. Put it in when the pond was around 4-5’ below full

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thats a good idea but sounds like way more effort than I have time for right now.

Im going to ask a lot of questions, but only because I'm clueless

5-20 Acres in Florida. Bass/Tilapia/Bowfin/Gator
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Welp, definitely getting lots of rain now. Hopefully that means a full pond and happier fish soon. In the last week its up about 3-4". Only 4'8" to go until full!

P
P
City I can remember when I still had 4’-8” to go ..... closer to full the longer it takes due to surface area I guess..... it’s anxious times for sure but you will get there

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Yea, its just been a really long dry season. The spot I caught my first bass in this pond was bone dry last week, now its at least muddy

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Caught a healthy looking 2.25 lber today, first one from th epond I have put on a scale. Because I'm a slacker.

Also caught a teeny one that I should have culled but didnt have knife on me.

In a few weeks when the new gilts move out to the farm the little ones get tossed into the pen for them to much on.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Elsa put 4.5" of rain into the area around my lake. How much do you think Itll increase? I'm hoping about 6" Watershed is huge but exact size of it is unknown

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
WE GOT LOTS OF WATER!

https://imgur.com/gallery/yA85N36

The bass were definitely out and about in the new shallows but I didnt have time today to get any on a hook.

Mildly bummed because I was about 2 weeks away from having time to build a few small fishing piers and putting in while the water was low. I can probably still get them in, itll just be wet work.

P
P
Originally Posted by CityDad
Elsa put 4.5" of rain into the area around my lake. How much do you think Itll increase? I'm hoping about 6" Watershed is huge but exact size of it is unknown

That would depend on how fast it came down.... the faster the more runoff, least that’s how it works here in sandy country

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Bought a lotto ticket today. Hopefully I win at least a little so I can do all the projects I want around my lake and farm.

Good news- Found a Bluegill Honey Hole on my way to the farm, now all I need is time to stop there.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Can't get the bass to bite since the water went up. I had just figured out the bite before Elsa moved in.

The green alegae has mellowed out to a normal ish brown so woohoo.

Hopefully I'll learn 2 fish and get em on something monday when I'm back there. Tomorrow I'm doing some local lakes.

Water is high enough to connect to the neighbors pond like we want which means I have a current again, thats probably why the bite has changed. But I can definitely see em swimming around and swirling. Seeing almost no minnows or yoy around the banks though.

End of the month I have 4 days to myself, gonna try to get a bunch of people down to thin out some small bass, and do some bluegill bucket stocking

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Eh yall. Last few times I been out I couldnt get a bite, then the other day they bit the paddle tail off a few paddle tail worms.

Today I went back, tried a buzzbait nothin, tried a shaky head rig and got it caught.

Switched back to paddle tail and caught a healthy looking 1+lber.

I'm going to start going there early mornings before it gets so damn hot, hopefully that produces more fish on my line, and can cull them into my mama piggies stomachs.

ive got a bunch of people meeting me there this saturday while my fam is out of town, that should get a good cull smile

B
B
I always thought it was supposed to be easier to catch them when over populated?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
P
P
[quote=Bobbss]I always thought it was supposed to be easier to catch them when over populated?

Good point maybe thin due to underfed

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Bobbss
I always thought it was supposed to be easier to catch them when over populated?

It is, but if the fish are caught and released because of not wanting to cull your "babies" then the fish could get hook shy and conditioned not to eat anything that is attached to a string.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Bobbsss you are not factoring in how extremely awful I am at angling. Honestly Ive fished the same lures inthe same small pond with a buddy of mine and he landed 4 when I got 0 bites.

Essshup- Its a big pond with lots of fish, I honestly dont think they could be hook shy with just me fishing it for an hour or 2 a week.
But ive been wrong before like a lot.

Next weekend Im having a few pounds of wild caught shiners brought. I think I have a spot way in the back that just got filled in by a storm I can put them that will give them a chance to lay a few spawns before more rains come to connect it back to the main pond and they get eaten in 4 seconds.
The buddies helping me cull this weekend are also going to help me bucket stock bluegill. My one bud just did 100 BG in a day and were gonna hit that spot as soon as I can figure out to transport them

Im also gonna toss some in on a hook because... of course.

B
B
CityDad, what I was getting at was are you sure it is over populated and not just no forage. I don't remember you ever talking about catching many. How many fish would you say has been caught out of it since you got it? Do you think it was fished hard before you got it?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It was *not* fished hard before I got it. Area was used by a cattle farmer. The other two owners who border are an old couple who occasionally toss nightcrawlers into their section of the lake with the grandkids, and a dude who doesn't fish.

The creek entering gets fished for bluegill and the waterway leading into that also gets fished hard. If my bass start swimming upstream that could be a problem.

Earlier in the year, before the drought got really bad, I could reliably catch a bass every 30 minutes with a few missed hooksets scattered throughout.

Through the spring spawn I didnt catch as many as I probably should have but was also really busy with the pigs. I dont get more than 2 hours a week to fish across 3ish days, and sometimes its when the sun is high and its hot as balls out. I also spend an inordinate amount of time launching lures into trees, or hooksetting logs, cutting down on my effective fishing time more.

The other day I saw a school of bass and they wouldnt touch my lure. Probably 6ish between 1 and 3 lbs swam around the big island forming my 'canal' a few times just to spite me I think.

I'm confidant there are too many predators, and need to thin out lots of them so my forage stocking has any chance at taking off.
Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can get my chainsaw and polesaw running so I can clear more bank spots, and maybe topple a small maple and palm tree over into the water.

I've got a crawfish trap in a neighborhood pond right now, hope it produces by the morning.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I have caught some bass lately polkpasturedpork on instagram

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My LMB culling party had to be canceled due to a covid exposure in my family, luckily everything has come back negative.

I should still be getting shiners in this week but I haven't heard from the hatcery to confirm.
The rain has been nutso crazy this week so I haven't been able to go cull on my own, but luckily rising temperatures means more structure/grasses for them to hide in. Hopefully a few will get off a spawn and it wont be a complete waste of money smile.

Ill be there heck or high water tomorrow to check on the pigs anyway, will take photos of new water levels and hopefully a nice catch.

Managed to sink my minnow trap into the pond, i need ot invest in some waders so I can go get it....

P
P
Hope everything goes well.... go for a little swim to get minnow trap.... heck as long as no soap you should be good
What kind of pigs ya raising, wild or domestic?

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 08/04/21 05:00 PM.
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Pat I try not to swim in my pond bc gators are a thing lol. With waders I feel less exposed.

Unfortunately some of both haha.
Have some friends hunting the wild ones off my property so they stop harassing my domestic ones.
Im finishing a set of GOS/Hampshire feeder crosses and switching to Berk/Meishan crosses and breeding

Today I either caught 2 turtles or the same turtle twice. Second time I had to let it run off with my biospawn swimbait because he was gonna snap my fingers off if I tried to take it out. Hope hes ok. First turtle was on a worm.

I had 2 cull sized bass (~1lb) but failed to get them onto the bank, broke off within a foot of it. Cause I suck.
I saw a few larger ones but they wouldnt bite, then I saw a HUGE fin splash from what I THINK was a5+lb bass, but I couldnt get a good look and it wouldnt bite when I cast to that area.

Huge storms this week got the pond up a LOT higher. I'm excited to get the shiners this weekend but I haven't heard from hatchery. I think there's *plenty* of grass for them to hide in, although I expect a bit of a feeding frenzy I think theyll be able to spawn a bit.

Last edited by CityDad; 08/05/21 10:36 AM.

P
P
That is a good reason City

R
R
Tie a rope on the trap.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
I have retrieved mine out of the pond (twice) with a rope and a strong magnet. Darn thing is roundish and once the clip with rope attached are removed to open it...if I'm not careful, there it goes!

Fish on!,
Noel
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?