Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (Snipe, RAH, Freg, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon), 750 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I repaired the feeding ring I made from PVC yesterday. I have only been feeding for a few days. I am dishearted. All I see are big bullhead catfish. And most of them are fat with a belly full of eggs! Maybe my channel cats are slow to come eat the feed. I stocked channel cats, but not bullhead. I can eat a big bullhead too. I am just disappointed they seen to be taking over. That and tiny bass!
[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

I work so I can buy things, give things & do things...
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Catch them using either pellets or dough bait.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
1 member likes this: Johnny MAX
A
Online Content
A
Bullhead numbers can be greatly reduced by learning to use a cast net.

The YoY swim around the banks in tight schools. When you see the big black ball, toss a net on it.
You can get rid of the adults the same way. When they come to pellets, toss a net on em. They
wise up to that trick pretty fast, so it's only going to work a few times a year.

J
Online Content
J
Originally Posted by Johnny MAX
I repaired the feeding ring I made from PVC yesterday. I have only been feeding for a few days. I am dishearted. All I see are big bullhead catfish. And most of them are fat with a belly full of eggs! Maybe my channel cats are slow to come eat the feed. I stocked channel cats, but not bullhead. I can eat a big bullhead too. I am just disappointed they seen to be taking over. That and tiny bass!
[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

JohnyMax, you mentioned the BH are big ... so that means that you are not overrun with them. Catch and eat them and ensure that the LMB are sufficient to keep up with them and they should not become a big problem. If you harvest them and maintain a strong predator population, you may later miss them if they are extirpated ... but that remains to be determined.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

P
P
How big do bullheads get? I have a mess of them about 12” long and usually toss them out for the coons to eat. Never ate any.... my channel and blue cats have never come to feeder just BG

Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
How big do bullheads get? I have a mess of them about 12” long and usually toss them out for the coons to eat. Never ate any.... my channel and blue cats have never come to feeder just BG

It depends greatly on which species of bullhead. Here in NC, we have a lot of yellow bullheads. A 1-pounder is a good one, a 2-pounder is a great one, but most are smaller than that. I agree with jpsdad, since he has large bullheads, that's a good sign that he's not overrun with them.

Also, they taste pretty close to a channel cat in my opinion, if you avoid the dark meat.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson

I have caught bullheads and thought they were my channel cats before. They were a little broader than the channel cats. Then I notices the lack of spots as I skinned them.
I have not fed them in two years and it used to boil with channel cats.
Yesterday I did notice a couple of big bright flashes a foot or so below the surface..
Not sure if it was catfish or a bass.
I will be out there again today and see, maybe they will come to the top.

Last edited by Johnny MAX; 06/29/21 04:20 PM.

P
P
I know bullheads bite harder than a channel three times it’s size( on your finger)

P
P
Their tail is square and channels are V shaped

OP Offline
I looked on eBay to see what Bullhead Catfish are selling for. They sell for $25 plus shipping.
I told the wife, we should catch them and kill two birds with one stone.
Make a few extra bucks and lower bullhead population, LOL

J
Online Content
J
I looked on eBay to see what Bullhead Catfish are selling for. They sell for $25 plus shipping.

The time to collect them is "right about now". You should start seeing little schools of the young here shortly.

The largest BH I ever caught was a Yellow BH around 14" but BH can get considerably larger than that. Even so, it isn't common. Water that produces 12" BH is good water where population balance is good. For me the best BH for eating are in the 8" to 10" lengths. My grandfather had a pond with blacks but the upper limit of his was 10". He kept any BH 6" or longer and they were very good to eat rolled in cornmeal and fried in bacon fat with farm fresh eggs for breakfast. Great memories.

This is how he cleaned them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjEUSkdks4

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

OP Offline
Originally Posted by jpsdad

The time to collect them is "right about now". You should start seeing little schools of the young here shortly.

The largest BH I ever caught was a Yellow BH around 14" but BH can get considerably larger than that. Even so, it isn't common. Water that produces 12" BH is good water where population balance is good. For me the best BH for eating are in the 8" to 10" lengths. My grandfather had a pond with blacks but the upper limit of his was 10". He kept any BH 6" or longer and they were very good to eat rolled in cornmeal and fried in bacon fat with farm fresh eggs for breakfast. Great memories.

This is how he cleaned them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjEUSkdks4

WOW! I have gotta try cleaning them like the video showed.
Thanks
I learned something today!
Shuckin' Catfish!

Last edited by Johnny MAX; 06/30/21 07:50 AM.

I looked on eBay to see what Bullhead Catfish are selling for. They sell for $25 plus shipping...

That's got to be what they are TRYING to sell them for. Maybe I'm missing something, $25 for one or a bunch, large enough for eating or for stocking?

There are good to eat, but at $25 each...I'll eat steak...LOL.

Fish on!,
Noel
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
I looked on eBay to see what Bullhead Catfish are selling for. They sell for $25 plus shipping...
That's got to be what they are TRYING to sell them for. Maybe I'm missing something, $25 for one or a bunch, large enough for eating or for stocking?
There are good to eat, but at $25 each...I'll eat steak...LOL.

Sold alive for aquariums. Monster fish keepers love them.
www.ebay.com/bullhead-catfish

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails