Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#536011 06/03/21 11:42 AM
H
OP Offline
H
I'm a new member and have been reading this sight non stop for 6 months. Am stocking our newest pond today with YP, CC, HB, FHM and then Walleye and Redear this fall. Pretty excited..

P
P
Welcome
Are you going to feed! I think normally fhm go in first to establish a food chain for predators such as cc and I think YP as well. If fhm are put in at same time they probably won’t get off much spawning

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Take pictures!!!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Congrats - question, HB?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Originally Posted by teehjaeh57
Congrats - question, HB?

I was thinking myself. Hybrid Bluegill maybe?

Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Welcome
Are you going to feed! I think normally fhm go in first to establish a food chain for predators such as cc and I think YP as well. If fhm are put in at same time they probably won’t get off much spawning

I agree with that, should definitely give the FHM some time to populate your pond before stocking anything else.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
H
OP Offline
H
Sorry, yes Hybrid Bluegill. Pond is full of millions of tadpoles of all sizes so should be a decent food base to start along with the minnows spawning all summer in all the structure etc we have- so was not planning on feeding at this point. Will try to monitor the situation, thanks for the replies.

C
C
Hawkeye,
Others may disagree with me but I'm not the only one on the forum who has found that the tadpoles will not be a food source for your fish. I guess see what your observations are. I would work on other forage base food options and I agree with you, the ones where you pay a little to get the food chain started and the adults (crayfish, minnows, scuds, whatever) make thousands of their own future generations is the most economical plan. It pays a little up front to create the conditios, the refuge places, the structures that support the spawning and survival of those little forage critters.

CC

P
P
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
Hawkeye,
Others may disagree with me but I'm not the only one on the forum who has found that the tadpoles will not be a food source for your fish. I guess see what your observations are. I would work on other forage base food options and I agree with you, the ones where you pay a little to get the food chain started and the adults (crayfish, minnows, scuds, whatever) make thousands of their own future generations is the most economical plan. It pays a little up front to create the conditios, the refuge places, the structures that support the spawning and survival of those little forage critters.

CC

Canyon I have found that fish don’t seem to bother tadpoles but will scarf up a frog..... my observation only...

I've not found tadpoles to be of any significant food source (as tadpoles). My pond gets overrun by them, but once they turn to frogs...99.99% of them disappear. The frogs may be getting eaten at that point and/or they move on. IDK. I have caught LMB while trolling with bullfrog tadpoles, so I know they will eat them, but my buddy who was fishing with minnows and worms out fished me 10 to 1. I have sooooo many, I remove all the tadpoles that I can, right or wrong.

Fish on!,
Noel
H
H
My experience with both bullfrog and toad tadpoles is that none of the fish I stocked touched them until I introduced BCP last fall. Both species of tadpole were abundant until this spring. Now I rarely see toad tadpoles in the pond with BCP but see them in every other puddle that contains water. The bullfrog tadpoles are as abundant as ever.

G
G
There is a good bit of difference in tadpoles no? I understand the little black ones are toad tadpoles which fish wont eat at all, but a bullfrog tadpole I would have guessed they would eat, maybe they have some kind of deterrent too till they get a little further along, natures way of letting them get a start, with out that they would have no defense mechanism to keep them from pretty much 100% eliminated in a short time in any average pond.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
H
OP Offline
H
Interesting on the tadpoles not being fodder! I'll follow up on what I see in the next week or so. Thanks.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I would say that the tadpoles won't be year 'round fodder for the fish, but at least in my pond the fish (bass and bluegills) absolutely hammer the toad tadpoles. Not many seem to survive. Some years I will have a 2' wide belt of black around the pond edge, but after a bit the fish find them and the belt narrows down to just a few pockets that find shallow water to escape predation in.

I have a customer that has 2 ponds within 40 yds of each other. One is a forage pond, only FHM, papershells and some PSK in there, and it is loaded with bullfrog tadpoles. The pond which has SMB in it has 0 tadpoles that I can see.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
H
On a positive note the thousands of bullfrog tadpoles in my pond are controlling the algae. I’m seeing almost no algae even around the TH Feeder and more bullfrog tadpoles than I have seen in the past two years. Tilapia aren’t legal in VA so I’m thinking of holding off on SMB because of esshups comment and substituting with WE this fall. esshup, have you seen any ponds with BCP and WE that have bullfrog tadpoles? I have other fish as well but the BCP are still too small to have any impact on them which is why I asked the question. Thanks!

Last edited by Heppy; 06/05/21 11:43 PM. Reason: Wording
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Heppy
On a positive note the thousands of bullfrog tadpoles in my pond are controlling the algae. I’m seeing almost no algae even around the TH Feeder and more bullfrog tadpoles than I have seen in the past two years. Tilapia aren’t legal in VA so I’m thinking of holding off on SMB because of esshups comment and substituting with WE this fall. esshup, have you seen any ponds with BCP and WE that have bullfrog tadpoles? I have other fish as well but the BCP are still too small to have any impact on them which is why I asked the question. Thanks!

Nope, I know of no ponds with BCP. One has Hybrid Crappie, but no WE. No great population of frogs in that one either.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
OP Offline
H
follow up, 10 days after stocking fish. Tadpoles are gone and there are now millions of tiny little toads around the bank of the pond. Still some bigger tadpoles in the water which I assume are bullfrog tadpoles.
Seeing a few dead fatheads around the edges of the pond and others stuggling and dying, hopefully this is common and not very many compared to how many went into the pond. Saw several Hybrid bluegill and YP in the shallows eating bugs last night as well. Threw in some grasshoppers for entertaiment value! I am really enjoying this new pond.

Glad to hear an update! It's not uncommon to have some floaters after stocking, especially minnows. Enjoy the new life in the waters! I do enjoy tossing in some grasshoppers when they are abundant. I even dreamt up a net system for the mower to try and collect the buggars when they get real thick, but never put it together.

Fish on!,
Noel
2 members like this: jpsdad, hawkeye05
J
J
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
Glad to hear an update! It's not uncommon to have some floaters after stocking, especially minnows. Enjoy the new life in the waters! I do enjoy tossing in some grasshoppers when they are abundant. I even dreamt up a net system for the mower to try and collect the buggars when they get real thick, but never put it together.

QA, My grandpa was a wheat farmer in northern OK. One of his fields had a drainage running through where he let the switchgrass and sunflower grow tall. I have fond memories of when he would take minnow seine and attach to the front of his 68 Ford PU so it stretched across his grill. He would drive through the tall grass and differential grasshoppers would get caught in the net. By the time we reached the pond we were ready to fish smile

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

2 members like this: anthropic, Quarter Acre
Originally Posted by jpsdad
...take minnow seine and attach to the front of his 68 Ford PU so it stretched across his grill. He would drive through the tall grass and differential grasshoppers would get caught in the net. By the time we reached the pond we were ready to fish smile

Now That's what I'm talking about!

Fish on!,
Noel
H
OP Offline
H
My HBG are spawning already? Is this possible? They were stocked on 6/3/21 and were 2"-4" and last night I saw that the bigger ones have nests already and are protecting them from marauding little perch. I didn't realize this would take place for fish this young/small, but I'm pleased. I'm not sure if anything will actually hatch but cool to watch anyway.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
It is possible.

When waters are 'new,' fish instinctually have a need to fill it with other fish.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
Online Content
A
I've seen stories of 3 - 4 inch BG spawning when there are no larger BG to take prime bedding territory.

Last edited by anthropic; 07/01/21 01:17 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hawkeye, I wouldn’t expect hybrid bluegills to ever spawn. We’re they all hybrids?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
Hawkeye, I wouldn’t expect hybrid bluegills to ever spawn. We’re they all hybrids?

Dave, they will spawn, just because they are hybrid doesn't mean that they are sterile.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

H
OP Offline
H
Dave, yes they are all supposed to be hybrids, we didn't put in any bluegills. At least that is what was ordered and delivered according to the fisheries. Was out there again last night and they are really going at it in two different areas, one spot on pea gravel and the other spot on gravel in the shallows for both- there are probably 12 nests total with fish in every one of them--Thanks

Last edited by hawkeye05; 07/01/21 10:40 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails