Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#535048 05/11/21 10:18 AM
K
Kris B Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Good morning! My pond renovation project was "finished" about a year ago.

From early on, I've had not-unusual FA issues all around the edges, which I've been treating with dye and raking as I have time (as Tilapia are not permitted in Louisiana). I've had a massive outbreak of BPW (Southern Naiad) to depths of 4-5ft due to frequently good water clarity.

And especially as of this spring I've got all kinds of new life sprouting around the pond. I think I've correctly identified some of these newcomers, using the Acquatic Vegetation Identification booklet sold on pondboss.com and the TAMU web-based plant ID page.

I want to make sure I know what is growing, and what I need to get ahead of before it becomes a problem (i.e. non-native / invasive species).

Please take a look if you're so inclined, and let me know if you have any ideas on the unknown plants, and if I've correctly identified the ones labeled by the file name.

Thanks!

Attached Images
Alligatorweed or Hygro.png Cattail.png Common Reed 1.png Common Reed 2.png Field Horsetail.png Soft Rush or Bulrush or Common Rush.png Water Willow.png Yellow Nutsedge.png

Kris

K
Kris B Offline OP
OP Offline
K
A few more...

Attached Images
Unknown 1.png Unknown 2.png Unknown 3.png Water Pennywort or Lotus 1.png Water Pennywort or Lotus 2.png Water Pennywort or Lotus 3.png

Kris

Lunker
Lunker
That's quite a variety. You ought to have a sauropod or two roaming around eating all of those.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
P
P
Let’s hope not..... well it would get plenty interesting TG....

I'd say it's Pennywort, not lotus. In my experience, lotus comes up with much larger leaves right out of the water - a few to several inches across.

Your unknown #3 reminds me of some type of cone flower, but it's hard to tell without flowers on it.

Fish on!,
Noel
K
Kris B Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
That's quite a variety. You ought to have a sauropod or two roaming around eating all of those.

I killed those off a long while back. grin

Kris

P
P
Originally Posted by Kris B
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

I killed those off a long while back. grin

Dang you are OLD! Lol

Lunker
Lunker
Back in my day, velociraptors didn't have feathers yet.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
K
Kris B Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Quarter Acre
I'd say it's Pennywort, not lotus. In my experience, lotus comes up with much larger leaves right out of the water - a few to several inches across.

Your unknown #3 reminds me of some type of cone flower, but it's hard to tell without flowers on it.

Thanks! I guess you're probably right there. I just looked at some more photos and found ones with the round shape I'm seeing (the photos in the weed ID guide had more a clover-like or cloud-like shape).

Kris

K
Kris B Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Anything of concern aside from the Cattails (which I'll be treating with the glove of death in the next couple of days)?

Kris

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nah, although you might want to start treating the filamentous algae.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
When my pond first started growing things, like you, I was very interested in the types of plants they were. I pulled every cattail that popped up. I wish I had not pulled them because, I believe, they can be a benefit under certain circumstances. I may eat my words in a few years, but I have let them be this year with hopes that they consume the areas where my pond has very steep banks to help stabilize the shore. The water drops off fast in those areas and the cattails cannot grow very far from the bank. I will still pull them from the more shallow areas to keep them from hindering the bank fishing.

Any other cat tail sympathizers on the forums?

I am more of an advocate of raking the FA out compared to chemical treatments. I'm not well versed in algaecides, nor the type that thinks everything has to be all natural, but I hang my hat on removing the FA mats so that the nutrients that it represents is taken from the BOW so that it does not promote further FA growth. It is a bit more work than spraying chemical controls, but not bad once you get the right FA rake. RStringer started a recent thread that has some good conversation on FA control with a couple rake examples if your interested...

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=535131&page=1

Fish on!,
Noel
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You have to remove the FA from the pond area, so when it decomposes it doesn't wash back into the pond or the nutrients will wash back into the pond. I agree with you, that is a good plan if you have the time and energy to do it.

Not a cattail sympathizer. I would prefer to see rushes and sedges instead. Cattails can grow out to some amazing water depths.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
Kris B Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks! I've been using a homemade lake rake (landscaping rake with a pool noodle wire-tied to it) with great success. I rake it to the shore, and my 3yo and 5yo put it into a bucket with about 50 holes drilled in it.

On the marginal side of this, what do you all think about that yellow nutsedge (assuming I've correctly ID'd it)? I saw someone on here suggest it was a problem species.

On the submerged plants side of things, should I be worried about BPW growing out to 4-5ft depths?

Last edited by Kris B; 05/21/21 08:51 AM.

Kris

QA, yes on cattail sympathizer here. I rarely need to effect any control on them around our 1/4 acre pond. Cattails, unmanaged, will only cover about 25% of our shoreline.

We also have some hard stem bulrush in places. I'll occasionally cut out a spot in the vegetation so I can fish without getting my line tangled. We have a bit of shallow water but the cattails don't seem to spread out into the 2 to 4 feet of water. The water level drops several feet during the winter and the ground freezes most years. I don't know if this is inhibiting cattail spread.

I totally get how cattails could become a serious problem is many BOWs. Fortunately, it doesn't happen here.

K
Kris B Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have a feeling that cattails behave differently in CO and MO (zone 6) than they do in S. LA (zone 9).

Kris

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I was at a customers pond the other day. The pond is down about 4 vertical feet and the cattails that were growing in the water are now growing this year on land that is not covered with water. They will get nuked shortly......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??