Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,055
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (Freg, Donatello, Layne, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 633 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#533959 04/16/21 10:10 AM
J
jpws Offline OP
OP Offline
J
My leak has gotten worse over the past few months. The pond level is at an all time low ( about 3') and seems to drop about .5" per day. It didn't drop this fasts for the past 2 years....not sure if the super cold spell we had in FEB with the extended freeze caused the leaky areas to expand or what, but I'm going to try a sealer.

I'm aware of SOILFLOC and DAMIT.
https://shop.naturalwaterscapes.com/soilfloc-pond-sealant/

https://shalex.com.au/damit-dam-sealer/#:~:text=DamIt%E2%84%A2%20Dam%20Sealer%20is,seal%20leaking%20dams%20and%20ponds.&text=The%20water%20pressure%20(hydrostatic%20pressure,of%20the%20pond%20or%20dam.

Has anyone used either with any success?

All thoughts and comments would be appreciated. My HBG are all about 7-8" now and I'd hate for the water level to drop too low. I have a backup plan on where i could "store" them ( in a new neighborhood retention pond) if it came down to seining the pond, but i'd rather not go that route.

thanks

.20 acre pond-that leaks/4-5' deep. Stocked 6/22/19 with 300 BG(supposed to be HBG, removed 100+/- so far), 100 RES, 3carp. On 8/20 added 300 HBG, + 21 5"HSB. 8/21 added 5 8" SMB, one 10" LMB , one 14" CC
A
A
SoilFloc reduced the seepage through the dam on my pond.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hi JPWS

Sorry to hear about your pond leaking issues. I've used the polymers on the market, have been helping guys on the forum with leaking ponds the last several years, and am happy to help walk through your solutions. Feel free to reach out - my time is always free to the Pond Boss family!

TJ

tj@hudlandmgmt.com

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Mal Offline
Since we are talking leaking ponds, I'll chime in for some advice. I have a 1.3 acre pond, spring fed with a decent flow. It's at least 80 years old so relatively shallow; 18 inches to 5 and a half feet. I rebuilt it about 4 years ago by replacing some of the dam. It originally had a drain that stood proud in about 12 feet of water. That drain is nowhere to be seen and has been like that for many years. The old dam has a leak near where I think the old drain outflow would have been. There is one other suspect area where the water may be getting in to the bank that I fixed rather poorly when rebuilding.

I'm thinking some dye might tell me if the second mentioned leak is the culprit and one of the polymers or bentonite might fix it. The old outflow won't be so easy to prove, find or fix.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

The pond always flows out of my new outflow but if I try to raise the level even 3 inches, the leaks dominate and the outflow stops. I'd like to raise the level by a foot or more....

1.3 A, 80 yr old, renovation summer 2017, SW VA, 2000' elevation, Shallow, Spring Fed, Little Watershed, Stock Fall '17 with LMB, BG, RESF, FHM. Indigenous: Triploid Grass Carp, Israeli Carp, GSH
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Mal,

You have two potential water outlets for your pond (not counting the new outflow you installed).

The first is a leak through or around the old outflow that has suspiciously disappeared (or through some other spot in the dam). The second is the spring itself.

You mentioned using dye, I assume you have some sort of running or flowing water below your pond?

The easiest thing to try might be lowering your outlet, and lowering the level of your pond. Observe the outflow area when presumably most of the water is going through your outflow. Then raise your outflow back up above normal pool level. Observe the outflow area then and see if you can discern a difference. If so, then the dye could confirm your leak and maybe help you pinpoint where to dig for repairs.

However, you could be in the second situation, and your pond is losing water to the spring itself. You said that if you raise your new outlet even 3" the water level never gets that high. Does the water level stay at almost exactly the same level when you raise the outlet? If so, then it may be that the level of the spring sets the water level in your pond. Raising the dam and the new outlet will not work in that situation.

That is just one geologist's internet opinion - so it is not worth much without observing your actual situation.

My advice would be to keep experimenting with your pond. More data will certainly help in trying to figure out exactly what is going on.

Good luck!

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted by Mal
Since we are talking leaking ponds, I'll chime in for some advice. I have a 1.3 acre pond, spring fed with a decent flow. It's at least 80 years old so relatively shallow; 18 inches to 5 and a half feet. I rebuilt it about 4 years ago by replacing some of the dam. It originally had a drain that stood proud in about 12 feet of water. That drain is nowhere to be seen and has been like that for many years. The old dam has a leak near where I think the old drain outflow would have been. There is one other suspect area where the water may be getting in to the bank that I fixed rather poorly when rebuilding.

I'm thinking some dye might tell me if the second mentioned leak is the culprit and one of the polymers or bentonite might fix it. The old outflow won't be so easy to prove, find or fix.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

The pond always flows out of my new outflow but if I try to raise the level even 3 inches, the leaks dominate and the outflow stops. I'd like to raise the level by a foot or more....

Hi Mal:

Happy to walk through some thoughts on identifying the leak area, you're on the right track, but am happy to chat sometime. Feel free to contact me anytime, here to help.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

That sounds like a problem with a leaky shower. I had the same situation, and all that helped me then was the shower caulk. Yes, the principle is the same, so it worked for both the shower and the dam. The water must be held in one position. I noticed that when my pond started losing moisture, it significantly affected my profits last February. I kept the caulk in my pantry for a long time until I figured out that it could also work. I think if you have something like this at home, you should try it, so you don't have to spend money again.

Last edited by mortensyn; 09/03/21 04:25 AM.
R
R
I'm by far an expert but...... Pretty sure you can see where a shower is leaking from. Alot harder to see where a pond is leaking from. Might be ease to tell on the bk side of the damn where it coming out but not where from. Not sure how you profited from your pond either. But im all ears on that cuz i like profit. I looked around the chauking section at home depo and lowes. Never found any pond chauk. Didnt find anything in the pantry that i thought would help with a leak either. There is products that can be used but they are not the same situations at all besides they leak.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
P
P
Originally Posted by RStringer
I'm by far an expert but...... Pretty sure you can see where a shower is leaking from. Alot harder to see where a pond is leaking from. Might be ease to tell on the bk side of the damn where it coming out but not where from. Not sure how you profited from your pond either. But im all ears on that cuz i like profit. I looked around the chauking section at home depo and lowes. Never found any pond chauk. Didnt find anything in the pantry that i thought would help with a leak either. There is products that can be used but they are not the same situations at all besides they leak.

Profit from a pond..... hmm usually the opposite for me..... curious how that would work

T
T
Caulking your pond is easy. First drain 2-3 million gallons into a storage container, wipe the area of the leak dry, clean with acetone, for the next step you will need a large caulking gun, apply 22 tons of caulk, let dry and
refill.

Seriously tho, I have had success with Soil-Floc.

B
B
Originally Posted by Tony K
Caulking your pond is easy. First drain 2-3 million gallons into a storage container, wipe the area of the leak dry, clean with acetone, for the next step you will need a large caulking gun, apply 22 tons of caulk, let dry and
refill.

Seriously tho, I have had success with Soil-Floc.
That is too funny!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Donatello - 03/28/24 07:20 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jludwig - 03/28/24 07:12 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??