Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, MnAngler, 4CornersPuddle), 625 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Dang they have free shipping? I didnt know.

Guys, i got some GREAT advice on pond management from facebook right now.

If you want big large mouth bass. Make sure you take out ALL of the bluegill you can. You dont want too many. Because the...bluegill pray on the big bass.... Or something.
Maybe Lusky should write an article on that for the next issue?

Im going to ask a lot of questions, but only because I'm clueless

5-20 Acres in Florida. Bass/Tilapia/Bowfin/Gator
A
A
Of course I'll still respect you in the morning.

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you.

Addicted? Hey, I can stop any time I want!

To grow big bass, get rid of your bluegill.

laugh

Last edited by anthropic; 04/15/21 04:34 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

1 member likes this: gehajake
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the tip about OPTIMAL. Set myself up for a monthly delivery

no time for fishing today frown Too much fun with pigs, getting chased by a gator, and my son really wanted to walk all around the property whichw as adorable.

Ive identified a lot of non native plants I need to replace with milkweed and other pollinators. Its gonne be a task. I think my entire pond slined with yellow flag iris. Its gonna be hard as HECK to clear it all out. But i've got milkweed germinating at the house to bring over there.

Tons of itty bitty baby fish hugging the coastline. Haven't added a lot of new structure for them but I should ge ton that while the water is so low eh? Yea....

I did notice a few spots that need more grass to hold up the hill, and have identified some natural 'drainage' valleys that I am going to eyeball and maybe try to reinforce somehow. Ill post pictures and get advice on how to help them funnel water without getting bigger...

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I got a small tree in a spot the YOY bass are schooling in and they are definitely hanging out there and starting to grow.

Culled 1 9" bass today, couldnt get other bites (its hot as heck, with no clouds, think thats why).

As for structure.... I was thinking that milk crates weighed down would be good. Also easy and cheap.get clumps of 3-4 along some sections of shoreline that I dont need to cast into. Maybe zip tie some sticks into it so I can see where they are/provide more structure.

Soon as we go up about a foot of water I'm adding more BG. Shiners will be added, with more BG and Craws, in the fall (remember its florida so fall/winter are.... not the same here)

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
https://imgur.com/gallery/NGMWgrB/comment/2073596589

^^ Here is a visual on my pond. That lure should be 2' below water not almost 3' above it.

WHERE ARE MY APRIL SHOWERS?

To top if off my forage pasture isn't growing as nicely as I want either. Ugh. Might get some rain this weekend, cross your fingers for me.

In other news I got my wifi hotspot that is built into my truck working. Worked from the pond this morning. Tried to catch fish, got 1 pretty large bite. It chased my lure right up next to the canoe, bit, and spit it out. Really wanted to land it as it would have been the biggest I've pulled from the pond so far but alas.... Think it was pretty close to 3 pounds, at least from the length of it.

Any tips for fishing in water that is 80*?

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
"Any tips for fishing in water that is 80*?"

Dusk and dawn, baby!

You might also try getting out to the pond a few hours before a weather front goes through your area of Florida. The fish know the weather change is coming and sometimes there is a nice feeding period prior to the weather hitting. (Or maybe the forage species get active and the predator species just respond? Maybe one of our fish experts can explain it.)

Either way, if you keep good records, you might be able to determine when there is a good weather change opportunity to fish your pond and optimize your likelihood of getting some good action.

Also, the response in May will probably be different than in August. Your records should allow you to determine your "definitely go fishing" times, as well as your "don't waste your time fishing" times.

Good luck CD!

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
oOoOOOO Ive got a good lead on a pond with crazy BG action. 25 daily limit.

I'm going to head there twice a month and try to fill up to bring back to my lake. If I can get 1-200 adult BG by July I think it would help a ton.

How long can bluegill last in a large cooler with an air bubbler you think? 4 hours? 2? 12?

A
A
How long they last largely depends on the water temp. As temp goes up, tank time goes down.
Should be ok for a couple hours if the water is less than 80°. Only way to know for sure is to try it.
If they croak you can have them for lunch.

25 larger (5-7") BG sounds like a lot to me in a standard "large" cooler. I would use as many coolers as you can haul and keep them out of that Florida sunshine. I am not convinced that a bubbler will do more than spreading the fish out among more water/coolers.

Fish on!,
Noel
A
A
We throw more than that into the bait well on the boat when we're heading out to set catfish lines on the MO.
That's maybe 15 gallons of water when full, and half of it will slosh out the overflow pipe while traveling.
They stay plenty frisky with the two-stone Power Bubbles running.

If I was transporting that many for relocation I'd want more water. 150qt cooler would do.
For sure keep it out of the Florida sun.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
@augie What are the chances they'd live overnight if I put them in a big cooler with a good air bubbler?

A
A
Depends. What size cooler do you consider to be "big"? What's the water temp? What's the air temp? What size are the fish?

If the water or air temp is >80° F I'd rather wait until things cool down in the fall. If I absolutely had to haul them in hot weather I'd use
my 275 gallon transport tank and aerate with industrial oxygen.

Getting bait to the river alive is one thing. Getting fish to your pond without overly stressing them is something else entirely.
You might get them there alive only to have them croak after you turn them loose in your pond.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Its funny that you think my water or air goes under 80* in the fall

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
A good rule of thumb to follow when transporting fish (and using pure O2 for aeration) is 1/2# of fish per gallon of water. There's a whole lot of things to do when transporting fish and acclimating them to the new pond. Salt dip to minimize moving disease or invasive species, etc., etc. Fish transport best at 55-65 degree water temp, but then getting them acclimated to the new water temp takes a LOT of time.

Search SRAC for transportation tips.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey guys, updates been far apart since there hasn't been a ton of good news, and my pigs + WILD PIGS have been keeping me busy.

It has *FINALLY* started to get a little rain around here, it hasn't helped out much yet as we are somewhere between 6 and 8' lower than full right now.
Did a quick canoe around the pond and couldnt find YOY anywhere.
Did a few minutes of fishing and had one bite from a bass I'm guessing was 12-14" but he wouldnt commit.

LOTS of *something* jumping in the middle of my pond where it's still 6' deep or so. I'm assuming it's like PLECOs eating surface bugs? Video here on my FB
https://fb.watch/5-lbOeFT4G/

Types of Fish I have confirmed were in my pond at least until May:
LMB, BG, Gambusia, Gar, Bowfin, Blue Tilapia, Pleco

Can't even find the Tilapia right now. Temps in mid 80s. Put a pause on my feeding since I'm not seeing activity.

I've identified 3 trees I went to tip over into the water based on the structure I'm seeing right now, and I think that the "finger" of land that you can see in this photo
https://imgur.com/gallery/sKlvJV7
Which is currently another 2' or so exposed, I'm going to put a line of structure, probably 5g buckets with stucks stuck out and concrete on the bottom, all along that finger of land.

When Pond is filled again I'll get 2 orders (160lbs) of 2-4" BG , drop them in the new structure, and put up my 2 feeders in that spot. If I also add Craws should I add them to the same location or a different area?
Also going to be bucket stocking larger BG from a local fish management area that has 25/day limit. Probably make my first trip for that next week.

Last edited by CityDad; 06/08/21 11:37 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by CityDad
When Pond is filled again I'll get 2 orders (160lbs) of 2-4" BG , drop them in the new structure, and put up my 2 feeders in that spot. If I also add Craws should I add them to the same location or a different area?
Also going to be bucket stocking larger BG from a local fish management area that has 25/day limit. Probably make my first trip for that next week.

That 160# of 2"-4" BG could be anywhere from 16,000 to 4,000 fish. You buying them by the pound or by the fish? Northern Bluegills or Coppernose Bluegills?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
If you are adding small hatchery fish into a pond with existing predators you should habituate.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthre...ords=habituate&Search=true#Post26017

Last edited by ewest; 06/08/21 02:30 PM.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
*tire scratch*

Whoops. I meant 160 FISH but the hatchery just changed their pricing so it looks like Ill be doing 200 Bluegill 2-4" for ~$190
Then 100 Crawfish at $175.

Hmmmmm if my bluegill relocation efforts go well I might say F IT and just get 200 crawfish.

I know this may also sound weird, but I have not seen (or heard) many frogs at my pond, and may go so far as to stock tadpoles. Maybe that is excessive... I just want bass food!

Wow, with so many undesirables (Bowfin, Gar, Gators), your goals of producing large bass may be difficult. Glad to see your updates though.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ewest just saw your post.

Habituating is getting the accustomed to water temps for a few hours, or is there more that I'm missing?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
See this. Habituation is protecting the new fish from predation for a short period of time.

Habituation of newly stocked fish - Pond Boss Forum

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=536404#Post536404

Stocking fish into preexisting fish communities is not always successful. Although
there may be many reasons why stockings fail, predation is perhaps the most likely reason. Reducing predation by allowing fish to become accustomed to their new environment before release (i.e.,habituation) may improve stocking efficiency. We evaluated the effect of habituation on predation of stocked, hatchery-reared fingerling Florida largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides floridanus (30�64 mm total length) in simple (i.e., open-water) and structurally complex (i.e., with vegetation
and cobble) habitats in indoor tanks.We found that fingerling largemouth bass survival significantly increased (P , 0.004) from 26% to 46% when fish were habituated in a predator-free enclosure for at least 15 min. Surviving fish spent most (95%) of their time in the structurally complex habitat.

This concept applies to most small fish including BG , WE , YP , CC etc..

Last edited by ewest; 06/11/21 10:50 AM.

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks I started reading.

This is somethign I want to do if I can find an affordable net.

Got any links?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The only way you will be able to figure out what you want/need/can afford is to get on the phone and start calling some of the net people.

Google:
Memphis Net and Twine
NIchols Net and Twine
Delta Net and Twine
Miller Net Company

That's all I got from memory. You are looking for something like a seine with a mud line and floats. Mesh small enough that it WON'T act as a gill net. You want the net to be about 25% taller than the deepest water that it will cross.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Its starting to get some rain here! SUmmer afternoon showers are a thing again (like once a week) It's a start!

C
CityDad Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey Guys,

I was thinking of throwing together some quick piers out of pallets and scrap 4x4s.

Any tips of treatments I can do so they dont rot quickly and will last longer than a few months? Would be nice if I could get them to last until next dry season when I'll likely build real fishing piers.

Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?