Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,800
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
13 members (FishinRod, Donatello, DrewSh, shores41, Steve Clubb, Justin W, Joe7328, catscratch, Knobber, John Folchetti, Snipe, Sunil, FireIsHot), 979 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#532343 03/17/21 04:22 PM
M
mlowry7 Offline OP
OP Offline
M
First post here. I’m putting in a new pond in Central/West Texas next week. It will end up 1/3-1/2 acre in size. I know I have a long time to prepare for eventual stocking, but still want to start thinking about a plan. I know crappie is an undesirable stock for a small pond, but have also read that with HSB, it might be possible. This is my recreational property for hunting, camping and general enjoyment. I don’t live on site, but about 90 miles from it, so I won’t be there constantly. My goal is to have a decent little tank for fishing and the occasional fish fry when camping. Crappie are by far my favorite fish species, for many reasons - table fare, color, challenge etc. If I can’t do crappie, what would be alternative species? I’m not a fan of LMB or catfish.
If you’ll let me indulge in a 2nd (and off topic) question.. I have a choice from my pond builder of round or more rectangular in shape. In will be 8ft in center. What would you choose?

F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Have you looked up what is available from the fish suppliers in your area?

Hybrid crappie typically have increased growth and lower reproduction in the first generation. I don't know if you can overcome the typical problems with crappie in small ponds, but you might as well make your job easier!

Hopefully, some of the actual crappie experts will chime in.

P.S. 8 feet might be a little shallow if you get a brutal West Texas summer.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
You might be best off with hybrid bluegills and hybrid stripers.

Here’s the deal. Since you don’t want cats or bass, you have a potential problem with over spawning from bluegills. They have a rolling spawn. So where am I going with this? Every prey needs a predator and every predator needs prey. But the hybrids might give you the best chances.

Pond shape? If you ever need to seine it, rectangular will work out best.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
This is my recreational property for hunting, camping and general enjoyment. I don’t live on site, but about 90 miles from it, so I won’t be there constantly. My goal is to have a decent little tank for fishing and the occasional fish fry when camping. Crappie are by far my favorite fish species, for many reasons - table fare, color, challenge etc. If I can’t do crappie, what would be alternative species?

Given the harvest will be limited to trips from time to time and generally mostly when camping you would probably find that not having to manage numbers through fishing a real benefit. I really like HSB for your situation in that they are predator that could be fed supplemental feed if it was necessary. But like Dave I do agree that the pond should support prey also. Crappie are "kind of prey" but also "kind of predator" depending on their stage in life. They tend to stunt at lengths of around 8" above which length small 1" to 2" fish will begin to predominate their diet.

So one way to have some cake and eat it would be to concentrate on HSB as predator and support the predator with small but abundantly reproducing minnows. The two I favor most for this situation in your location are red shiner (ubiquitous where you live) and Western Mosquito fish (also ubiquitous) where you live. If the predators are sufficiently restricted in quantity, these both very prolific fish could maintain populations in your pond especially if there is water that serves as refuge for them. For example, water the HSB would very infrequently if at all venture. Say 2' deep water over as much as 5 to 20% of the bow. If you feed, it could be small quantities of cheap feed that both HSB and minnows could and would eat. These two minnows do not grow large and probably the predator length they begin to be less useful is around the 16" to 18" lengths for HSB. So HSB may begin to stall at these lengths under such a scenario, or maybe not, may be they'll keep growing. But they are harvestable at those lengths and would be great to eat on your camping trips. A very easy scenario to maintain with ladder stocking of 8" HSB.

You could even stock originally 200 or so 1" to 2" fry at the beginning which cost would be around 120 dollars from KEO delivered overnight. Under this scenario, treat the HSB as a panfish and harvest them after attaining lengths of 10" as you need for shore lunches. When they attain lengths of 16" to 18", then begin a plan to ladder them.

If you have the ability to create a small drainable pond below the 1/2 bow. You could raise new crops of HSB fingerlings, minnows to supplement the main bow. To have crappie, you could grow out some of Todd's 6" crappie harvesting females the following spring that you could sex by expelling gametes. When the females are ripe, they just spray out as you know. If you added say 20 females every 4th year then they could serve as bonus fish with the potential to grow very large, perhaps even state record size. Probably a good target length for harvest when you catch one would be 14" or larger. I would be sure they are only one sex or would forgo the crappie thing altogether.

This arrangement would allow you to harvest 1/3 of the standing weight of HSB every year, give you the opportunity for bonus trophy crappie, and would not require much maintenance.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Major Fail
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 12:40 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 12:10 PM
'Nother New Guy
by John Folchetti - 04/19/24 11:40 AM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM