Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
3 members (Layne, Angler8689, anthropic), 616 guests, and 135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#531104 02/26/21 08:40 PM
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I knew it was getting close to that time of the year for YP to spawn but didn't realize just how close until I looked up the thread from last year. I stocked some last spring and hope they will spawn this year. I want to start putting in some branches for them to spawn in and was wondering if they would be more likely to spawn on the warmer side or cooler side of the pond first? How deep do you want to put them ect.... I have LMB in the pond so I know they can use all the help they can get.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
For YP spawning on what shoreline is unpredictable. It is IMO pretty much pond specific. Put a couple branches on each shoreline and the YP will tell you which shore they prefer in your pond as the eggs will show up there first. Once the YP tell you which shore they like best, it will be consistent going forward. My YP prefer the east shore and somewhat use the south and west shore, and avoid the north shore. Branches that I use are saplings around 5ft to 7ft long. Some guys place whole tree tops in the pond and let them in place year round. Place the branch butts on the shore with the other twiggy ends in the water 12" - 2ft deep depending on the shore slope. I usually place a piece of thin concrete or clay tile on the branch butt to hold it securely in place. To get recruitment with LMB in the pond you will need lots or even extensive amounts of habitat structure cover. LMbass will eat slender bodied YP until they are 8"-9" long which may take 2 to 3 years depending on how fast you can get your perch to grow. Remember male YP grow slower than females. Two to 4 years is a long time to avoid getting eaten by an aggressive BIG MOUTHED predator. Good luck.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/26/21 09:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the info Bill. I knew when I stocked them that the original stockers might be the only ones to have a chance. I stocked them at the same time as the LMB and I think most of them was as big or bigger than the LMB, so I think at least some of them have a good chance. I figure this year will probably be the best chance of any recruitment since I still had a fair amount of FHM last fall and before the LMB start growing in numbers.

Would cedar branches be good?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Does anyone have a guess when we'll start seeing ribbons in mid east Missouri?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Start looking for YP eggs when the water stays 48F during the day. As far as my experience any type of branch like material will work. I use a few evergreen branches that get egg ribbons, although most of my branches are twiggy small dogwood trees. Some members have seen the ribbons inside fish traps. I am not sure of the laying process but I surmise the ribbon as it works its way out of the vent, dangling, as it is fertilized, then as it is fully extruded, it is draped over some structure or it falls to the bottom in a clump. The ribbon is pretty elastic but can be torn especially as it is lifted from the water.

To get decent YP recruitment with LMB, I think one should remove all the bass possible. Some ponds I deal with that remove lots of bass have success. Then when you see numerous small perch showing up in catches or traps then reduce the number of bass annually being removed. This means you should be keeping a record of how many LMB are removed each year. Also noting the sizes removed will eventually be helpful.

The other option for helping YP survive to harvestable sizes is to have a lot of pond area (25%-30%) or more of weedy habitat. Most pond owners will not tolerate this many pond weeds. You might be fortunate enough to combine some forms of the two above methods and remove just fair numbers of bass but not all you catch combined with having some lesser amount of weed cover. Numbers of bass to be removed will be dependent on each different conditions in each pond and amount of cover. YP need good cover with BIG mouthed bass are present. You can't put a mouse in a bathtub with a cat and expect the mouse to survive. In the correct combination the two bass removal and weed methods could work. Small YP are also very vulnerable to predation by catfish who eat YP at night when YP rest on the bottom.

YP populations with males present are prolific. If you have egg laying and are not regularly seeing young or juvenile YP each fall or spring then you need to remove more predators or have more weeds / cover if the goal is to have decent numbers of YP as panfish.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/27/21 03:23 PM.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Bill, thanks again for all the information! My main goal with the YP was just to have something different to catch now and then. I've never had YP before so not sure how much I'll like having them, but I thought the pictures of them I was seeing on here looked cool and they sounded good. Lol! If I like them then I'll try harder to keep them.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bobbss - as those YP age keep us updated as to how well they are doing. I think you will really like how they perform as a dandy panfish. If they are pellet eaters expect them to in 3 yrs after stocking the larger stocked ones to grow to 13" and maybe some 14" -15"long.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Bill, I will. I do see several of them come up to feed on the pellets. Some of them don't look like they grown a lot (probably the males) and some look like they're doing real well ( probably the females). I think some of them might of been well over 8" last fall.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
With so many sporting events being disrupted during 2020, I have now found myself rooting strongly for people's projects on Pond Boss.

Reading Bob's spawning post made me think of 1950's football cheerleaders yelling for his Yellow Perch:

Two, four, six, eight;
Get out there and procreate!

Off topic - do you guys think "cabin fever" is a real malady?

Best wishes,
Rod

A
A
3/1/21 45° F surface temps in my pond. I expect that your pond is pretty close to the same.
Another week of mild weather should have them blowing ribbons.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Augie I read your other post, I'm just a couple of days behind you as far as ice out so I should be close to the same. I went over yesterday and put in some branches and hope to do some more today. From what I can see it looks like the weather is going to be staying mild. My pond is pretty cloudy right now so I may not know if I get any ribbons.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
A
A
I had cloudy water last spring. Never did see any ribbons, but I know they were there because I caught a few YoY YP in my traps late last summer.
My water looks a little better this spring, so if we don't get a toad strangler rain over the next week or so I should be able to see the ribbons.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
So far I've had just enough rain to keep things cloudy but not enough to bring the pond up much. I plan on using my traps more this year to see what all is going on in the pond. Hopefully I'll find some little YP in a trap later in the year.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by FishinRod
With so many sporting events being disrupted during 2020, I have now found myself rooting strongly for people's projects on Pond Boss.

Reading Bob's spawning post made me think of 1950's football cheerleaders yelling for his Yellow Perch:

Two, four, six, eight;
Get out there and procreate!

Off topic - do you guys think "cabin fever" is a real malady?

Best wishes,
Rod
FishinRod

If you send any cheerleaders over to cheer my fish on, try not to send the same ones from the 1950's!

So far I've put in about 10 clumps of branches and hope to get a few more today or tomorrow.

Has anyone out there seen ribbons yet?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
"If you send any cheerleaders over to cheer my fish on, try not to send the same ones from the 1950's!"

I am pretty sure I have the EXACT same level of influence over modern cheerleaders as I do over cheerleaders from the 1950's! laugh

S
S
When you see ribbons, record the length of day along with temp. I think you'll find the photo period has more to do with timing than temp does.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I doubt that I will see any in the ponds around here. They are so low water level wise that all the spawning habitat is above the water line now.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by esshup
I doubt that I will see any in the ponds around here. They are so low water level wise that all the spawning habitat is above the water line now.

I wasn't sure what my water level was going to be so I waited to put branches in. I hope they didn't need to be in longer for the fish to get to know them.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Bobbss

I wasn't sure what my water level was going to be so I waited to put branches in. I hope they didn't need to be in longer for the fish to get to know them.

Due to the lack of rainfall and lack of snow this year, my pond is down between 6 and 7 vertical feet, as are most ponds around here. last year once June hit the rainfall faucet was shut off.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F

esshup,

With your "good" spawning habitat above the water line, will the YP not be able to have a successful spawn? Or will nature find a way, and they will utilize whatever they can find available at the existing pond level?

If they are not capable of pulling off a successful spawn, would deliberately drawing down a pond with a stunted YP population to skip one year class be another tool that we could employ in pond management?

A
A
My pond just before noon today: 47.7° F surface temp, 42.8° F @ 8'

Visibility is ~4', so I should be able to see ribbons when they start.

B
Bobbss Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thats great! I think I'm lucky if I have 12" right now.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Augie,

Do you like your thermometer?

If so, could you list your make & model?

Thanks,
Rod

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by FishinRod

esshup,

With your "good" spawning habitat above the water line, will the YP not be able to have a successful spawn? Or will nature find a way, and they will utilize whatever they can find available at the existing pond level?

If they are not capable of pulling off a successful spawn, would deliberately drawing down a pond with a stunted YP population to skip one year class be another tool that we could employ in pond management?

I believe that it won't stop the YP from spawning, but their skeins will have to be laid on the pond bottom where they have a much higher chance of being covered with silt. Drawing down the pond will also concentrate the smaller fish in with the predator fish, and if there is no fish habitat for them to hide in, the predation rate will go up

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
esshup,

An interesting reply as regards ruining some eggs AND concentrating the small fish for a predator feeding frenzy.

Could that work on a diabolically difficult crappie pond? The usual drawback is too much fecundity and too many little fish.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??