Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
I wouldn't be using the comparison of a UTV to a tractor to decide, they are two different things, it's like saying why get the wife a new car when a dump truck can do the same thing and more.
I have both, it's not close on deciding which one to use. A John Deere bucket tractor and a 2020 Polaris General (very close to the Ranger model). The Polaris was not my best purchase cost wise, that said, the slightly used Ranger you are looking at is less than half the cost of what I paid, which makes it a pretty good value, it's something to consider. Another thing to consider if you are in the market for a UTV is supply, there's not a lot of them around, especially good used ones.

N
N
TJ, I have a tractor, Kubota B2650 and a UTV, Kubota RTV-x1100c. For the general use you described, I do as well, the UTV is used much more often. I have a blade for it, operated by a winch. Low and slow I can push a lot of snow, but the Kubota is heaver too. The most important thing to keep in mind with a tractor is its higher center of gravity. If you plan to use the equipment around hills, a tractor can get a bit scary with slope. Read: tip overs, sliding, and issues breaking when running down hill especially without 4WD.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by TGW1
What u talking about when it comes to not driving the tractor down the rd? Heck man, we drive our tractors on the rd here in E. Texas. Well, maybe not the interstate but the county rds are no problem so far. I have to agree that a tractor without a FEL and wheel drive is pretty much useless I think. As far as a UTV, I have had two Polaris over the past 6 yrs due to upgrade and by far have a better ride than others but our Honda UTV has held up better.

IIRC the road in front of TJ's property has a 55 mph speed limit..... That is why I said not to take it on the road.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by North40
TJ, I have a tractor, Kubota B2650 and a UTV, Kubota RTV-x1100c. For the general use you described, I do as well, the UTV is used much more often. I have a blade for it, operated by a winch. Low and slow I can push a lot of snow, but the Kubota is heaver too. The most important thing to keep in mind with a tractor is its higher center of gravity. If you plan to use the equipment around hills, a tractor can get a bit scary with slope. Read: tip overs, sliding, and issues breaking when running down hill especially without 4WD.

Do you have the rear wheels adjusted out as far as they will go on the axles? Are they filled for ballast or do you run a weight box out back?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
N
N
Originally Posted by esshup
Do you have the rear wheels adjusted out as far as they will go on the axles? Are they filled for ballast or do you run a weight box out back?

I have not adjusted the wheels outward, as I do work with food plots in areas with mature trees. Narrower is better for me. And yes, I do run rear ballast on my 3 point, versus filled tires.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by North40

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, very helpful!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
teehjaeh, you have been noticeably absent on the PB forum!

I am guessing you are currently in one of your busiest times of the year!

My advice - consider each separate task you are trying to get done in a short amount of time while you are swamped. Then consider which option of all of the ones discussed in the thread would help the most with your time?, business profit?, back pain?, etc.

I bet you will then be able to pick the best "tool" for your needs.

Good luck,
Rod

D
D
TJ,

I would definitely say pass on that deal, you can do better as some have already pointed out. I own a Honda 1000-5 Deluxe and a Kubota L3901 tractor with front end loader, two completely different machines. I would not take anything for the Honda to get from point A to B in a quick and comfortable way. They are true work horses and can do many things with a lot less weight and ground tear up (turf mode is great). Definitely recommend something in the 1000cc range amazing power that you will appreciate. Unfortunately, COVID has pushed up prices on everything due to lack of production, but a demand that has remained strong....Good luck...you will not regret this purchase no matter what you choose.

Dustin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??