Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
OP Offline
W
Hello all, new to the forums, I been working on some property I bought for this pond now for about 6 months. I live in NE Oklahoma and grew up on a farm with a pond my grandpa built in the 60s and he didn't really know what he was doing but he built something amazing that has been a blessing my whole life. When he passed away family immediately started getting greedy and all's people can think about is money. Knowing I couldn't afford his land but wanted the same thing for my family I bought this property and want to make it the best I can.

When I bought this property it was full of trash, center blocks, a trailer that was falling apart and just heavy neglect. I have managed to get rid of the trailer, remove all the trash and have been working on just landscaping and removing dead trees or unwanted trees.

My pond is mostly on my property but crosses the property line slightly and my neighbor hates the pond, it generally is only a ft or 2 deep on his side at the most but during the summer gets to be just mud. My plan is to dig my pond deeper and turn it more kidney shape and use the dirt to fill in his side and bring in dirt to extend the dam around.

My wife wants a windmill out there, so I am also going to get a aerator windmill system this year.

Does anyone know a good way to completely remove or kill trees next to a pond that won't effect the fish? I am trying to avoid any damage to fish at all as I have already been catching 7 and 8lb fish and I'm sure there are bigger. The neighbor even thinks the pond is spring fed but I have no way of knowing that I can research. And as far as you can go back on Google Earth the pond has been there.

Any advise someone wants to give I'm open to ideas. Seems this place is full of knowledge! Here are some pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kmjUbusgYS2Vp5Tp8

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Wow!!!!!! Beautiful. Amazing potential right there.

W
OP Offline
W
My end goal is to eventually build a cabin out there and when we are not using it to make it a Air BNB with catch and release fishing for anything over 12 or 14 inches. Maybe, after buying the property and having to rent a skid steer I'm starting to lose funds. But it's a work in progress. I just refinanced my house and plan on building a pole barn around my slab the mobile was on so I can get a small tractor. Right now I been borrowing a mower to mow it and most the work I did with my truck or just all manual. I only had the skid steer for a day.

W
OP Offline
W
I just bought a 2 year subscription to the magazine also. I am really wanting to make this something special.

I figured you can't depend on others to make your legacy, you gotta just build your own. The pipe dream is to make it so nice we just rent out our current house and build one there but it's about 20-30 minutes from Tulsa and my wife really wants to stay in town. She's a realtor and likes the quick access as we live right on a major highway and a turnpike.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
William:

To remove the trees, cut them down, using a tractor or something else heavy to pull them away from the pond as they are being cut so they don't fall into the water. Then paint around the bark on the cut surface of the stump with Tordon RTU. Use a paint brush. I have a 150' length of 1/2" Amsteel rope that I use to help direct trees to fall the direction that I want them to go. It takes teamwork and 2 people to get it done. The higher up in the tree that the rope can be "tied" the better. I use a throw rope, pull the amsteel up and around the limb and use a clevis pin to loop it over the main line. That way when it is tightened, it cinches down on the branch and there is no know to be undone once the tree is on the ground, just undo the clevis and you are done. I have a metal thimble woven into both ends of the rope to make that easier, and before I did that on one end I slipped a 6' long anti chafe sleeve over the rope.

The bass that the person in the blue shirt is holding up seems a bit stunted. A pond needs 20# of bass removed per surface acre per year to stay "in balance", or they will eat themselves out of house and home. I would concentrate on removing bass that length and up to 3" shorter than that to help keep the pond in balance.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
OP Offline
W
That guy in the blue is me, yeah I haven't removed anything yet but I know I need to on anything small.

I been using Tordom RTU for all the other trees so far but avoided anything by the pond because I didn't know how it would effect it. There is a huge group of ugly willows in the corner that really need to go and those are currently in a ft of water or so, I think those are my ideal ones to get rid of sometime this year. Would be nice to replant some red maples or something around the pond as they are just super pretty.

But I couldn't remember the stuff I had till you said it. I haven't been using a paintbrush though just spraying it with that nozle they came with but I noticed that waste alot.

A
A
Little bit of $$$ and sweat equity invested and you will have a fantastic weekend getaway sport there.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by William Vest
That guy in the blue is me, yeah I haven't removed anything yet but I know I need to on anything small.

I been using Tordom RTU for all the other trees so far but avoided anything by the pond because I didn't know how it would effect it. There is a huge group of ugly willows in the corner that really need to go and those are currently in a ft of water or so, I think those are my ideal ones to get rid of sometime this year. Would be nice to replant some red maples or something around the pond as they are just super pretty.

But I couldn't remember the stuff I had till you said it. I haven't been using a paintbrush though just spraying it with that nozle they came with but I noticed that waste alot.

Use the paintbrush, and avoid getting any in the water. I cut down some willows near a pond that were a good 24" across, you could see the roots in the pond, and trout were in the pond. No ill effects from using Tordon the way I described.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by William Vest
My pond is mostly on my property but crosses the property line slightly and my neighbor hates the pond, it generally is only a ft or 2 deep on his side at the most but during the summer gets to be just mud. My plan is to dig my pond deeper and turn it more kidney shape and use the dirt to fill in his side and bring in dirt to extend the dam around.

William, there are many complicated laws in most states that become applicable when a pond lies on the property of two different parties.

I would not do anything regarding the actual pond WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL FROM YOUR NEIGHBOR!

I would approach him with your plan to do some work on the pond. Ask him if he would like to have you ALSO fill in the portion of the pond on his land. I would even throw in another offer to sweeten the pot. Such as "want me to make a pass with the dozer to clean out the bar ditch along your driveway while I have the equipment out for the pond work?" Once you get the neighbor happy with your plan, then say you need some written approval so you can do the work.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I agree with esshup - use the paintbrush for applying your poison. Spraying is much faster and easier, but your risk of getting poison straight into your water is much higher.

Further, you may not need to cut and poison every single willow. If they are growing in clumps and bunches, then cut the easiest main trunk stem you can reach and poison at least one in every clump. You will definitely not kill them all, but then you can go in for a second pass later and kill the ones you didn't get the first time.

J
J
If the neighbor needs a pond, it might be a better idea to build a dam between you two then it's easier to maintain the fence and neighbor gets more than a mudhole.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I think jludwig has a great idea that could make it much easier to reach an agreement!

Deepen the neighbor's pond a few feet and use material to make a berm that is 10' wide on each side of the property line. (So both of you can mow, do landscaping, etc. on "your" side.) Still get an agreement in writing.

If it works out, you could set his pond water level a few feet lower than yours. A little seepage or a 2" weep pipe could help keep his pond "full" in the summer and then he could have a tiny pond, rather that a large mud hole.

You then have full control of your OWN POND! Good luck.

W
OP Offline
W
The neighbors pond side is super shallow and he's the one who asked me my plans because he's debated trying to save just to fill his side. My issue is I just don't want the fish over there and during the spawn because it's so shallow that's where they are all spawning. Or mostly anyway. Like I said it's only 2 ft at the deepest. He just doesn't have alot of money, but has said many times to do whatever I want but before I actually did anything I would get it in writing. Just to build our relationship more I gave him a full deer already butchered this year.

Good idea on the paintbrush for that tree killer. It does waste alot just spraying but It is quick and easy. I'll have to transfer it to a can and go that route as I already went through 3 bottles when it probably only needed 1. Might be a good idea on separating it. You can see the fence line and this is the highest it's been for many years he has said due to the large amounts of rain and snow we got.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20210302-213632_Maps.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??