Purchased property with pond near Richmond VA and I would appreciate heklp putting together a plan. Ultimately, I want to have a healthy fisging pond wih (ideally) bluegill and LMB.
The pond has been ignored for at least the last 20 years. No maintenance and no history on stocking or fishing. I've already contracted with a professional (and consulted with an engineer) on the removal of the trees on dam which was the only major strucutural issue- so need assistance needed there unless anyone wants to send donations...
The pond stats:
- 0.6 acres
- Avg depth of 8-9 ft with 12 ft at deepest
- Almost no shallow water - within 1-2 ft of banks water is 3-5 deep and is at avg within a few additional feet
- Fed by drainage that runs through about 6 acres of forest (no livestock, farmland, etc.)
- I've only seen the pond in the winter months (late Dec -Feb)
- I have only fished in once in Jan for 1-2 hours and caught 4 small LMB- all were 8-11" (pic of "biggest" attached)
- I did try for bluegill and catfish but no takers
- Water clarity is about one foot
- No sign of any vegetation or remains around edges (seems normal given the clarity and depth)
The sellers of the property did disclose they treated the pond with Pond Clear but did not share any details on timing, amount, or rationale. Given the lack of any maintenace (or discernable expertise) and the fact that the property went on the market in the Fall where treatment would likely do little, not sure this is pertinent.
My last note is that I do want to do aeration, but it will be 1-2 years before I build and have access to electrical power to support so that is not an immediate option.