Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#531112 02/26/21 10:42 PM
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I wanted to open up a thread about the purpose of the "Roll Call" thread so that more thoughts can be shared.

On the actual "Roll Call..." thread, please just put a single post there so we can use that thread to get a real count of active members.

And thanks and welcome to those who came out with a first post.

A lot of things have changed over the course of time with Pond Boss, Lusk, and the Forum. There have always been internal and open discussions of pros and cons with the forum. Most all of the discussions have been regarding what actions should be taken to preserve and improve the forum, and also considerations for what the forum does, business wise, and as a driver of business to the Pond Boss organization. As time had moved along, Lusk's businesses have changed and/or evolved, or morphed into new or different things.

So, this is an open thread to share any thoughts that you want to share.

On the "Roll Call..." thread, it seems that we have about (45-46) or so members who have replied thus far. I know the number is much greater, so don't be shy.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
R
This forum has opened my eyes to alot. To start off I never realized so much went into them. I started redigging my pond with no clue of what to do. Which dont get me wrong I still have so much to learn about them. Never knew you could get a pond clear in kansas. I have seen a few more natural ponds that had some clarity but never like I'm hearing on here. Always thought every pond had bass, crappie and catfish. Oh man just how wrong was I (lol). This forum has been a place for me to learn alot and also create some hopefully lasting bonds. So to everyone from the people who help pay for this (yellow donate button top left of page). To the moderators who help in discussions with their knowledge down to the grunts like me who ask stupid questions all the time. A GREAT BIG THANK YOU from me.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
A
A
Hello.

Although I'm far from you all.
I allow myself a little suggestion.

What I don't like are those who are not members and who come to (rinse their eyes), I don't know if the expression is good in English in French (se ringer l'ceil).

There should be an incentive let's say a video section or other, and to access it , you must be a member.
Just a little idea.
A+

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
azteca, I'm not sure I understand the 'rinse their eyes' comment.

Can you clarify?

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
S
I don't get on very much in the winter because we overwinter in a different (more southern) location from where our ponds are located. My interests turn to other things. But I happened to check in today!

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Hi folks, Ponds froze over for quite a while in NW Cleveland, brrr. I still check in nearly every day. I recruited two more pond-meisters to the forum and bought one a "Christmas Gift Subscription" which he really likes. He even was persuaded to refurb his pond which I used all I've learned here and by watching Bob's weekly FB broadcasts. What I've found is that the more you know, the more you know that you don't know! LOL. It's always great seeing the friendly folks always willing to lend a hand with their experience and knowledge to those less fortunate in those areas (me). Be Blessed my friends.

Thanks again.

Don in cold NE Ohio.

NE Ohio, 2 ponds @ 1.3 @ 16' & .5 ac.@ 6'. Aeration x 6 bottom diffusors, 2 HVLP fountains, Honey Hole habitat x 35 pcs, FHM, SMB, WE, RBT, YP, BG, HBG, CC (in newer WE/SMB pond only) 2nd 1/2 ac pond LMB, CC, RSF, SMB, BCP, CBG, HBG, FHM.
A
A
Hello.

It is an expression that is said of a person who visually enjoys something, like watching video without being a member.
A+

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I believe the forum started in the very late '90s or early 2000's.

It was very novel at the time, the idea of specific hobby-based 'sites' where like minded people gathered.

So, we're talking a span of two decades or more.

In that time, social media has essentially appeared, and grown.

Over the few decades, some PB friendships that were developed here ended up shifting more to other media like FB. Certainly, once a friendship develops, ponds may not be the 'bonding' ingredient going forward.

Even Lusk does a well attended Wednesday night gig on FB, as previously mentioned.

So, have we lost activity/interest here due to other social media? Sure, probably, but does that mean we need to change up?

D
D
I am into three forums mainly...here at Pond Boss, Amazing Ribs and Golf Simulator. You get what you pay for. I am active on Face Book, but disappointed in offerings of similar forum type groups. Our forums present searchable encyclopedias of knowledge and on the spot members' experiential expertise, and ..the entertainment we enjoy of their documented experiences.
For example, I just asked for ways to sample the pond water at depth and within a day had two great answers. The one I'll try is a cheap twelve volt battery powered water pump dropped to the depth, get a sample! I would still be in Schitt's Creek if I had not found this forum! And I would have more reason for depression without the entertainment and thought provoking discussions...and thank the Lord for Bob's Wednesday shows! (and for a new internet service that works). Look at Amazing Ribs...where else could you follow the development of sous vide technique and smoking to produce perfectly probe tender (good rendering) medium rare (130 F) big briskets...it has become a thing!

It looks to me that there's lots of people out there with ponds searching for knowledge on Face Book...but they're not finding it, the groups on FB just throw comments about. Those groups also don't seem to like seeing a link to or mention of Pond Boss. Maybe a more active FB page, with more posts to capture those folks' attention...with ads for the (pay to play) forum...where they can actually research or simply learn what is needed in every case. Am I missing something? Quite possibly...I'm a retired nuke engineer, not a marketer. LOL

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
D
D
If I make a big production of our pond on Facebook, and make it public or post in a "Group"...I'm liable to be crucified for wasting valuable water to evaporation. On Facebook, I share only with my "Friends." There's plenty of conflict potential right there...if it gets political. Most of my friends will not see it because they haven't shown interest or something? Facebook is good for sharing experiences among friends and family...to those who currently have an interest...but we share all experiences, Easter egg hunts to sausages in the smokehouse.

If the programming was there to embed the forum within Facebook, maybe. To integrate with FB, never! It seems now that anything may be construed to be offensive to some classification of people, whereupon oversight censorship and even cancellation (including the wiping of memory) may be prescribed.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
A
A
I agree with Dan re FB. They've become so politically correct that you have to watch every word, including facts that they find disturbing.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think that "facts" have become "beliefs" which vary by what tribe we belong to, especially which political part we identify with. This is no more evident than for beliefs associated with the pandemic. I listen to both extremes of the news outlets, and they both employ selective reporting. When I want to understand a scientific area, I use Google Scholar. Sometimes differing views are expressed on this forum. If so, I head to the primary scientific literature and see what's been researched and what results were found. We are all naturally biased which is why scientists need to be trained to push that bias aside. Even so, double-blind studies are often conducted to avoid this bias, even for well-trained scientists. I find that it is enlightening to listen to my adult children to see what their views are. Just residing in an echo chamber does not promote growth. Respectful dialog among folks with different beliefs just doesn't happen enough.

1 member likes this: jpsdad
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One thing is certain from a business standpoint.... I'd rather be in control of the basket that my eggs are in than not.

People who have built a business stream or 'following' of FB have mostly found that FB eventually rains on the parade.

Social site, Parler, fell to that fatal flaw when Amazon Cloud shut them down.

1 member likes this: DannyMac
N
N
Facebook is pretty much a cesspool.

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Actually a good point, nvcdl.

At Facebook, as a user, I'm not the customer. I'm actually the product. Me and my personal information are what is being sold.

That's a new development within the span of the life of the Pond Boss Forum.

Lunker
Lunker
I don't do Facebook.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
"A lot of things have changed over the course of time with Pond Boss, Lusk, and the Forum. There have always been internal and open discussions of pros and cons with the forum. Most all of the discussions have been regarding what actions should be taken to preserve and improve the forum, and also considerations for what the forum does, business wise, and as a driver of business to the Pond Boss organization"

Indeed.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Originally Posted by Shorty
I don't do Facebook.

That's probably shared by many, but on the other end of the coin, we can point to many who are there, and active (Condello, Sue Cruz, TJ, DaveDavidson, Overton, Ryan Freeze, LovinLivin, Banks, Grimes, Lusk, Tyler Stubbs, Dave Vanderhider, Omaha, myself, Rainman, Todd3138, Blaine Hession, Blair St.Amant, Trent Lewis, Fattay, Kelly Duffie, Robert Kramer, Bing, DJT, James Holt, rmedgar, Mike Otto, Nate Herman, Dwight Bremer, claybird, Cary Martin, Scott Tucker, Dave Beasley, Chris Steelman, etc.)

That sampling has a vast age spread too.

Once the move to FB happened, ponds were no longer the glue of the relationship.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted by Sunil
At Facebook, as a user, I'm not the customer. I'm actually the product. Me and my personal information are what is being sold.

And that's why I'm not on Facebook.

Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker

And that's why I'm not on Facebook.

Oh I understand!! I'm only bringing it up as a factor that can impact activity here on the Forum.

Lunker
Lunker
If the forum migrates to FB, count me out.

1 member likes this: RStringer
Sunil Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If the forum migrates to FB, count me out.

That's not what I'm saying, just to be clear.

But your sentiment is a clear boundary for many folks.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E

And all the more reason to avoid letting FB inundate all the Pond Boss folk with what they think is correct and what we should be "interested in " to see and buy. I am convinced that FB knows way more about you than you could ever imagine. Just watch your computer and see how magically FB knows what other sites you have gone to and what interests you have , even with the most restrictive settings you choose.

We should focus on how we can use SM to help PB reach people - turn the tables on them (social media) but not give them access to us.

Last edited by ewest; 03/01/21 12:26 PM.

D
D
Try out one of those fake Chinese ads on FB...$39 for an electric bike...you'll never get the bike, but your FB feed will be inundated with more fake ads. I'm thinking FB lets its "trusted" partners peruse our data and target us specifically!

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
D
D
The ads down the left side of the entry page on the Forum...does the Forum get paid for those? I just got an ad for Florsheim shoes; I wore them as a kid (1950s) specially built to roll my ankles out. Maybe they're even digitizing old store receipts, mining data. Ha ha.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images