Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Heritage Farms, Castamasta, Az_Newbie, ShawnWaterman, celewish
17,560 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics39,373
Posts534,932
Members17,561
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 26,090
ewest 20,824
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,983
Who's Online Now
16 members (RStringer, Bobbss, azteca, Bill Cody, sprkplug, ShawnWaterman, Pat Williamson, RAH, OCD Solutions, Stressless, tim k, New Guy, Sunil, esshup, Dylanfrely, Theo Gallus), 226 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,361
Likes: 8
J
Offline
J
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,361
Likes: 8
I think it would be hard to do with a skid steer or small excavator alone. You need to rent a Cat D5 or equivalent dozer, plus the skid steer with large bucket for moving dirt rapidly. Plus, a pull behind sheepsfoot roller would be nice, also. The pond guy around here has a well equipped Cat D6K-XL with ripper on the rear. A skid steer would probably take two weeks to do what he can do in a day, maybe even longer, or never if big rocks are involved. I don't think they rent anything that big, for transport reasons.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 26,090
Likes: 195
Moderator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Moderator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 26,090
Likes: 195
Originally Posted by John Fitzgerald
I think it would be hard to do with a skid steer or small excavator alone. You need to rent a Cat D5 or equivalent dozer, plus the skid steer with large bucket for moving dirt rapidly. Plus, a pull behind sheepsfoot roller would be nice, also. The pond guy around here has a well equipped Cat D6K-XL with ripper on the rear. A skid steer would probably take two weeks to do what he can do in a day, maybe even longer, or never if big rocks are involved. I don't think they rent anything that big, for transport reasons.

That D6K weighs around 30,000#. Here they will rent up to and including a JD850K, which weighs around 47,000#. Here for an excavator, you can get up to a Kom PC490LC-10 that has a 38' reach, 25' dig depth and has either a 48" or 72" bucket. Weight is 106,000#.


www.hoosierpondpros.com


http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,361
Likes: 8
J
Offline
J
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,361
Likes: 8
The guy with the D6K-XL told me it was the largest practical dozer for him to have. Lots of bridge weight limits around here, and width limits, would severely limit the transport of a much larger machine. He has to turn his blade to the max to get inside the width limit.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 26,090
Likes: 195
Moderator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Moderator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 26,090
Likes: 195
Originally Posted by John Fitzgerald
The guy with the D6K-XL told me it was the largest practical dozer for him to have. Lots of bridge weight limits around here, and width limits, would severely limit the transport of a much larger machine. He has to turn his blade to the max to get inside the width limit.

Understood, here there aren't too many bridges and the ground is almost like a pool table.


www.hoosierpondpros.com


http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,361
Likes: 8
J
Offline
J
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,361
Likes: 8
There are a huge number of small bridges around here. Can hardly go two miles without crossing one. County roads, which must be used to get to much of the work, are curvy and narrow too.

Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 454
Likes: 41
G
Offline
G
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 454
Likes: 41
A late model Cat D6 is a lot closer to 50,000 lbs then they are 30,000 lbs. actually 48 and change is the shipping weight.
Around here you can rent any size machine you desire from any equipment company, and they will do the delivery and pick up or hook you up with a trucking company that will, it may be a little expensive the bigger the equipment is because like somebody indicated, they may have to go a lot longer distance to avoid, bypass a weight restricted bridge.

Last edited by gehajake; 01/22/21 10:32 AM.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,120
Likes: 15
L
Offline
L
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,120
Likes: 15
Sometimes you forget the logistics of moving large equipment. Interesting thread! Here in NY I always wondered why bridge weights seemed so excessive. Now I know. It is to accommodate construction.

The old neighbor across from me built his pond using several of those massive earth movers to dig 5 acres. When they were delivered, they closed the roads for them to pass. My neighbor had an in as he was the son of a large building and maintenance firm, so I am sure it cost someone big $$$ to transport the equipment, probably not him.

Saw/felt those machines running around, and was scared to think a large housing tract was going in. They were running 12 hours a day for several days. The pond turned out nice and held water, apart from they didn't preserve the topsoil. Nothing grows around it well so it looks a bit dumpy.

The new owners are fixing things up.

Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 515
Likes: 38
Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 515
Likes: 38
Originally Posted by liquidsquid
Sometimes you forget the logistics of moving large equipment. Interesting thread! Here in NY I always wondered why bridge weights seemed so excessive. Now I know. It is to accommodate construction.

The old neighbor across from me built his pond using several of those massive earth movers to dig 5 acres. When they were delivered, they closed the roads for them to pass. My neighbor had an in as he was the son of a large building and maintenance firm, so I am sure it cost someone big $$$ to transport the equipment, probably not him.

Saw/felt those machines running around, and was scared to think a large housing tract was going in. They were running 12 hours a day for several days. The pond turned out nice and held water, apart from they didn't preserve the topsoil. Nothing grows around it well so it looks a bit dumpy.

The new owners are fixing things up.

Just noticed you're from NY. I'm originally from the Watkins Glen area. Living in NY actually gave me my first pond fishing experience. My friend I went to school with had a pond and the Bluegills were so big, you didn't know if you hooked one of them or a Bass when you got a bite. If I knew then what I know now, I would've tried to stock some CC in there (didn't previously know that CC could live that far north).

I've been in NC now for about 12 years, but I still miss NY.


"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 26,090
Likes: 195
Moderator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Moderator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 26,090
Likes: 195
Not having CC in the pond isn't a bad thing. They can grow VERY large, and then they will eat the larger Bluegills. Once they surpass about 3# they will compete with the bass for fish to eat. Then if you catch one and release it, I'd place money on you not catching it again on hook and line.


www.hoosierpondpros.com


http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
2 members like this: gehajake, teehjaeh57
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 515
Likes: 38
Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 515
Likes: 38
Originally Posted by esshup
Not having CC in the pond isn't a bad thing. They can grow VERY large, and then they will eat the larger Bluegills. Once they surpass about 3# they will compete with the bass for fish to eat. Then if you catch one and release it, I'd place money on you not catching it again on hook and line.

True, but if you like Cats more than Bass, is that a bad thing? wink

When my pond gets finished (someday), it'll strictly be blue cats and hybrid stripers as it's main predators. I've slowly lost my love for LMB over the years.


"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 26,090
Likes: 195
Moderator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Moderator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 26,090
Likes: 195
Originally Posted by Steve_
Originally Posted by esshup
Not having CC in the pond isn't a bad thing. They can grow VERY large, and then they will eat the larger Bluegills. Once they surpass about 3# they will compete with the bass for fish to eat. Then if you catch one and release it, I'd place money on you not catching it again on hook and line.

True, but if you like Cats more than Bass, is that a bad thing? wink

When my pond gets finished (someday), it'll strictly be blue cats and hybrid stripers as it's main predators. I've slowly lost my love for LMB over the years.


Not a bad thing at all. I am trying to transition my personal pond over to HSB and SMB from LMB. Just remove every LMB that is caught and hope for the best.


www.hoosierpondpros.com


http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 515
Likes: 38
Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 515
Likes: 38
Originally Posted by esshup
Originally Posted by Steve_
Originally Posted by esshup
Not having CC in the pond isn't a bad thing. They can grow VERY large, and then they will eat the larger Bluegills. Once they surpass about 3# they will compete with the bass for fish to eat. Then if you catch one and release it, I'd place money on you not catching it again on hook and line.

True, but if you like Cats more than Bass, is that a bad thing? wink

When my pond gets finished (someday), it'll strictly be blue cats and hybrid stripers as it's main predators. I've slowly lost my love for LMB over the years.


Not a bad thing at all. I am trying to transition my personal pond over to HSB and SMB from LMB. Just remove every LMB that is caught and hope for the best.

Sounds like a fun endeavor. I hope it works out for you. Someone on here once said that "If HSB could jump, no one would care about LMB anymore" and I believe it. Pound for pound, gotta be the hardest fighting fish I've ever encountered, and SMB are right up there, too.


"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
marshell williams, WildlifeBiologist
Recent Posts
New kid from west Tennessee
by RStringer - 01/16/22 01:22 PM
Aeration holes.
by azteca - 01/16/22 01:09 PM
2.25 SA pond - build a fishery
by Bill Cody - 01/16/22 01:02 PM
Best food choice for yellow perch and RES
by Bill Cody - 01/16/22 12:46 PM
Buying Floridas?
by Pat Williamson - 01/16/22 12:45 PM
Core trenching vs. keyline?
by RAH - 01/16/22 12:22 PM
Winter Feeding in East Texas
by New Guy - 01/16/22 12:19 PM
Building a pond in a flood zone
by FishinRod - 01/16/22 10:43 AM
Biological synopsis of Smallmouth bass.
by Sunil - 01/15/22 11:53 PM
Supplier for A New SMB/YP Pond in Northern AZ
by Snipe - 01/15/22 10:46 PM
Core trench and elevation question
by Heritage Farms - 01/15/22 08:37 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Baldcypress
Baldcypress
by Stressless, January 11
Still active
Still active
by Shorty, December 15
Using FishMap
Using FishMap
by Stressless, December 9
Tilapia catching season
Tilapia catching season
by Quixotic, December 5
Coyote on Deer Opening Day
Coyote on Deer Opening Day
by Theo Gallus, November 29
New Old Pond v3
New Old Pond v3
by HTNFSH2, November 19

� 2014 POND BOSS INC. all rights reserved USA and Worldwide

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5