Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,783
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, 4CornersPuddle, DON, FishinRod, BackyardTrout), 685 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
I think it would be hard to do with a skid steer or small excavator alone. You need to rent a Cat D5 or equivalent dozer, plus the skid steer with large bucket for moving dirt rapidly. Plus, a pull behind sheepsfoot roller would be nice, also. The pond guy around here has a well equipped Cat D6K-XL with ripper on the rear. A skid steer would probably take two weeks to do what he can do in a day, maybe even longer, or never if big rocks are involved. I don't think they rent anything that big, for transport reasons.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by John Fitzgerald
I think it would be hard to do with a skid steer or small excavator alone. You need to rent a Cat D5 or equivalent dozer, plus the skid steer with large bucket for moving dirt rapidly. Plus, a pull behind sheepsfoot roller would be nice, also. The pond guy around here has a well equipped Cat D6K-XL with ripper on the rear. A skid steer would probably take two weeks to do what he can do in a day, maybe even longer, or never if big rocks are involved. I don't think they rent anything that big, for transport reasons.

That D6K weighs around 30,000#. Here they will rent up to and including a JD850K, which weighs around 47,000#. Here for an excavator, you can get up to a Kom PC490LC-10 that has a 38' reach, 25' dig depth and has either a 48" or 72" bucket. Weight is 106,000#.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
The guy with the D6K-XL told me it was the largest practical dozer for him to have. Lots of bridge weight limits around here, and width limits, would severely limit the transport of a much larger machine. He has to turn his blade to the max to get inside the width limit.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by John Fitzgerald
The guy with the D6K-XL told me it was the largest practical dozer for him to have. Lots of bridge weight limits around here, and width limits, would severely limit the transport of a much larger machine. He has to turn his blade to the max to get inside the width limit.

Understood, here there aren't too many bridges and the ground is almost like a pool table.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
There are a huge number of small bridges around here. Can hardly go two miles without crossing one. County roads, which must be used to get to much of the work, are curvy and narrow too.

G
G
A late model Cat D6 is a lot closer to 50,000 lbs then they are 30,000 lbs. actually 48 and change is the shipping weight.
Around here you can rent any size machine you desire from any equipment company, and they will do the delivery and pick up or hook you up with a trucking company that will, it may be a little expensive the bigger the equipment is because like somebody indicated, they may have to go a lot longer distance to avoid, bypass a weight restricted bridge.

Last edited by gehajake; 01/22/21 11:32 AM.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
L
L
Sometimes you forget the logistics of moving large equipment. Interesting thread! Here in NY I always wondered why bridge weights seemed so excessive. Now I know. It is to accommodate construction.

The old neighbor across from me built his pond using several of those massive earth movers to dig 5 acres. When they were delivered, they closed the roads for them to pass. My neighbor had an in as he was the son of a large building and maintenance firm, so I am sure it cost someone big $$$ to transport the equipment, probably not him.

Saw/felt those machines running around, and was scared to think a large housing tract was going in. They were running 12 hours a day for several days. The pond turned out nice and held water, apart from they didn't preserve the topsoil. Nothing grows around it well so it looks a bit dumpy.

The new owners are fixing things up.

Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by liquidsquid
Sometimes you forget the logistics of moving large equipment. Interesting thread! Here in NY I always wondered why bridge weights seemed so excessive. Now I know. It is to accommodate construction.

The old neighbor across from me built his pond using several of those massive earth movers to dig 5 acres. When they were delivered, they closed the roads for them to pass. My neighbor had an in as he was the son of a large building and maintenance firm, so I am sure it cost someone big $$$ to transport the equipment, probably not him.

Saw/felt those machines running around, and was scared to think a large housing tract was going in. They were running 12 hours a day for several days. The pond turned out nice and held water, apart from they didn't preserve the topsoil. Nothing grows around it well so it looks a bit dumpy.

The new owners are fixing things up.

Just noticed you're from NY. I'm originally from the Watkins Glen area. Living in NY actually gave me my first pond fishing experience. My friend I went to school with had a pond and the Bluegills were so big, you didn't know if you hooked one of them or a Bass when you got a bite. If I knew then what I know now, I would've tried to stock some CC in there (didn't previously know that CC could live that far north).

I've been in NC now for about 12 years, but I still miss NY.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Not having CC in the pond isn't a bad thing. They can grow VERY large, and then they will eat the larger Bluegills. Once they surpass about 3# they will compete with the bass for fish to eat. Then if you catch one and release it, I'd place money on you not catching it again on hook and line.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

2 members like this: gehajake, teehjaeh57
Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by esshup
Not having CC in the pond isn't a bad thing. They can grow VERY large, and then they will eat the larger Bluegills. Once they surpass about 3# they will compete with the bass for fish to eat. Then if you catch one and release it, I'd place money on you not catching it again on hook and line.

True, but if you like Cats more than Bass, is that a bad thing? wink

When my pond gets finished (someday), it'll strictly be blue cats and hybrid stripers as it's main predators. I've slowly lost my love for LMB over the years.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Steve_

When my pond gets finished (someday), it'll strictly be blue cats and hybrid stripers as it's main predators. I've slowly lost my love for LMB over the years.

Not a bad thing at all. I am trying to transition my personal pond over to HSB and SMB from LMB. Just remove every LMB that is caught and hope for the best.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Steve_ Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Steve_

Not a bad thing at all. I am trying to transition my personal pond over to HSB and SMB from LMB. Just remove every LMB that is caught and hope for the best.

Sounds like a fun endeavor. I hope it works out for you. Someone on here once said that "If HSB could jump, no one would care about LMB anymore" and I believe it. Pound for pound, gotta be the hardest fighting fish I've ever encountered, and SMB are right up there, too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM