Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, MnAngler, 4CornersPuddle), 625 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#529584 01/11/21 10:09 AM
K
OP Offline
K
Hoping that someone can recommend a good, reliable DO meter. I am pesently using a CHEMetrics K-7512 kit to test for DO levels in my pond. I would like to upgrade to a digital Dissolved Oxygen meter to save time and get more precise DO readings. I hope to limit costs to about $500 - 600. My needs are to read dissolved oxygen and temperature. I would need the sensor cable length to be a minimum of 5 meters and woluld want a meter that is accurate, dependable and is easy to use. I would appreciate if anyone could recommend a meter for my use.

W
W
Hard to beat the YSI Pro ODO on everything you mentioned except for price.....

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the help, I did a little checking and found that there is a lot of things to consider here. Including the type of sensors wanted, Galvonic or Polargraphic (?). One of the websites listed the YSI Pro ODO as being discontinued and replaced with a unit called the Pro SOLO. I did find a lower priced model, the YSI DO200ACC-10 Dissolved Oxygen Meter kit but wonder what I am missing in the cheaper model.

Originally Posted by wbuffetjr
Hard to beat the YSI Pro ODO on everything you mentioned except for price.....

W
W
Yeah one of the pros here could probably tell you the differences in the features, accuracy, etc. I won't pretend to know all that. What I know is I have had my Pro ODO for a few years now. It has worked well for me every time I've used it. I just purchased a new sensor cap for it this year $100.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I am not sure exactly how you use the YSI DO200ACC-10 Dissolved Oxygen Meter. You will have to call them to get that information it seems. It has a membrane probe/sensor, not an optical sensor. With the older 500A meters with the membrane probe/sensor it took between 10 and 15 minutes to warm up, then to take a reading you had to move the probe/sensor through the water column at a set rate of speed (maybe 1/2 to 1 foot per second?) to get an accurate reading. Also the manual says that the membrane should be replaced every 4-8 weeks.....

We use a YSI ODO Pro model. less than 2 minute warm up, I will have to check my records, but I think this is the 3rd of 4th year that I've had it and haven't had to replace the optical sensor yet.

The Pro SOLO is a direct replacement for the Pro ODO meter. Be aware that like the Pro ODO meter, the price of the Pro SOLO meter is strictly the meter, the probe/sensor is priced by itself and the probe/sensor by itself is 2x your budget, and you still have to buy the meter.............

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
C
I am also looking for cheap versions of water testers if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Im going to ask a lot of questions, but only because I'm clueless

5-20 Acres in Florida. Bass/Tilapia/Bowfin/Gator
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by CityDad
I am also looking for cheap versions of water testers if anyone can point me in the right direction?

What water parameters do you want to test? There are cheap testers, and there are good testers. I don't know of any good cheap testers.... Especially for O2. There are test kits that can test for a lot of the water parameters, but again, you typically get what you pay for. For a VERY simple test, a swimming pool test strip can test for some parameters.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
I have been using the YSI Pro 1020 that I picked up used from a friend and like it quite a bit. It takes about 15-20 minutes to "warm-up" and stabilize before you can get consistent readings, but once it's ready...it's fast and easy. It reads DO, Temp, and PH. My cord is only about 4 foot long though. I don't think you can go wrong with the YSI brand.

Citydad,

I have been using the "API POND MASTER TEST KIT 500-Test" for the last 2 years and have been happy with it. It's about 25$ from Amazon and tests pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Phosphate. It is the test tube and dropper type which is not as handy as the electronic devices, but money talks. I took a 2x4 and drilled blind holes in it to hold the test tubes for adding the drops. That makes it much easier and quicker to perform the tests. I can test all the parameters in 10-15 minutes. This kit will last many years even if you are doing water tests every week. Maybe not in Florida due to the much longer pond season, but certainly a couple years.

The downsides compared to the expensive electric devices are...

1.) It's resolution is a bit wide, meaning you really can't tell what the readings are to a precise point. ie - PH can be determined to be between 6 and 6.5, but you'll be hard pressed to know that it is exactly 6.3. NOT a big deal for pond water. I have cross checked it with my electric DO/PH meter and it is always very close.

2.) The lighting available for comparing the test tubes to the chart can make it mildly questionable. Fluorescent bulbs will give a different reading compared to daylight, incandescent, etc. Still, not a big deal...just the difference between a little above a ph of 6 or a little below. I always use the same light in my shop to stay consistent.

Upsides...

1.) Affordable.

2.) Easy to use.

3.) It utilizes the proper ranges for ponds.

I have also used the "CHEMetrics K-7512 Dissolved Oxygen Kit, 1-12 ppm Range" and like it too, but it is a bit expensive to use frequently. But, it works well and much like the API test tube kit. I have since purchased a hand held DO/PH meter and cross checked the Chemetrics to find them very close as well.

There is a thread I started on my pond for water chemistry and you all might find the whole thread interesting, but the very first post is where I have collected and saved ALOT of info pertaining to pond water chemistry that I, mostly, found here on PB. If nothing else the first post is worth digging through. Here it is...

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508843

Fish on!,
Noel
C
C
THanks QA, that's the one I was eyeballing. Was hoping for something similar for oxygen but looks like Ill need ot put a 200-300 meter on the xmas list or something this year.

Im going to ask a lot of questions, but only because I'm clueless

5-20 Acres in Florida. Bass/Tilapia/Bowfin/Gator

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM