Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls
18,474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,936
Posts557,711
Members18,475
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
15 members (Theo Gallus, Bigtrh24, Theeck, Mainer, catscratch, FireIsHot, Layne, Sunil, Abaggs, homewardbound, Zep, Augie, e_stallman, FishinRod, canyoncreek), 900 guests, and 179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52939 04/06/05 11:47 AM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
If you think your pond is hidden from the motivated poacher check this out...

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Wow, Pretty impressive. One good thing is that neither of my ponds had been built when the latest map was done in 1995.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It wasn't my property. I guess it's not flawless.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Hey Meadowlark - I hear you have some pretty nice fish on your place...you mind giving us the corodinates?

: )

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Darnold,

I know you mean well but Meadow Lark's not laughing about it. He's put in a lot of time and money and people are stealing him blind. Personally if it was me I be putting some birdshot in some asses.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
I'm laughing with you. I have same issues - my place is 2 hours away. Im sure the locals know more about it than I do...whats a guy to do?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Most ponds built since 2002 are available on a "keyhole" program we use. If interested go to my "Getting Started" section on web page and fill in some minor info. These maps are a great tool to size systems with but with all such services & tools some will abuse.Ted

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Darnold,

Try lat 32n log 44w. I hear its pretty good fishing there.

My pond is terrible; all fished out

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Will Do.

: )

On the serious side - I saw mention of cameras in another post. One word of caution when putting "game cameras" up to take pictures of poachers - I hear they steal cameras too. Make sure to hide 'em really good and use some type of locking device. I suppose a thief is a thief.

My dad has a 20-acre patch of woods close by. I kept telling my Dad how his so-called "neighbors" (who we know and talk to all the time) were probably trespassing. We put up a deer camera just for fun. Who do you guess showed up on the first roll? You got it...the guy next door carrying a Shotgun! My Dad's "friendly" neighbors were hunting the place while he wasn’t there.

Lesson learned. Look close for the cause of the problem. The locals have likely been hunting (or fishing) the place for years before my Dad bought the land...somehow they must feel like they are entitled to do so.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
You are right on...they have a feeling of entitlement and feel no guilt...makes it especially difficult.

Any ideas about hiding the cameras?

Unfortunately my largest pond is somewhat out in the open and I've found it hard to hide a camera....but you know just having a camera there that they can see acts as a deterrent, I believe. I have had one camera destroyed however...but on the good side my evidence of poaching has decreased considerably since they found I was watching. I can't say its been controled, but I think its going the right direction.

J
J
The best arrangement I have found to stop unwanted use of a pond is to find one or two responsible locals you like and give them permission. Set conditions like how often and "catch and release", then let them know they should "police" the property as if it were their own. They should understand that their priveledges will be revoked if they do not get the trespassing undercontrol or violate any of the conditions you set. This has worked great for me. All those piles of discarded line, six empty beer cans and a syrofoam worm container have disappeared! Also of note, if you have any retriever trainers in your area, they will be happy to provide this service and they don't even want to fish. Just a place to train their labs.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Meadowlark - you have a good point and come to think of it – after our neighbor was photographed, we have seen a lot less activity on my Dad’s place. Perhaps NOT hiding the camera produces better results.

Here is a good web site for hunting topics, lots of focus on game cameras. I have seen cameras use varoius strapping devices, hardend cases..etc on this website. Click on "Forums".

http://www.jesseshunting.com/

B
B
Google has launched a new map and satellite service. It is much more up to date I can see my 4 year old pond and even a gravel road put in next to my property 5 months ago. Where terra-server doesn't. Check it out.

Bob

http://maps.google.com/

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Meadowlark.Thanks for your prior help with my posts. I hope this idea may help with your poaching problem . About 30 feet from the bank in water about 4-5 feet deep drive a wood post into the lake bottom so that it is about 5 feet above the water. On the post mount a small hanging feeder on top of the feeder [ or inside the feeder if it will fit and function] place your camera. Be sute to strongly secure the feeder and camera to the post. The water should deep enough that wading to the post is not possible. This all assumes that boats are not avaliable to the poachers. We have had good results from having the local game warden put out the word that he was looking into the matter and was going to stop the poaching. Good luck , and keep us posted. ewest.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
ewest,

Thank you, I had the same idea last night, really.

I can buy an 8 foot steel post and mount a camera (or even fake camera) on it in some strategic locations. I'm going to try that this weekend. I think it will really help, thanks.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think the idea of having a talk with the Game Warden is a good idea. Give him a key. Poachers will get used to seeing him come and go.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
On the idea of driving a post into the pond bottom in deeper water, I tried this when I was looking for a way to mount my bug light fish feeder.

I had no luck driving in metal sign posts while standing in my Pond Master boat. We couldn't keep the boat steady at all.

Am I missing something?

Not to mention, after the first few inches of muck on the pond bottom, it was hard as hell.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Uh oh...seemed like a good idea at the time...those steel posts drive pretty easily...on solid ground. I'll try it anyway and report on Monday, assuming I don't drown.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Sunil I have driven many posts into our pond bottoms using a post driver { similar to a fence post driver} and/or a sledgehammer { 10 lbs.}. I sharpen the end first . Our ponds have bottoms of clay, rock and dirt. If one place is to hard just move over a few feet. It can be tricky from a small boat but not that difficult. In shallow water {4-5 feet}you can easily use a 10 foot A-frame ladder to stand on. We use the posts as part of our brush pile/structure program. We drive the posts where wanted then tie x-mas trees and other trees and brush to them using small trot line string. They soon sink and we then cut the small rope and they sink.
After a while you build up a good pile and the post tells you where it is .There are a bunch of ways to place the trees so you get the size , shape and location of pile that you want . You can leave the rope on at a length so that the tree is in the depth zone you want. Example- in 12 feet of water use a 6 foot x-mas tree with a 4 foot rope-this places the tree in the 4 to 10 foot water zone. I think you can see the many ways this plan can be adapted using multiple posts and trees at different depths . The options are limited only by your imagination. I hope this helps . I intended to post this before under the structure heading . Thanks ewest

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
The fish feeder / camera suggestion is a good one! I'll have to remember that. The Google map wasn't very detailed for my location yet. I have seen some of the GIS systems' detail and what they can do. Pretty dang spooky. They can zoom in on your property, measure the size of your pond, map out the best routes to get there, nearest dwellings, etc. I think many of the NCRS offices may have some versions of these and many counties are getting them.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Yep Rangersedge,

Only a matter of time until "Big Brother" gets more intrusive.

What scares me is if we have another Great Depression. Did you know the government took over a lot of homes and properties in the last depression due to taxes that couldn't be paid? And most homes back then were paid for.

I think I'd die in a gun battle before they took my property.

D
D
Guys,

If you mount a hidden camera, please point it at a "No Tresspassing" sign placed by the pond. Put the sign in the best fishing spot. Try to make it so the person will be standing in front of it when he or she turns around. It may make for a funniest video entry when someone tears down the sign or returns time and time again.

Dennis
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
ewest, your comment about a 10' A Frame ladder put in the water set off an explosion in my mind. The light that went off in my head was almost too bright. Thanks for that.

Cecil, at least you can rest assured that if anyone tries to take over your property by force, you can arm some of your jumbo perch as fellow combatants in the fight for your land.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Meadowlark, I think I may have the same problem with poachers that you do. Like you, I live 70 miles away from my land. I can normally only get there on weekends and it isn't hard to time me.

I have been puzzled with the lack of bass activity. I envied Norm Kopecky when he posted about catching bass during an early warm period quite a distance North of me. I have seen only 2 bass this year, a small 8 or 9 incher and one that hit a spinner bait several weeks ago. I am just not seeing any bass activity. They aren't clobbering the bluegills when I feed and I'm not seeing any feeding at daybreak like I always have. Catfish numbers seem to be down when I feed. It seems like 4 years after initial stocking that I should be bass heavy. I'm not. I am loaded with bluegills of all sizes.

I've been thinking that it was early in the year, only a one acre pond and maybe they have gotten hook shy. Admittedly, I have been hammering bluegills since George hooked me on fly fishing and maybe I have spooked them. However, last Thursday I had to go there and decided to spend the night and do some fishing. I dipped a worm around all of the likely brush piles and walked the perimeter with an ultralight. Same thing the next morning. Nothing and no feeding activity. This weekend, I was up and just watching at dawn. Nothing! Then, I found a couple of dead turtles with holes in their shells. I don't believe I have non fishing turtle shooters.

OK, maybe I'm a lousy fisherman but I spent quite a few years on the bass tournament trail and think I know a little something about what I'm doing. Or at least I used to know what I was doing in lakes. Maybe not. I tried small bluegills as live bait and did no good.

I'm going to take my game camera and try to find a place to put it. I'm not interested in warning people away. Heck, I want proof and retribution. I certainly envy the guys who live on their land.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Dave,

Yes, you have all the signs. I am very sorry to hear that. It is a very disturbing problem...and it does not help when people say "well, you just don't know how to fish for them".

My cameras and traps seem to be working...along with putting the word out at the local feed store that I'm after the ba*stards.

Maybe the worst part is how long it takes to recover, assuming you can get it stopped. Very discouraging.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed