Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Augie, Fishingadventure, dg84s, Groundhog7, IND1371, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 788 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
They are tubular and they vary in length.

Dean

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Regarding Grass carp R&R from Indiana said " my experience as it pertains to Grass Carp. Added 30 Grass Carp to my pond 10 acre pond (3/acre) in 2013 because of Southern Naiad. within two years Naiad was wiped out completely. Not sure that's what I wanted but..........I do believe that it has prevented my black crappie from getting out of control based on nowhere to hide." R&R probably has the correct assumption that the loss of the dense naiad weed cover allowed the bass to forage heavily on the crappie.

DeanCutter - GC have plant eating preferences so the results in your pond could be similar, different or quite different depending on the weed species and preferences of the GC. Note R&R's weed problem was southern naiad which is a finely divided delicate plant with maybe a unique or palatable flavor. Your pond does not have naiad according to the report. In my experiences with GC, I have noticed that not all GC eat the same weed species as well. This is probably similar to people who some do not like spinach nor broccoli while some people relish these foods. Individual preferences occur probably even in fish. It will be interesting to learn how well your 10/acre GC deal with your weed problem.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/17/20 04:10 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
OP Offline
D
Great. I may have a pond full of picky eaters. I think that I have seen evidence of the milfoil being eaten by the GC. I could be wrong but I would be okay with them clearing out the milfoil. Speaking of milfoil, does this stuff just float around without be rooted into the pond. I get large amounts of it pushed againts the downward wind side of the pond after a strong wind event. I rake it out and after the next wind storm another pile has shown up. Also, what happens to the milfoil in the winter months?

Dean

Last edited by Deancutler; 11/17/20 11:00 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Deancutler
They are tubular and they vary in length.

Dean

It sounds like Optimal Fish Food private labeled some for them.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
OP Offline
D
Are the percentages the same as Optimal Fish Food?

Dean

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I may have a pond full of picky eaters. I think that I have seen evidence of the milfoil being eaten by the GC. I could be wrong but I would be okay with them clearing out the milfoil. Speaking of milfoil, does this stuff just float around without be rooted into the pond. I get large amounts of it pushed against the downward wind side of the pond after a strong wind event. I rake it out and after the next wind storm another pile has shown up. Also, what happens to the milfoil in the winter months?

I think the GC need to be larger sized such as 24"-30" to readily eat milfoil. The stems of especially older plants are a little firmer and maybe not as easy to eat as the soft leaves and new sprouts. Stems are considered stout and leaves fairly soft.. It normally grows rooted to the bottom. The flowers (Jun-Aug depending on location) above the surface as pinkish spikes with tiny yellow flowers produce seeds but it mainly spreads by fragmentation and rhizome growth. After the fall flowering the plants usually die back to the root crowns which regrow in spring. This die back could be why you are now seeing large amounts wind rowed after wind events. When GC start eating Milfoil they do not get all the material in their mouth thus numerous plants escape and float. In mid season when you are seeing floating stems this is a sign the GC are working on it. Don't expect good control of it until your GC are bigger individuals.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/19/20 04:33 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
D
OP Offline
D
Flowers? I've never seen any flowers. I usually get a green sprout that sticks out above the surface of the water but have never seen flowers. So is the plant now in a dormant stage? Is now the best time to rake it out?

Dean

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Good advice here, fellas.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
D
OP Offline
D
Okay here's the pond update this far.

I've began hand feeding twice a day since October but had to scale back to once a day when the time changed because it was dark in the morning as I left for work. I'm assuming that the fish don't eat in the dark. I purchased and installed the Texas Feeder yesterday and will be able to feed twice a day once again. My question is, do I need to feed twice a day with the temperature dropping? With the cooler temperatures I am finding it difficult to catch the smaller LMB that I am targeting to remove as part of my harvest plan. What do you guys do to harvest during the cooler times of the year. Or maybe the LMB are in deeper waters and I may need to fish further out. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Dean

D
OP Offline
D
Any suggestions???

J
J
Hi Dean,

I think the fish may be deeper and concentrated around structure. So drop-offs of the old creek bed might concentrate them right now. Casting farther out could help too. So as far as bait, using some 4" golden shiner would be very attractive to the size of LMB you are trying to cull. I've caught winter LMB on them before. They didn't just smack it though, the takes are generally kind of slow but steady moving kind of. My son and I caught one a week or so ago on a 4" bluegill. Took a while to bring some close but they noticed and swam around the bluegill "like sharks" ... at least that's how he saw it. Eventually that BG was history and he was getting a photo taken. But the take was slow and steady when it finally happened. We like to fish a Gamatsu Octupus hook in 3/0 under a balloon filled just enough not to stretch the rubber. This just enough to keep the bait out of the weeds but not enough for the LMB to really notice.

When the day get longer ... so like end of January or beginning of February ... I can't explain it because the temps are usually lower but the bite will improve. I can't encourage you enough to get a little boat to get out there. Don't be averse to using helps like jugs and such either. You've got a lot of fish to catch so all is fair in the culling war. When the temps rise again above 55 the bite will be better still. By the way, winter caught fish are IMHO the very best eating.

As for feeding, I will let others chime on this but its good to hear you have the feeder installed.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the advice jpsdad. I will definitely fish the deeper water and try some of your tactics. Could you expound on the "jug" fishing? I'm aware of jug fishing for catfish but never heard of jug fishing for LMB.

Dean

J
J
Dean,

LMB don't tend to stay on a jug like catfish do. So I don't mean set the jug and leave it over night. Use them as a way to have multiple lines out. Monitor them and when you observe a fish on one, get to it quickly. Variations ... set out three balloons (filled about 1/4) on rods and drift or slowly troll them. This can also be a way to locate fish concentrations. Striper guides do this. There are gadgets that will separate the outer lines and keep them left or right of the boats direction. Another variation when they are back along the shore would a jug line along the weeds where jugs are separated 20 feet or so. You can just keep moving it along every 20 minutes or so and cover lots of water with lots of active bait. These are just I ideas so don't be shy to experiment and improvise.

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/11/20 11:36 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The fish slow way down (eating pellet wise) when water temps drop in the Fall below 60°F. What's your water temp now?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
OP Offline
D
jpsdad,

Thanks for the clarification and suggestions. I plan on hitting it pretty hard over the holiday break and will try some of your suggestions.

esshup,

Whats the best way to measure the water temp? I can measure it at the surface but should I be measuring it at a different depth?

Thanks,

Dean

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes you need both surface and underwater temps. At least bottom temp and a few more. See link.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=3890&Number=38397#Post38397

Last edited by ewest; 12/14/20 01:20 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday