Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
N
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
As 1/4ac says, Newts and salamanders are basically inhabitants of woodland pools without fish. Fish of many species will prey heavily on the tadpoles to eliminate the population. You can try adding them but do not expect them to thrive in your fishy pond. Leave the trap door snails out they will be a problem species for the pond ecosystem. It is very hard to find anyone that sells pickerel. Good luck.

My pond has a good population of Eastern Red Spotted Newts. You can see them swimming around in shallow areas. I think the bass ignore them except when they are spawning as they will eat eggs.

Last edited by nvcdl; 12/06/20 03:09 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Snipe
I have to be 100% honest about this.. This IS how many get started in this. I've spent a heck of a lot more on less poundage trying to get other forage started. Sometimes it's the only way.
Are you saying that you bought fish people sell for aquariums and used them to stock your pond.
I can net off a section (ditch) and put them in there to breed, but it is not deep in the ditch as they prefer.

I work so I can buy things, give things & do things...
J
J
I think he is saying that these suppliers are viable sources of some species of fish. People don't just stock them in a pond with existing fish but rather use them in an initial stocking or use a grow out facility to grow them to adult sizes where they can reproduce.

If the LMB and Bowfin are reproducing in your pond, you should look at the pickerel as a bonus fish that you might catch from time to time. You don't have a lot of water so maybe around 3 or 4 of them every 3 or 4 years? Stock 10" to 14" Chain pickerel and take what they give you. They do not like water without weeds and might not do as well competing with LMB and Bowfin. Just add them for fun. If you can learn to sex them, try to select females. They tend to live longer and can grow to larger sizes.

The redfin would be more at home in your ditches than in the pond with the other fish. They "might" form a self sustaining community in your ditches but be much less common in your pond. The redfin, even at 2 to 3 years of age, could be prey for LMB and bowfin (and chain pickerel for that matter). I see the redfin best as standalone sportfish that doubles as panfish (8" to 10") and apex predator (>10" but less than 15"). They only tend to live 5 years (much like BG tend to) and aren't going to be large. (1 lb will be an exceptional specimen). They would be best combined with things like small shiner, Gams, dollar sunfish, killifish, etc. In a pond where they are the apex predator, they will utilize all spaces and become the dominate biomass but where other species fill the apex predator role and/or large lepomis represent competition, they will only exist at the margins in low densities or be extirpated.

Last edited by jpsdad; 12/07/20 09:16 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

OP Offline
Originally Posted by jpsdad
clip....They would be best combined with things like small shiner, Gams, dollar sunfish, killifish, etc...clip
I only considered pickerel because it was suggested here.
I do like your list "small shiner, Gams, dollar sunfish, killifish"
Is there a long list of small fish stocking options?
I recognize small shiners.
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is Gams short for.
Also, what type of sunfish is a dollar sunfish.
And.... killifish sound interesting.
BTW, I did not stock the Large Mouth Bass and Bowfin..... Damn birds did! mad

I work so I can buy things, give things & do things...
J
J
Originally Posted by Johnny MAX
Originally Posted by jpsdad
clip....They would be best combined with things like small shiner, Gams, dollar sunfish, killifish, etc...clip
I only considered pickerel because it was suggested here.
I do like your list "small shiner, Gams, dollar sunfish, killifish"
Is there a long list of small fish stocking options?
I recognize small shiners.
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is Gams short for.
Also, what type of sunfish is a dollar sunfish.
And.... killifish sound interesting.
BTW, I did not stock the Large Mouth Bass and Bowfin..... Damn birds did! mad

A few chain pickerel > 10" in length are worth the try even if they don't reach their potential. Diversity adds additional flavor to the experience.

You should be able to source Gulf killifish locally. Gams are Gambusia ... something you already have. Dollar sunfish are interesting because they remain small, don't live long, and evolved with redfins in waters that favor redfins. There diet is primarily FA and detritus. They need lots of vegetation and/or water with a weaker apex predator. Here are some interesting options that tend to maintain populations in waters with existing fish populations especially with the help of your ditching system. Don't over look things like dwarf Cajun crayfish which could be fun addition also.

http://txstate.fishesoftexas.org/fundulus%20notatus.htm

http://txstate.fishesoftexas.org/cyprinella%20lutrensis.htm

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=687

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=684

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It is likely that something that has 2 legs did the stocking of the LMB and bowfin...

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree with Rah

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump