Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They'll figure out how to climb it in a hurry.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Maybe they are all too fat.. They certainly got their share of corn up at the deer feeder. It's part of my test for the "new and improved" AquaPro feeder. So far so good. It's been working like a champ, for a whole month and a half. So far tip proof, and climb proof. (Knock on wood)

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Lunker
Lunker
Good article on clearing muddy water.

CONTROL of CLAY TURBIDITY IN POND

D
D
Has anyone used Cottonseed Meal in small ponds to clear muddy water? If yes ..... Were you successful?

Dennis South Carolina

Dennis McClendon, Evans, GA
D
D
Dennis McClendon

D
D
Trying to stay away from the Aluminum and it's side effects.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Dennis in SC

What side effects? None known I am aware of. The only "myth" I have ever even heard of was a long since and repeatedly debunked claim of a link to Alzheimer's.

Cottonseed hulls and some other ionically positive charged organics, like Barley straw, can sometimes work, but also add MASSIVE amounts of biological waste (detritus) to the pond that would normally take years to accumulate.

Alum and Hydrated Lime, applied properly are entirely safe and have no known dangers or residual problems....it's (in one form or another) in most all municipalities drinking water and countless canned vegetables.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
What side effects? None known I am aware of. The only "myth" I have ever even heard of was a long since and repeatedly debunked claim of a link to Alzheimer's.
But Rex, I ran across a very concerning article on the Internet that said ..... wink
-
On a side-note, I've always wondered how such substances are "linked" to one human malady or another.
Does someone poll a test-group of individuals who share a specific illness or condition in an attempt to determine the SINGLE exposure-variable that they all have in common - while ignoring all other exposure or genetic possibilities? Think about that for a second....
What if the afflicted individuals in such a test-group had an undisclosed genetic predisposition for a reactive skin-response to sunlight radiation (ie. red heads), but because those individuals are found to use a certain type of soap while bathing, the soap is "linked" as a causal-agent for their tendency to sunburn? Sounds legit... crazy

A
A
Kelly, I still remember how eggs and shrimp would kill us dead because cholesterol. Now we know better.

The only thing I fear at all from my pond is blue-green algae, which actually has been shown to be toxic under certain conditions.

Well, that and swimming with GSF! eek

Last edited by anthropic; 07/14/17 12:32 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Lunker
Lunker
^ So true. I've learned to always question the phrase "linked to". Too often, it is an attempt to create unwarranted concern; most likely to serve an ulterior motivation.

D
D
HELP FINDING POWDER ALUM - TRIED HELNA CHEMICALS IN GREENVILLE - THEY BLEW ME OFF SAYING I HAD TO BE AN 'INDUSTRIAL USER' -

ANY IDEAS FROM ANYONE - I NEED IT ULTIMATELY TO USE IT NEAR PARIS TEXAS

THANKS

D
D
HELP FINDING POWDER ALUM - TRIED HELNA CHEMICALS IN GREENVILLE - THEY BLEW ME OFF SAYING I HAD TO BE AN 'INDUSTRIAL USER' -

ANY IDEAS FROM ANYONE - I NEED IT ULTIMATELY TO USE IT NEAR PARIS TEXAS

THANKS

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
I'd try another location. I called one in my area they said they have never heard of it. Another one in OK said they had it.

https://www.helenachemical.com/ and click on locations:

1 Honey Grove (TX)
15158 E Highway 56
Rt 2 Box 28
Honey Grove, TX 75446
903-378-7391

2 Whitewright (TX)
1110 Bond Street
Whitewright, TX 75491
903-364-5675

Last edited by Redonthehead; 05/09/19 10:43 AM.

[Linked Image]
T
T
After reading this I thought I would ck here locally so I checked with them at their office in Gillum La. (just north of Shreveport) and they had not herd of Alum sulfate and did not know where I might find any.

Todd Overton(Overtons Fishery) told me he has the Alum if I decided to use it.

Last edited by TGW1; 03/22/18 07:27 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
S
How did you calculate how much alum and lime to use?

T
T
SueL, click on the forum list at the top of this page. There is a lot of information listed under muddy water. No answer for you right now because "it depends" like many other things here. Hope this helps

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
It should be noted, if you use alum in your water, never do so without first monitoring your waters pH and alkalinity. It isn't enough to do it just once and start dispensing, KNOW your waters pH and alkalinity.

Last edited by Joey Quarry; 06/19/19 05:55 AM.

Cottonseed hulls and some other ionically positive charged organics, like Barley straw, can sometimes work, but also add MASSIVE amounts of biological waste (detritus) to the pond that would normally take years to accumulate.

Alum and Hydrated Lime, applied properly are entirely safe and have no known dangers or residual problems....it's (in one form or another) in most all municipalities drinking water and countless canned vegetables.

The science is definitive, aluminum is an endocrine disruptor. How much will impact your fishery? Undetermined. It will remain in your pond longer than you will. The real extent is unknown, mostly for the reason, why pay millions to study it? Would Glaxo Smith pay millions to prove echinacea cures the common cold?

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Joey Quarry

The science is definitive, aluminum is an endocrine disruptor. How much will impact your fishery? Undetermined. It will remain in your pond longer than you will. The real extent is unknown, mostly for the reason, why pay millions to study it? Would Glaxo Smith pay millions to prove echinacea cures the common cold?

Aluminum in the pond is inert at a pH of 5.4 and above...science is not at all "definitive" on being an endocrine disruptor....science"suggests it MIGHT be....

From NIH.gov......"Aluminum and acidic water pH exposure caused no ionoregulatory disturbances. ... We suggest that aluminum can be considered an endocrine disrupting compound in mature O. niloticus females."

Aluminum will dissolve in acidic water at ~5.4 pH....then it can be toxic to fish....but, so is that acidic water when it begins dissolving gill tissue.....Alum is considered a very safe water treatment, and has been used for millenia

D
D
Back when we used my mother's hand me down aluminum pots, I was a champion sex fiend for my wife. Buy, doggone, I just realized it was after retiring those pans that things started slowing down.

Dan McWhirter
DannyMac
R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: DannyMac
Back when we used my mother's hand me down aluminum pots, I was a champion sex fiend for my wife. Buy, doggone, I just realized it was after retiring those pans that things started slowing down.

laugh laugh laugh

F
F
What is the BEST time of year to treat with alum? My pond is near 4 foot low right now and cool weather with winter coming on. I have 1 inch visibility!! I did jar tests and it is definantly suspended clay. Also...I lost another VERY NICE lmb yesterday. 6 pounds 2 oz. and only 20 inch long!! I think that is 135% relative weight. Should I or can I do a alum treatment now?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
S
S
TJ and I were just talking about this 2 days ago... we couldn't really come up with a reason to NOT treat it this time of year and if the water level is down, well, less Alum required.
My problem is being absolutely sure what the issue is.. Mechanical or otherwise.

R
Rainman Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Flame...I have treated waters with temps over 90 degrees and just after using prop wash to melt 3 inch thick ice cover (~35)...Both turned out well...I guess the "best" time of year is when YOU are ready! wink

Snipe, in the other Alum thread, you said after ice out, your pond was clear...Your question is answered! Your turbidity issue is a mechanical issue. Unless you know no bullhead or common carp are in the pond, it is wind wave action and rip rap need to be deeper on the prevailing wind side of the pond. If aerated, a diffuser may be tipped over or does not have a large enough base to prevent bottom scouring

S
S
My biggest problem is algal in nature Rex.. I keep pumping pond water out to water grass and straight well water back in. My entire pond is riprap.. all around and 4-5' down.
Part of our problem in western KS this last summer was fall-out from the colorado fires, it just supercharged the nutrient loads everywhere out here.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images