Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,071
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (Shorthose, Requa, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing), 748 guests, and 188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 99 of 183 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 182 183
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by John Fitzgerald
Both 1/4 acre ponds are the lowest they have been since first filling (one in late 2015, other in late 20i6). It's going to be a disaster if it doesn't rain soon. We have not had a rain with any run-off at all since the second day of July. DRY DRY DRY

I know the feeling, my pond is down approximately 6 feet, the lowest it's been since 2008 when we renovated it and it was refilling. I am going to harvest a bunch of fish in the upcoming weeks to lower the biomass in the pond. I estimate the water volume is half or less of what it would be at full pool.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
I'm in the same boat. They declared us in a drought a little while back and there is no rain in sight. I've lost most of what I gained back in the winter and spring. I hope something changes soon!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
S
S
Dry as a popcorn fart here.

And duuusssty. "Dusting" in winter wheat in this area.

Oh and I have an announcement. Wife and I are going full retirement. Selling out the farm equipment and renting our land out to be farmed by my nephews.

Have not decided to sell the bulldozer or not. Might "need" to build another pond some day. grin

Last edited by snrub; 10/14/20 06:59 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
1 member likes this: esshup
A
A
Congrats on the impending retirement!

Mrs. Augie and I are very much looking forward to the end of our working careers.
We've got a few years yet to go, but it's getting close enough that we can see it.

R
R
Congrats SNRUB -- From the looks of your place you have earned it. If you need someone just to keep that dozer lubed up and not sitting just let me know lol.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted by snrub
Oh and I have an announcement. Wife and I are going full retirement. Selling out the farm equipment and renting our land out to be farmed by my nephews.

. grin

You are keeping the place and ponds - correct ?

Sat in my "pond" that isn't completed yet, and thought about the contractor that may or not be trying to screw me over. I paid $2500 down on a $10k project, and he's continually asked me for more money, with seemingly "good" reasons, i.e. has too many jobs out and not enough money coming in, or having breakdowns and needing money to get replacement parts. He seemed like a legit guy, said all the right things, and even played the "I'm a man of faith" card on me, to coerce more money out of me and keep me playing his game. I'm now $8500 in and he hasn't been out in nearly 2 weeks, but promises he will be there first thing tomorrow morning. I have a contract, and have documentation of all transactions I've done with him... I just don't hope I don't need to go that route.

Feeling extremely frustrated right now...

"Caveat Emptor"

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
B
B
Originally Posted by Steve_
Sat in my "pond" that isn't completed yet, and thought about the contractor that may or not be trying to screw me over. I paid $2500 down on a $10k project, and he's continually asked me for more money, with seemingly "good" reasons, i.e. has too many jobs out and not enough money coming in, or having breakdowns and needing money to get replacement parts. He seemed like a legit guy, said all the right things, and even played the "I'm a man of faith" card on me, to coerce more money out of me and keep me playing his game. I'm now $8500 in and he hasn't been out in nearly 2 weeks, but promises he will be there first thing tomorrow morning. I have a contract, and have documentation of all transactions I've done with him... I just don't hope I don't need to go that route.

Feeling extremely frustrated right now...

"Caveat Emptor"
That doesn't sound good, is he almost done?

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
The basic shape of the pond is there, but I have no dam yet, and its still full of trees that he's contracted to take to the lumber mill for me. He's taken a couple loads so far. He claims to be able to "do the rest in one day" so we'll see. He said he just bought a D9 dozer and was waiting for fuel stickers for it? No idea what that means, but its one excuse after another, and he never keeps me in the loop of what's going on. I'll give an update tomorrow to see if he actually shows up or not.

C
OP Offline
C
I certainly hope it goes well and turns around for you. But on this forum there are easily 94 dirt mover contractors like him that are unable, unskilled, unwilling, or un-honest enough to give you what they promised you to every 4 or 5 that can and will and do. (and the 4 or 5 that are able and willing will honestly tell you how busy they are and when they truly can focus on your pond even if that means a 2 year wait).

I know the 94 bad and 5 good add up to 99. The 1 out of a 100 (or 1 out of a million) is Mike Otto... smile

1 member likes this: Steve_
Originally Posted by canyoncreek
I certainly hope it goes well and turns around for you. But on this forum there are easily 94 dirt mover contractors like him that are unable, unskilled, unwilling, or un-honest enough to give you what they promised you to every 4 or 5 that can and will and do. (and the 4 or 5 that are able and willing will honestly tell you how busy they are and when they truly can focus on your pond even if that means a 2 year wait).

I know the 94 bad and 5 good add up to 99. The 1 out of a 100 (or 1 out of a million) is Mike Otto... smile

Yup, out of the 3 quotes I got, this guy was eager to get started, and had his equipment out to my place the very next day, before I even signed the contract or gave him money. The other 2 guys seemed uninterested. The problem is, its been over 5 weeks now (maybe 6?), and every time he's come out to work, its only been for 3-4 hours and then he leaves. I'm hoping he just has his crew spread too thin, but again, is that a sign of a good contractor?

We've had several huge rain events that have gone to waste because the dam isn't complete. I really wanted to get a few feet of water in there to at least get some minnows going, but its not looking like that will happen anytime soon.

G
G
Replying to Steve, I really hope this works out for you better then I think it will, I can see him needing to get 25% down for a commitment but the breakdowns and money problems are not your problem, if he is not manager enough to swing a little job that size he has issues, the Jesus card is usually my first alert, a person of faith doesn't really have to display it on his bumper. seems like the worst I get screwed over, or attempted to, is by the ones with the Jesus bumper sticker. Good Luck!

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
T
T
Congrats snrub. Retirement for me is staying busy with what I want to do. It makes for a full day of doing what i like to do.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
John, congrats. Keep the bulldozer.

AL

Originally Posted by gehajake
Replying to Steve, I really hope this works out for you better then I think it will, I can see him needing to get 25% down for a commitment but the breakdowns and money problems are not your problem, if he is not manager enough to swing a little job that size he has issues, the Jesus card is usually my first alert, a person of faith doesn't really have to display it on his bumper. seems like the worst I get screwed over, or attempted to, is by the ones with the Jesus bumper sticker. Good Luck!

Thank you for the support. Sadly, he never showed up this morning like he said he would. I called and left about a 2-minute voicemail. Its disconcerting that he has his phone off, because it went straight to voicemail, and has been that way for about a week now...in the beginning he would answer my calls. I guess I need to give him an ultimatum, "have it done by this date or I'm taking you to court."

I don't know what else to do at this point. It's funny about the Jesus thing, because the first guy that came to look at my property did the same thing. He even said, "All I can do is try my best and let God do the rest" or something along those lines, when I asked him how certain he was of this project being a success. I'm not religious, but it makes me angry to see people use this tactic to get money out of you, and reassure you that the job will get done. I should know better...

1 member likes this: gehajake
A
A
Summer heat is giving way to autumn chill. First frost of the season last night. Surface temp in the pond is down to 64°.

Switched from 24/7 aeration to daytime only. I'll run it that way until the ST hits 50°, then shut it down for the winter.

I've got the materials on hand to set up a bubble hose around the dock to keep it from getting locked up in ice when the weather turns bitter.

Been packing muskrat tunnels in the evenings after work. Think I've hit about half of them now.

The HSB seem to be adjusting nicely to their new home. I don't see much of them during the mid-day feeding, but they come out
with gusto in the evening. It's nice to see those big splooshes when they grab a pellet, or a minnow that's nibbling at a pellet.

J
J
Dang Muskrats are a pain in the butt. You think you got rid of them and their back again.

P
P
Was sitting outside looking at the pond when I heard a sound that is unmistakable, a B-17 at about 4000’ flying south , got the binoculars out and watched her go by .. my dad was a tail gunner on one and made 27 missions over Germany. What a beautiful sight and sound !

T
T
I think it is so cool to see those old planes. I would love to pilot some of those old war birds. And i understand why u would be proud. If it was my dad that took those risks to protect the world I would be proud of him also.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
1 member likes this: Pat Williamson
P
P
Tracy
I am very proud. , he is gone now and bad thing is he would not talk about it so there is something missing.

1 member likes this: RStringer
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Pat, my Dad also wouldn’t talk about it. My Mom kept all of his letters that he wrote home. I have them from both Africa and Europe. He left about 2 months after they married. They were married on the day before Pearl Harbor was bombed.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
1 member likes this: RStringer
F
F
My Dad and 2 of his brothers all in the army at the same time. 2 were at the battle of the Bulge. My Dad a little later fought in Japan. They also spoke very little of it. So proud of all of them and ALL our veterans!! Guess we got off subject of what we did at our pond today except Pat I agree there are things we see that remind us of the past while sitting at our PEACEFUL PONDS !!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
2 members like this: anthropic, RStringer
A
A
My dad got a medal for a night bombing mission during the Korean War, but he was quite reluctant to talk about it. The most I could get him to say was that they often looked for places with lots of flak & anti-aircraft fire, because they figured the Norks were defending something valuable, like a bridge. When I asked why they deliberately put themselves in the riskiest part of the sky, he just smiled a little and said, "We were young."

Last edited by anthropic; 10/23/20 01:07 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

2 members like this: RStringer, Pat Williamson
R
R
Cut down a couple med sized cedars. Took the ol' sawzall only a few minutes. Got them to as big as I can manage by myself. Gave them the heave ho as far as I could. Didnt make it too far but oh well.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20201023-131029_Gallery.jpg

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
A
A
Rig a gin pole to the loader bucket on your tractor and you'll be able to splash those trees a good bit further out from the bank.

Page 99 of 183 1 2 97 98 99 100 101 182 183

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails