Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, Sunil, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 778 guests, and 224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#526702 10/12/20 06:43 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Does anyone have any experience with the Foreverlast feeders? I need to start a feeding program on my pond and will eventually need to purchase 4 feeders. I have read all of the positives of the Texas Hunter but at $1000 a piece give or take a few, it is hard to spend that much currently. I can purchase the Foreverlast for around $450 a piece. If you have any experience with the Foreverlast please share your experience.

Thanks,

Dean

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I haven't. I see that it's a belt driven auger system.

Call them and ask a few questions. How long have they been on the market? How long is their warranty? What parts typically wear out, and at what frequency? What is the cost of the replacement parts and how long does it to physically replace those parts?

I've tried a bunch of feeders, and initially the less expensive feeders seem like a deal. But if they have problems, you miss days of feeding the fish, and if you are not there every day to see that the feeder is or isn't working, you don't know how many days of feeding you have missed. Then there's the issue of buying a better feeder because of purchasing an inferior one, and basically throwing that initial purchase price $$$ away.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the response Esshup. I emailed them and do plan on calling them as well. What are your thoughts/concerns about the belt driven auger. I noticed that as well. I also hate to invest $$$ into a product and then have it fail miserably. I have copied the response that I got from them today. I plan on calling tomorrow. Was hoping that someone had experience with this feeder.

Thanks,

Dean

Any questions call bradley at 3617981531

The timers have a 5 year warranty

These are new feeders released this year but well built....no reviews will be out yet but we are using them and without issues.

Come in 125 or 600lb size

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
My concern about the belt auger is that if it isn't robust enough to actually crush a few pellets that might get stuck and jam, then the auger is rendered useless and you'd have to empty the hopper and auger to get the jam out, then refill....

Last edited by esshup; 10/12/20 07:30 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
1 member likes this: gehajake
G
G
Originally Posted by esshup
My concern about the belt auger is that if it isn't robust enough to actually crush a few pellets that might get stuck and jam, then the auger is rendered useless and you'd have to empty the hopper and auger to get the jam out, then refill....

Good point, I have had enough experience with pellet grill augers sticking that I do know they will, and they are direct drive.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
TH sticker shock is well founded, I share it every time I buy one, but like Scott have experience with multiple brands and nothing I've used comes remotely close to comparing to the TH reliability. My original unit [13 years old] is still operating well and I'm using the original timer. I was committed to buying a new one as I had some issues this Spring, but TH suggested I ship to them so they could try to repair and for $25 the timer functionality was restored. Saved myself $120 on a new timer.

There are other feeder brands I have not tried and I cannot speak to their reliability - but I feel my TH feeders have paid for themselves several times over compared to my other feeder investment disasters.

On another note: Are you sure you need to buy 4 feeders? My 2.5 AC pond is well served by 1 TH feeder.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Never had an issue with fish food binding throwing anywhere from 1/8" to 3/8" pellets. The reliability of the belted auger is why I went to Sweeney's. Having said that, the Foreverlast feeders almost look like a Franken-feeder. With the exception of the angled slinger, it mirrors a Texas Hunter's color and shape, including the legs. It has an auger system that Sweeney uses, and a timer which I believe is from West Texas Feeder Supply. My issue with a Foreverlast would be the customer support after the purchase. If there's a problem, which can happen on all feeders at some point, dealing directly with the manufacturer if needed is much better than dealing with a retail store front. Texas Hunter has a huge advantage with that aspect. No clue on the Sweeney support, as I haven't had any issues yet.

Deancutler, how big is your pond? TJ brings up a valid point about the number of feeders.

AL

D
OP Offline
D
The pond I have has 5+ ac and was referred to as a "wild pond" by the fishery guy that came and evaluated the pond a few weeks ago. He recommend two feeders but with such a large pond wouldn't it be more productive to put in one at each "corner" so to speak? I want to maximize my BG growth and reproduction as I was told "There seems to be a good population of small size bluegill and a fair to low population of intermediate and adult size bluegill." My goal is to create a trophy bass pond and everything that I have read here and watched online promotes feeding. My concern is that only feeding in two areas would not maximize my efforts. I am open to any suggestions that you experts offer with the only limiting factor being $$$. It sounds like purchasing the Texas feeder is my best option. I will just have to keep hand feeding and purchase one at a time.

Thanks for the feedback,

Dean

D
OP Offline
D
I have attached a picture of my pond. I hope this helps you understand what I think that I should do as far as feeder locations. But again, all advice is welcomed.

Dean

Attached Images
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 9.14.53 PM.jpg
Last edited by ewest; 10/14/20 11:52 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Feeder placement all depends on the water depths and cover available. Smaller bluegills won't venture far from cover if they will be ambushed by the bass. The smaller bluegills won't travel to open water to feed. The prevailing wind direction, also dictates the location of the feeder, as you don't want the feed to be washing back up on shore.

Don't feed more than they can consume in 15 minutes. (per feeding event)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
T
I have ran 1 TH feeder per acre for the past 5+ yrs and can tell you if you are concerned with the price of the feeder then you might be even more concerned with the cost of feeding when using 4 feeders. Recently I cut one feeder off because of the feed bill and like other comments here about not needing that many feeders. If you feed like me for a trophy pond with me feeding for 8 seconds per day with 4 two seconds throws per feeder per day the cost can run 300 to 500 bucks per month or more. Right now with just two feeders I am feeding around 300 per month. Like i said, if you are concerned with the 1000 bucks for a feeder then you might want to look at what your feed bill will be using 4 feeders at around 600 per month for 4 feeders or maybe not. smile

Last edited by TGW1; 10/14/20 05:19 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
TGW1 #526748 10/14/20 07:04 AM
D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the response TGW1. You have a very valid point that I had not fully considered. I was told by the fishery guy that I should not put out more than 10 pounds of feed per week per ac. The confusing point to his recommendation is that I keep reading about not putting out more the fish can eat in 15 minutes. I've watched videos of fish feeding that look as if they could consume 50 lbs in 15 minutes.

Dean

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted by Deancutler
I have attached a picture of my pond. I hope this helps you understand what I think that I should do as far as feeder locations. But again, all advice is welcomed.

Dean

Two feeders will cover your pond easily - use locations 2 and 4. BG will move a long way for food. They will easily travel the length of your pond. I have covered a 12 acre pond with 2 feeders.

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Last edited by ewest; 10/14/20 11:53 AM.

Lunker
Lunker
Feeder placement all depends on the water depths and cover available. Smaller bluegills won't venture far from cover if they will be ambushed by the bass. The smaller bluegills won't travel to open water to feed. The prevailing wind direction, also dictates the location of the feeder, as you don't want the feed to be washing back up on shore.

Don't feed more than they can consume in 15 minutes. (per feeding event)

Agreed - feeder placement is paramount - think of prevailing winds [here it's SW majority of time] so you aren't slinging expensive feed into headwinds where it will wind up on the bank and promote water quality issues. If BOW is protected in valley or by trees it's not such an issue - but on my open ponds I always have feeders facing Northeast.

Last edited by teehjaeh57; 10/14/20 04:46 PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you ewest for your insight. That was going to be my next question as far as how many feeders that the forum would recommend and the location of each feeder. I will most likely begin with one feeder soon and add a second one when the funds become available. Currently, I have begun hand feeding a pound of feed twice a day at locations 1, 3, and 4 for a total of 6 pounds of feed per day. My goal is to improve and increase my BG population as quickly as possible. The fishery guy recommended that I add 5,000 Coppernose Bluegill, 4”-5” in the spring. This would be a substantial investment that I'm not sure that I can financially justify all at once. I am considering starting by hitting hard with the feeding and add whatever BG that I can afford in the spring (probably 1000). I will be adding structure in the next few weeks as recommended. What are your thoughts or suggestions with my plan?

Dean

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Cover/structure will usually always help. Put cover that has smaller "holes" in it nearest the bedding areas for the Bluegills. Think Christmas trees vs. Oaks.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images