Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
B
Noel, sounds like it should be a fun and solid truck. Back in the day they put pretty good cams in them from the factory. The TH400 is a good strong transmission. They can be built to take a lot of power and abuse if need be. That is what I used in my drag car I had.
How long you think it will be before your finished? Be sure and post some pictures when your done.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
OP Offline
I was hoping to have a photo of a big fish for the thread today, but it broke the line (8lb test). I fished the pond Saturday evening for about an hour before almost giving up. The hook still had the first 1 inch piece of night crawler on it. It was a slow hour of watching them feed sporadically while the bobber was never in the right spot. I got a phone call and decided to stay on the dock for a bit longer and rather than waste the now-1-inch-shorter worm...I put the remaining 7 inches on and cast it out in the middle. 20 minutes later the phone call ended and the bobber disappeared while I was picking up the pole to reel it in and call it "another good time at the pond". The fight lasted about 3 seconds, maybe...the drag went the whole time (I keep the drag set pretty loose) and then the bobber resurfaced as my bare line was reeled in. I left the pond after contemplating a swim to retrieve the bobber, but decided to let it float. Oddly enough, the bobber was waiting form me at the dock the next day, teasing me.

I did spend a fair amount of time on the truck and will post a couple pics instead for those that are interested.

Bob asked it I did the work myself and I have done everything except the motor machine work, transmission rebuild, driveshaft builds, and the front and rear glass install. This truck was pretty close to the grave when I started on it...it was a rust bucket and a mixed match set of parts. It's still a mixed bag of parts ranging from 1968 to 76.

Here's some more recent photos...

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Fish on!,
Noel
1 member likes this: RStringer
B
B
Your doing a great job.

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
OP Offline
Well, The truck is road worthy and legal! I guess it's time to get back to the pond a bit more and add more pond log entries.

Last edited by Quarter Acre; 04/13/21 11:08 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel
4 members like this: gehajake, anthropic, RStringer, Augie
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Dang it Noel, that truck is so pretty you can't use it for any work around your place!

B
B
It turned out great!

Bob

I Subscribe To Pond Boss
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looking great!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
I'm glad you all like the truck, I know I am getting a big kick out it.

Originally Posted by FishinRod
Dang it Noel, that truck is so pretty you can't use it for any work around your place!

It's not a work truck, obviously, but I did take the trash out with it this morning. It's a strange feeling to put anything in the bed after so many hours of making it shine. I hope to drive it to work several times a week and hit a cruise-in soon. I do have an 85 Chevy 4x4 that handles all the heavy lifting. It's pretty original with a pretty tired motor. This grey truck will allow the work truck to sit back and save it's miles for the work and snowy weather.

Fish on!,
Noel
OP Offline
Now, back to the pond with a little info for my log...

Tues 4/6, I stocked...

15 CC ranging from 1 to 1.3 pounds (~14- 18"),
50 RES (3-4"), and
150 straight BG (4-6")

I have seen a few of the pan fish close to the surface since they were stocked and one floater that I think was an original HBG. Some of the fish (mostly Res, but a few of the BG) showed up on the truck with obvious signs of oxygen deprivation, but quickly settled down when transferred to my transit barrels with fresh pond water. I suspect that the O2 system on the truck was inadequate in that particular tank after talking to the driver. This added some stress to the fish. The CC were not affected best I could tell. Two of the observed fish that seem to frequent the surface of the pond had some whitish slime after a couple days. Once again, due to the stress of the trip to my pond.

I have fished for a total of 3 hours (two different days) and only had one bite/catch which turned out to be one of the new CC. It looked to be in good health.

The wind was blowing away from the dock and carried feed to the opposite side of the pond where a nice amount of feeding was taking place, nothing real exciting...sporadic, but consistent over the course of an hour or so. I saw no large splashes that would have been the HSB, maybe a smaller one with a lackadaisical attitude, but likely a larger HBG.

I wonder if my fish are just leery of the dock noise or maybe that all 3 of the diffusers are near the dock as there was only smaller fish mildly feeding near the dock. Good new is...they are starting to feed.

Fish on!,
Noel
OP Offline
Just a log entry on what I've done this spring for the record....

I am starting to see some decent feeding activity, nothing to be considered a "frenzy", but a good representation of the classes and types of fish. I am hand feeding close to the 5 to 6 o'clock hour most every day. I feed a smaller pellet near the bank for the smaller panfish and cast out Optimal BG out off the dock in deeper water for the CC and larger HBG and BG. The story is still the same as usual...the fish feed sporadically as the feed spreads out across the pond. I have better results if the wind is blowing the feed across the pond rather than back to the bank. This seems to be giving the pond's inhabitants plenty of time to feed without getting bunched up and it shows me that the smaller fish feed near the dock and dam bank while the medium sized fish feed out in the middle and the larger fish tend to wait until the feed gets to the opposite side of the pond. Given that the feed does not get to the banks too quickly, the fish will feed for 30 minutes up to about an hour. The visibility has been near 12" all this spring and I contribute the lackadaisical feeding to this.

I have not seen the HSB hard (but infrequent) feeding habits that I witnessed over the last few years. In past years, they would rarely feed near the dock, but would feed further from the dock and would seem to hit sinking food more so than the floating. This spring, I have not witnessed any hits that I would think were the originally stocked HSB. They should be about 4-5 pounds now. I do see some hits that must be ones that were stocked 1-1/2 ago as 10 inchers.

A total of 7 hours of fishing has only produced a few catches...2 of the recently stocked CC and 2 of the HBG (both about 9" long and just over 1/2 pound). Lures have no affect, garden worms showed these results, but I have not tried liver, and crawdads can sit under a bobber untouched.

The Colorado Lily that was put in the hanging bucket off the dock did very good last year and I was able to divide it into 3 plants this spring and they are doing well. There is one other lily that is still alive and doing OK, I think it is called a Liou, but it was not able to be divided. The lotus that I transplanted form a local pond did well last year, but has yet to emerge. I believe they emerge later than the lilies, but the roots seem to be in good condition. I have some Water Primrose in a hanging bucket that is trying to come back from being under water all winter, but it is having a hard time staying ahead of the FA that grows so well near the surface.

I sowed about 1-1/2 cups of Yellow Flag Iris at the pond bank last fall, but have yet to see any germination there. I also sowed a similar amount in large shallow tray and they are starting to pop (thanks Neopond for sending me the seeds from you place!)...

For anyone wanting to try there luck at introducing these often considered invasive Iris' at their pond...I cleaned the seeds from the pods about the time that the seeds were about to fall out on their own, rinsed them, let them dry for several weeks, soaked them in room temp water for 2-3 days, placed them in a zip lock baggie with damp sand, and wintered them in the refrigerator for 3 months. Then, put about 3 inches of rich soil (shoveled up from where I had pond muck dumped after the pond was renovated a few years earlier - rather silty and dark, but no compost. Right, wrong, or indifferent...that's what I used) into a large 5" deep tray with no drain holes, spread the seeds out equally on top of the soil, covered with about a 1/2" of sand, sporadically poked at the sand to possibly push some of the seeds a bit deeper (an additional 1/2"). and then watered regularly to keep the sand damp, but not puddle anywhere in the tray. The sand is not necessary, but it works real well as a moisture indicator. If the sand dries out...it needs more water.

That's it for now..I'll be found hanging out on the dock trying to hook the elusive HSB!

Attached Images
YFI 1.jpg YFI 2.jpg YFI 3.jpg
Last edited by Quarter Acre; 05/04/21 08:43 AM.

Fish on!,
Noel
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images