Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,134
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Bigtrh24, Freg, Sunil, FishinRod, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Bill Cody, Augie, Jason D, PRCS), 955 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#524239 08/03/20 06:35 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I have new pond that is 100’x65’. It’s 7’ deep in the center with a fairly even 4/1 slope down to the bottom. I would like to aerate it but most of the options I’ve come across are for ponds at least twice the size. What would be the “perfect” aerator for this pond and what type of wire would I need to run the 350’ to my service? Thanks in advance!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Wire size partially will depend on the compressor's power requirements, on top of anything else you might like electric for at the pond (lights? beer fridge?). I would use 4 gauge copper to run a 220vac 50amp service that far (that is what I installed at my first pond).

Cheaper to put the compressor where you have electric and bury a 1" plastic pipe airline to the pond (I run one a little over 600' from pond1, where my compressor is, to get air to pond2).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, that's a great idea and will work very well for my situation. Appreciate the input. If anyone has a recommendation on an aerator for this set-up, I would love to hear.

Your pond is in the neighborhood of 1/4 million gallons at full pool. This volume is the key to designing an aeration system, so I suggest you do your best to figure this number out. I used the following quick calculator to figure a mostly rectangle pond (100x65) with an average depth of 5 feet...

https://www.pondvolumecalculator.com/

You should shoot for turning this pond water over at least once a day. Multiple times just improves the pond up to a certain point. Vertex supplies the following lift rate chart...

[Linked Image]

Being in New York you probably do not have to worry too much about overheating your pond. Check into this assumption! IF it is a true assumption...you have 24 hours to turn that water over. If folks in your neck of the woods tend to run the air only at night during the summer months to avoid the heat of the day warming the pond up too much...you only have half that time (night time).

With a single Vertex diffuser at 6 foot deep, according to the chart, you will be moving 1,150 GPM, that's 69,000 GPH. This one diffuser will turn a 1/4 million gallon pond over in just over 3.6 hours. Theoretically, you could use a much smaller system, but it's hard to find lift rates of other larger pond diffusers let alone systems for micro ponds. My limited knowledge and experience stops here. I would certainly consider using the single vertex and a pump capable of pushing 1 to 1.5 CFM at 5-6 foot deep. The HiBlow pumps would be some to look at. The Hiblow 60 or 80 would be about the right size for a single Matala or dual Vertex (almost 2 CFM @ 3psi).

Another option would be to use more diffusers at a shallower setting. The shallower setting reduces the lift rate per diffuser, but the added diffusers increases the pump size. More bubbles...better surface conditioning.

Even another option would be to use a fountain, but instead of pulling water from near the surface...pull it from deeper water. This option adds the aesthetics of a fountain and pulls the deeper water up to the surface, turning the pond over.

OK, I've opened the can of worms...where do you want to co from here?

Fish on!,
Noel
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks! I love these cans of worms...
By my calculations (oval pond, 4' average depth) I am more in the 165,000-175,000 foot range. I don't want to put a fountain in, so it's a matter of finding the right diffused system. I have been looking at the HiBlow pumps but was confused by their chart. The HP60 says that it is good for 20,000 gallons or 1/4 acre and the HP80 is for up to 24,000 gallons or 1/2 acre. Those gallon numbers don't seem to match up with the acreage. What am I missing there? Thanks for the help.

I am not familiar with the HiBlow pumps enough to have seen their Pond Size recommendations. Besides that, I don't see how they can even start to recommend a pond size without considering the quality of the diffuser. It's not the amount of air the pump puts out, but how it is diffused. Smaller bubbles means more water movement.

Here is the pump curve for the HP-60 and 80...

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

These curves are very similar. The 80 has just a bit more oomph, which you probably don't need. Both pumps are rated at 2.13psi. This is where they run the best and will last the longest, but you will be running at more like 3 to 4 psi. Not too big of a deal really (yellowish dotted line).

The pump will see about a 1/2 psi per foot of water depth that the diffuser is placed in. If you put the diffuser/s in 5 foot of water...that will add 2.5 psi of back pressure on the pump...a diffuser (or two) will add about another 1/2 to 1 psi as will some plumbing and hose (additional 1/2 to 1psi). This puts your system at 3.5psi if designed well (the right size line, no plumbing restrictions, and the lines don't get too long).

Look at the chart and find the 3.5 psi mark at the bottom. Draw a line straight up until you hit the green line (60 herts pump electric line for the USA), now draw a straight line to the right and you just under 2 CFM for the 60 and very close to 2 CFM for the 80.

Vertex rates their diffusers at 1 CFM, Matala rates theirs at 1.5 or 2 (I can't remember). I am sure that they can handle more, but it might shorten the life and/or reduce the lift. So, this HP-80 would like to run 2 Vertex 9" diffusers or slightly over-drive 1 Matala with the above example . Either way, it will be plenty of water movement for your pond. You might want to run them with a timer for only a few hours a day, or not....depending.

If nothing else, the above mumbo-jumbo gives you an idea of how to size a system.

Fish on!,
Noel
S
OP Offline
S
Great information. Thanks. It looks like I could go with the HP-60 and a Metals diffuser with 9” head an maybe be just right?

On a side note, is that a Garcia reference in your signature? ;-)

I think the 60 and a 9" Matala would be a very good start. you find that it moves more water than you'd like (muddies the water) then you could move it up higher in the water column, add a second diffuser, or blow off some of the air to the atmosphere. Look at 1/2" line, but compare it to the 5/8" line. If they are comparable...get the 5/8" line. It will be easier on the pump. I'm betting you can run that system for just a couple hours a day and find good results.

Yes, Jerry's music has been a part of my life for many years and we share the 9-1/2 finger status even though they are different fingers. That's all we have in common...I am musically inept so I leave it to him.

Fish on!,
Noel
S
OP Offline
S
Sounds like a plan. Will order the components today. Thanks for the help.
While I still have all 10 full fingers, I too don't know the top guitar string from the bottom. Jerry's music has been a huge part of my life for the past forty years and will be until the end. Enjoy the days between. :-)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 10:30 AM
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/29/24 10:13 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday