Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,075
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 820 guests, and 205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Fingerling
Fingerling
C
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
My fish love them alive. BG, HBG, PS and YP all go after them when I toss them in.

From a growth, nutrition and/or cost perspective, does the beetle chow have an advantage over a good pellet currently on the market?

Bump....

A little kid will fill up on popcorn but that doesn't mean it is nutritious. Are Japanese beetles good for the fish?

Still working on that. Moisture content just over 50%. Chitin content is part that needs to be parsed out from protein which I think will still be at least 2/3 (protein) of the dry weight. Hand cranked oil press does not get much oil out so will run through a larger commercial type to see if more oil can be separated out.

This summer a growth trial will be ran with Bluegill to see how they grow. Must conquer milling problem first. My gut feeling is the pelleted version will out perform popcorn.

J
J
Our local catalpa trees only have worms on them every few years. There are about six big catalpas in our neighborhood. Two or three trees had worms year before last. No worms at all last year.

C
Fingerling
Fingerling
C
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
....I also saw a link on a bluegill site where someone shared how awesome the catalpa worm can be for bait when fishing for panfish.

Since caterpillars can be a blight (tent worms for example) and probably can reproduce as fast as beetles, maybe there is a way to grow catalpa worms on a large scale indoors?

CC,

I fished with catalpa worms a lot as a kid. They are awesome bait but I think you need catalpa trees.

I have a few trees and currently am growing some more in my window sill in the 4 season room to plant in June.

If you(or anybody else) want some northern Catalpa seeds, send me a PM. I would be happy to send you some.

Bill D.

I have had some years where Catalpa Worms can be harvested by the 5-gallon bucket full, but takes too much work. Harvest of that critter is also very irregular with some years giving almost nothing. The little parasitoid wasp has a hand in that.

S
S
Originally Posted By: Jim Wetzel
Firstly, the pellets do not taste all that bad once dried. They taste a bit like dried krill which I do like.

You are starting to worry us a little Jim. eek

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Jim,

How many pounds of beetles do you think you could come up with?

I might know a guy who could turn those into some r&d feeds.

Dustin

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: optimalfishfood
Jim,

How many pounds of beetles do you think you could come up with?

I might know a guy who could turn those into some r&d feeds.

Dustin

I have a couple hundred pounds in freezers and will likely use all of that trying to work out a milling procedure.

If like last year, then thousands of pounds will be harvested although we lack storage capacity to keep that much in storage. Bulk density and drying are challenges we will be working on in the coming weeks. Our harvesting is not industrial scale.

I have funding to do the research now.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri
S
S
Maybe "toasting" them might be a better procedure than freezing. Farmers dry wet corn in propane fired dryers. Why not "dry" the bugs?

John

J
J
Where could one get the top for the trap? We had a bad infestation on our crepe myrtles last year. I would be interested in making a floating trap on the pond, where the trapped beetles would drop into the water.

C
Fingerling
Fingerling
C
Originally Posted By: snrub
Maybe "toasting" them might be a better procedure than freezing. Farmers dry wet corn in propane fired dryers. Why not "dry" the bugs?

I am familiar with the dryers as we used them for drying corn. We have been considering using one already. Killing the beetles first I think really needed as corn kernels do not crawl or fly out during the drying process.

S
S
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
Where could one get the top for the trap? We had a bad infestation on our crepe myrtles last year. I would be interested in making a floating trap on the pond, where the trapped beetles would drop into the water.

John you read my mind.

John

F
F
I had bad infestattions of Japanese beetles for two years in my blueberry field. I trapped them and every evening would feed them to my fish. EVERYONE came to dinner, BG,HBG,RES,LMB,CC even grass carp. Then after two bad years, they just dissappeared. Have only seen a couple JB this year. They would hammer these bugs. Can't imagine fish not eating them but I guess every pond is different.

I'm more like a pond servant.
G
G
Originally Posted by snrub
Originally Posted by John Fitzgerald

John you read my mind.

that was the first thing that came to my mind too,, I took the regular traps with the bags on them and cut the bottom of the bag off and taped it to the top of a 4ft section of PVC pipe with a pipe cap on the bottom with a few small holes drilled in it for rain drainage, worked like a million dollars, filled up that 4ft stick of pipe with them. that was in my yard tho, but I see no reason why a person couldn't mount that whole thing over a floating innertube or something that would let them drop right out the bottom into the water.
That being said, we have not got anywhere near the infestation we had a couple yrs ago, maybe it was a drier summer.

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
L
L
We treated the entire yard with the milky spore, and now have 1/1000 of the number we used to have. Also, our "lawn" isn't very pretty as far as being all grass. Its not. That also helps. I like the idea of the floating bug trap though!

We have a terrible Gypsy Moth infestation this year, and it looks to be worse next year. They do have phermone traps for the males which doesn't do much for the population, but it may be another way to direct a little protein to the fish.

Now when I check the Japanese beetles into our garden pond, the two little bass in there will bite at them sometimes, but they are not big fans of them. Usually the frogs get them first. The moths don't even touch the water. The bass get them about 4 inches out. Crazy little fish!

Here's a good read on the floating trap...

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=37762&Number=492292#Post492292

It did not work well for me as the fish loss interest for some reason. The JB we practically non-existent this year in my neck of the woods.

Fish on!,
Noel
A
A
Originally Posted by gehajake
That being said, we have not got anywhere near the infestation we had a couple yrs ago, maybe it was a drier summer.

I'm wondering if JB numbers are cyclical like the cicadas. We were buried in the things for the last couple or three years and so far this year we've hardly had any.

J
J
They must be cyclical. We have very few Japanese beetles this year, and the crape myrtles are blooming well. The past two or maybe three years, the JB ate the buds off mostly before they bloomed, and damaged the garden some too.

When the JB were most numerous, I would catch maybe a couple hundred and throw them into the pond. The BG didn't go for them nearly as well as they go for grasshoppers.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy