Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
OP Offline
U
Kubota, LS, Branson & Mahindra Tractors

Thought I would ask everyone's opinions on the above brand tractors. I currently have a Massey Ferguson which has been very dependable. 

Once we move, it'll be too big of a hassle to load it up and truck it across the country. The above brands have dealerships within reasonable distance from my possible new home.

I'll be staying in the 40-50 horsepower range and have grown lazily accustomed to the hydro clutch. Thought I would spoil myself for once and look into the possibilities of a tractor with a cab. Goodbye freezing tractor time and wearing ice underwear tractor time!

I will have 20-30 acres of hay fields that I could farm but might not do that for a few years. Something in my proposed horsepower range would have me ready for that project.

Besides using it for hay, it would be worked hard in the years to come all over the property.

Go ahead and share your opinions and experiences!

Uncle Shawn
I
I
I have a Kubota 5700 since 2014 and I m very happy with it.
Pro: low consume, steers on itself, has cab, I use with it everything from 2 meters mower to the fertilizer spreader to the 22 quintals of water sprayer. No electronic. Never had a problem in all these years working on my 3 farms for a total of 740 acres.
Cons: the air conditioner is undersized. On the road it does not exceed 27 km/h.

Filippo
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have a 15 year old 40 hp John Deere that has done everything I've asked of it. Prior to buying it, a guy told me that a tractor without a front end loader is half a tractor. And a FEL without 4wd is useless. I have found these things to be true. I also like the hydrostatic transmission. No clutch. actually, I mostly use the FEL to haul fire wood, dead hogs and deer.

When things get sloppy I have found that tractors and 4 wheelers make a difference.

One of the biggest considerations is a dealer close to you for parts and repairs. I don't have one and wish I did.

And then there's the need for a trailer to haul it on.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/25/20 06:31 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
We have two LS tractors, a 3135 (35 HP) that is about 3 years old now and a new MT5 73 (73 HP), both with cabs and front end loaders. We love them, which is at least half due to the fact that our LS dealer is fantastic.

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
One of the biggest considerations is a dealer close to you for parts and repairs.

Very true. We were dedicated New Holland users, but the last NH dealer who wanted to sell anything under $200k sold out to a conglomerate that couldn't be bothered to talk to someone wanting to spend $35k+ in cash for a NH Boomer.

Then we found out that the NH Boomers were made in the same factory, same production line as the LS 3135 (so are the same size JD's, Case, and IH tractors). But the LS cost about 2/3 of the NH and 1/2 of the JD.

P.S. The only two drawbacks to a heated, air conditioned cab are the price and (if it applies) going under trees. Well, and not hearing your wife fall off the hay wagon.

P.P.S. Stereo!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
R
I bought a brand new Kubota 11 years ago. 33hp 4x4 with loader and tiller. I LOVE IT. Not one time do I wish I would have bought something different besides maybe bigger. I don't do any farming so cant help with that part. But I can tell ya if you buy one brand new it shouldn't be to much of a concern with a dealer being close for parts. The only thing I have went to them for is a battery which lasted 10 years. I am a believer that they are like trucks (CHEVY, ford, dodge) they are all very well made. Its how you take care of them that will make the most difference. Shop around and find which has the best seat LOL and the bells and whistles you want.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
U
OP Offline
U
Once we get down there and get a feeling for the property, I'll start making trips to dealerships. Hit up the service department first and see how they run things. See if people are friendly and if they have common maintenance parts in stock.

Then it's off to the sales department for the first mission.......find a comfortable seat! Once I find range of comfortable seats..... then I can get down to business.

The property has a thick vein of trees down one side of the pond and a treeline all around the perimeter. I didn't even take that into consideration when thinking about purchasing a cab tractor. Luckily, I will have my redneck chainsaw in the cab. laugh

Attached Images
25de1575338c24fe22207d1ad6235591.jpg

Uncle Shawn
R
R
LOl I love the redneck chainsaw.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
P
P
I have a Kubota MX5100 and it’s a turbo. Got it at Normange Tractor .... they won’t be beat on price or service

U
U
My father was an LS dealership a while ago. He sold a lot of them, they were pretty dependable and quite a few of them were actually the old Ford design. If I remember correctly there was a shake up within the company and the organization kind of fell apart there for my father liquidated his inventory and never renewed as a dealer when they re-emergered. He actually kept one to use around the shop as a yard tractor. We beat the crap out if that thing for years and couldn't kill it. Finally it burned up in a fire back in May.

He replaced it with a Massey that I guess he's happy with though he has had problems with the transmission and electrical system - all within months of buying it brand new.

He was also a Branson dealer for a hot minute too. Shortly after taking them on his shop burned down and in the reorganizing since then he's decided just to stick with lawn & garden. He sold a couple though. They seemed like half decent machines and were owned by the same company as Mahindra. They were practically the same tractor but the Branson was much more affordable.

We have a Kubota B1700 that we use around our pond and that thing is sweet.

Last edited by Uncle Sean; 02/25/20 06:57 PM.
R
R
My ol man bought a kubota when I was 2 (41 years ago). He just sold it in his estate auction in November still running strong. He dug sewer lines for a living. I couldnt tell ya how many hours it had on it.

Most of the hay guys around here go with Case or New Holland for the 100+ hp tractors, and the mid-range tractors like mine are Kubotas. I've got a cabbed 50/30 and it's been great. We've had it 12-13 years maybe, and never had an issue with it. Great dealer handles all the service, and its nice to make a quick call and a big trailer shows up to take it in for service.

AL

U
OP Offline
U
I've been doing homework on all the brands in my list, trying to find positives and negatives for all of them. Branson is in the lead right now. Overall weight, standard equipment, price point and overall stoutness have pushed it ahead of the others.

Before I go test drive one, I see one issue. An air ride seat upgrade is not offered in a 50ish hp Branson. I would have to find a seat that would fit, add an air compressor,plumb and design it myself:(

Uncle Shawn
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I've heard that the stereos on Bransons play nothing but country music, Yakov Smirnoff, and Andy Williams.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
U
OP Offline
U
What's wrong with that? laugh

Attached Images
LqQZAftR_400x400.jpg

Uncle Shawn
B
B
It's hard to beat a Kubota for a tractor in that hp range

1 member likes this: gehajake
S
S
Here is an old thread that might have some useful information. I know it has some info on smaller LS tractors and as I recall a lot of information about attachments. If there are some attachments you want sometimes buying them at the same time as the tractor the dealer will give a better "package" deal than buying the attachments later. So the thread might be helpful in that respect.

It was a very popular thread at the time.

Tractor for maintaining small acreage thread

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
L
L
Thanks for dredging this up! I am finally looking at getting a tractor, and am thinking new as the depreciation is so dang tiny and I don't want to turn wrenches when I simply want to get stuff done.

I lost access to an older MF with a dual stage clutch, and enjoyed doing stuff with it, but it had no front-loader, and the clutch for the PTO had absolutely no slip, so I sheared a few bolts off trying to engage the brush hog.

So right now I am looking at a Bobcat compact, as there is a dealer down the road from me at work, and my old pizza delivery guy is a budding salesman. I am looking at a CT2040 level tractor. They appear to be well-built machines, and the dealership has been around for ages. I don't have experience with diesel, so I am a little frightened by that, especially running it out of fuel.

Wondering if anyone has experience with these for advice? 16 acres of crud, most needs some clearing. Mostly brush hogging, hauling dirt, and maybe some hobby farming of ~2 acres.

If I purchase it myself without 0% it is ~$19K new with front-loader. Otherwise it jumps to $23K with 0% (hardly 0% interest!)

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted by liquidsquid
I don't have experience with diesel, so I am a little frightened by that, especially running it out of fuel.

It's a lot harder to do with a diesel due to the improved fuel economy. We ran an (old, admittedly) gasoline Ford 2000 we borrowed from my FIL for the first three months we owned our place, and I swear it took 5 gallons of gas every time I used it after work. Our current diesels run way less than a gallon and hour, even the 73 hp LS.

See where you can buy off-road diesel, and save by not paying the highway taxes.

-S. M. Stirling
Running a diesel out of fuel is certainly far worse than running a gas engine out, but don't let that spook you. The older diesels would require that the injectors be somewhat unscrewed so that the fuel pump could purge the system once fuel was put back in the tank, then tightened back down. Some of the not-so-old diesels came with push plungers that would purge the lines in case this happened. Neither was a big deal, but still worse than just filling it up with gas and cranking the starter for a bit. I'm not sure about anything newer than, say, 1990 however.

It only happens once unless you are the type that learns the hard things the hard way...lol.

Fish on!,
Noel
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I ran out of gas once in a '70 Dodge Dart. Once was enough.

-S. M. Stirling
R
R
I ran my Kubota 33hp out diesel once. Wasn't that big of deal. Filled It up, took off fuel filter to purge the line n hit the key. Took bout 30 seconds total. Mine can run all weekend on a tank (8 gallons).

L
L
You would think there was some sort of check valve that would cut the engine as soon as air was detected in the line.

L
L
So I wound up with that Bobcat (Kioti) tractor: https://www.bobcat.com/tractors/models/ct2040/features great little machine with a front-loader, filled tires, and a 3rd function hydraulic feature to deal with snow plows.

I don't know how I managed without one all these years. Cleared about an acre of heavily knotted land this past weekend that I thought would take me all winter. I did manage to run over a small springy stump that pushed in the oil filter last week, which caused the machine to immediately shut down. I was OOC for a few days waiting for a tech as i could find nothing wrong but error codes, and it wouldn't turn over. Turns out when there is a high-pressure detected on the oil, it blows a fuse. Swapped the fuse, and runs fine.

The damned thing sips fuel, and the exhaust pipe is cool to the touch. How? Already at 38 hours on it.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
About the only thing neater than a front end loader is a collection of other attachments to do other things you need. We have bale spears and a pallet fork; I'm still contemplating a grabber now that I have a tractor with a third set of front end hydraulic controls.

-S. M. Stirling
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
About the only thing neater than a front end loader is a collection of other attachments to do other things you need. We have bale spears and a pallet fork; I'm still contemplating a grabber now that I have a tractor with a third set of front end hydraulic controls.

Theo, once you get the grapple for the front you will find out that it is the most used implement that you have.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images