Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,784
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bobbss, anthropic, Fishingadventure), 519 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Skinny, congrats

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
That skinny lmb may be due to a late spawn up there in Kansas. i had some on beds in May and could see where you may have had some on beds in June. Now as far as u? I can not say how bedding effects come into play smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Bedding effects are a lot better when me and my partner lose 160 pounds between the two of us.......literally. grin

Just noticed yesterday in the RES/SMB pond a small school of about 3" long SMB fry swim along the edge of the bank while I was fishing. Was surprised a SMB had spawned that late.

Pictures are of Saturday morning chores before it gets hot. Had 35 in the holding pen, mostly hybrid BG and hybrid RES with a couple stray GSF we filleted this morning. Caught over the last couple days. No CC this time which is unusual.

Edit: wife hates it when I take pictures of her in clothes that were never meant to be in public. eek

The hybrid RESxGSF she is filleting came out of the RES/SMB pond and weighed 1.2#. Wish they were all like that! 360 sunfish (90% being hybrids) and 53 CC harvested this year to date out of the ponds. Not counting a bunch of smaller ones I clip the fins and put back for bass food. So far returning most of the pure BG and RES back to the water as we catch them as long as they are attractive looking specimens. Keeping the hybrids for the table.

The CNBG males went back in the water. One was out of our old pond and one out of the main pond. I really like the looks of CNBG. They are pretty fish. The picture does not do them justice.

Last one of course is a RES about 8" long. It also came out of the RES/SMB pond.

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com][Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com][Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com][Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com][Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com][Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

Last edited by snrub; 07/11/20 01:43 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
2 members like this: Pat Williamson, RStringer
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Put on the scuba gear and dove in the three big ponds. All murky and couldn't see crap. Extend the arm and could see the back of the hand but fingers disappear into the murk.

Grandson had not been diving for a couple years and we are going to the Bahamas with him in a couple weeks so I wanted to make sure his gear still worked properly and that he was ok in the water. He was like a fish. No problem.

The RES/SMB pond looked clearest so we started there. Did find out that the pond bottom was completely denuded of bushy pond weed. Nothing but mud down there. Thinking maybe I need to find a way to take out some grass carp. A little bit of cold water at depth so there was a loose thermocline. Did have one fish bite me on the leg to let me know I was not supposed to be there.

Then went to the old pond. Looked around the spatterdock lilies. That pond has a single deep spot and there was a definitive thermocline in it. Pitch black and cold down there. Like being in a cave, doesn't matter if you have your eyes open or closed, it is the same darkness.

Moved on to the main pond which has bottom diffused aeration. No definitive thermocline although there was a slight difference in temperature at depth. There were also pockets of cooler water in different spots around the pond, but nothing like the thermocline in the old pond. We did go around to the three double diffusers and clean them off, which they needed as I never got it done last year. They were crudded up somewhat but not as bad as I expected and they cleaned off easier than I expected. Grandson cleaned two but I had him leave the last one for me so I would know how much stuff was on it. Got "bumped" pretty hard on my right side by something, I presume by the magnitude it was a CC but I suppose it could have been a larger BG or RES. Whatever it was it did not like me there because as I was cleaning the diffuser disks it rammed me in the side of my bouyency compensator (BC jacket) where the weight pockets are. Nothing severe but I could definitely feel it.

All in all about an hour in the three ponds in the water and although we never saw any fish I did learn some things about the thermoclines or lack thereof in the different ponds. To see fish we would have to stay very still for a long time in one location and let the fish come to us and the grandson was not so much into that. Still it was instructional, got the dive gear checked out and his skills checked out as well as the diffusers cleaned so mission accomplished.

Last edited by snrub; 07/14/20 10:07 AM.

John

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
How NOT to mow your pond bank edge.................

The main pond was so low and dry along the edge I just put one set of tires of the tractor down in the bank and mowed around the pond. Worked fine.

Then I went to the RES/SMB pond. Started working fine. Then as both the front and rear tire started squishing down into the pond and the front tire getting wet I remembered something. I had expanded that pond and in doing so had tapered only the top edge about three feet.........then it was a straight drop off to about 8 feet because the extension on the pond I did while the rest of the pond still was mostly full. So I basically cut a trench with the dozer on that end of the pond then raised the overflow pipe a foot. Well my tractor was crushing that vertical wall and I did not want to see how deep it still was. Of course my cab only has a left door (too cheap to buy the hinge and door handle for the right glass). And I went around the pond the wrong way so my door side was open to the water, Hmmmm.......probably did not think this one through. So I called my wife for help and crawled out through the back window onto the mower. That was not so easy for a 68 year old guy.

So we got a chain and the telehandler and pulled it right out, no worse for wear. I had tried one time to back it out before calling her and lets just say it was a tense moment as the tractor headed sideways for open water. Picture attached.

Senior moment??????

Attached Images
How not to mow pond bank (1040 x 780).jpg
Last edited by snrub; 08/26/22 04:03 PM.

John

J
J
John,
Whew, that was close!

I had a couple of moments like that when I was cleaning out the drained sediment pond this summer. I got stuck, the compact tractor started to tilt, so I quickly put the bucket down and got the 4WD pickup and chain. Wife drove pickup, I steered the tractor, and it came right out. If I had known in advance how dry it would get this summer, I would have waited a few more days before getting down close to the muck.

Last edited by John Fitzgerald; 08/26/22 04:57 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Zoinks!!!!

The picture really kicks things into a different realm!!!

I wouldn't quite call it a 'senior' moment..... Maybe more so of a retiree's care-free life and attitude??

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Probably a more accurate description would be "stupidity moment".

John

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by snrub
How NOT to mow your pond bank edge.................

The main pond was so low and dry along the edge I just put one set of tires of the tractor down in the bank and mowed around the pond. Worked fine.

Then I went to the RES/SMB pond. Started working fine. Then as both the front and rear tire started squishing down into the pond and the front tire getting wet I remembered something. I had expanded that pond and in doing so had tapered only the top edge about three feet.........then it was a straight drop off to about 8 feet because the extension on the pond I did while the rest of the pond still was mostly full. So I basically cut a trench with the dozer on that end of the pond then raised the overflow pipe a foot. Well my tractor was crushing that vertical wall and I did not want to see how deep it still was. Of course my cab only has a left door (too cheap to buy the hinge and door handle for the right glass). And I went around the pond the wrong way so my door side was open to the water, Hmmmm.......probably did not think this one through. So I called my wife for help and crawled out through the back window onto the mower. That was not so easy for a 68 year old guy.

So we got a chain and the telehandler and pulled it right out, no worse for wear. I had tried one time to back it out before calling her and lets just say it was a tense moment as the tractor headed sideways for open water. Picture attached.

Senior moment??????

Yipes! I'll bet the material on the seat has a nicely pressed crease in the middle where your butt cheeks were clenched together trying to stay in the seat. LOL

In the 3rd pic from the bottom above of the CNBG, do they normally have that blue on the gills/face or could there be a hint of RES in that one?

I was asked this question by a customer and I honestly told him that I had no idea.

He asked "If the secchi disc reads 4 feet from above, how far down does a fish have to go to be completely in the dark?" His pond goes down to 28' max depth.

Can you fill in that bit of information?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm going to say there is no RES in that CNBG, but that is just a guess on my part. You have known me long enough to know I am definitely no expert. The CNBG stock originally came from Dunn's Fish Farm which if I recall correctly is pretty far north in CNBG territory, so who knows what is in the strain. There are RES in the pond (as noted in the bottom picture) so hybridization is always a possibility. I might be able to give you a better answer in a few years. In my RES/SMB pond, with only RES lepomis stocked, I stocked a single adult male CNBG. I am hoping for some RES/CNBG hybrids from that experiment.

Hard to say what fish can see. From my lake diving spearfishing time a lifetime ago I can say pretty confidently that fish can see us under water before we can see them. I also know in my pond at 9 ft depth at my air diffusers with my eyes open or closed, makes no difference. It is black. That said in Bonaire (in Houston about to get on a plane to there now), I can be at 165 feet and see perfectly well. So it all depends on the clarity of the water.

Edit: as noted in the description of the photos above, there were a few hybrids mistakenly put in the RES/SMB pond, so RES only stocking of that pond was the target but a few mutts slipped in when I misidentified specimens that were too small for me to do a positive ID. They would have definitely been RES/GSF cross out of my forage pond. Once they get a little size, the GSF influence is easy to see.

Last edited by snrub; 08/27/22 10:54 AM.

John

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Thanks for the info!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, the GSF influence is easy to see. It’s even easier to feel when it starts stretching your string.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Those RES/GSF hybrids in that RES/SMB pond were definitely agressive and fought pretty good. They were surprisingly easy to catch, expecially compared to the RES in that pond. I caught........ maybe a dozen of the hybrids all together out of that pond. They also would agressively feed on pelets along with the SMB. The RES, not so much. They sure grew well. All the ones I caught (and removed from the pond) were fat and sassy.

I just hope they did not have any influence on the RES in that pond as far as reproduction goes. Have no idea if they were mostly males or even mix of if they spawned or attempted to spawn. I hope not. Not that I have anything wrong with that mix of hybrid. They actually make pretty fish, fight good and are fun and easy to catch. The only problem is I was not wanting anything but RES in that pond. Until I added the single male CNBG then was hoping for some CNBG/RES hybrids. The GSF/RES hybrids just weren'tt supposed to be in that particular pond.

Last edited by snrub; 08/28/22 02:24 PM.

John

A
A
That could have gone very badly. Glad you got it stopped before it went into the drink.

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
You and me both!

John

J
J
Originally Posted by Augie
That could have gone very badly. Glad you got it stopped before it went into the drink.

Very scary scenario, especially with the only door facing into the water. That back glass would be very difficult to open underwater, with air in the cab. That pic and description still makes me cringe. Maybe an open station tractor with a ROPS would be safer around a pond.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!