Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,067
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,410
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (esshup, bstone261, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson), 691 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#522294 06/09/20 07:53 PM
B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My pond is on its second summer and a new weed is expolding.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Other than this new explosion of weeds, and a few more green sunfish than I though I had, the pond is looking good.

I am trying to get some grass carp, but the source I had fell through. It is growing faster than I can rake it out of there. Thinking about some chemical control. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can you spray the emerged blooms and get a kill? Anyone have any experience with pellet herbicides? I just want to clear out the area around my dock and swim beach.

Thanks for the help.

Brad
1.5 acre pond with LMB, BG, BCP, CC, FHM and lots of crayfish, unknown type. .5 acre pond with FHM and GSF. 12 acre irrigation reservoir that I don't know what to do with. New pond, roughly 1.5 acres. Pond Boss Subscriber.
1 member likes this: wbuffetjr
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Nice setting, spend a lot of time in the Rockies. Where are you?

That's not Coontail but the leaves sure look similar - first thing to do is ID it, and someone should be along shortly to help. Once you achieve that you can determine if it's preferred forage for GC, and if so, they are a biological option, but don't overstock and be patient for results. Different macrophytes respond to different herbicides - so once you ID it you could perform spot treatments. I use Aquathol Super K, and while expensive, it always performs well for spot treatments on pondweeds and coontail. However - cheaper and more effective treatment options may exist depending on the plant ID. I rarely use herbicides so I'm not super well versed. Again, someone will come along shortly to assist I'm sure.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by teehjaeh57
Nice setting, spend a lot of time in the Rockies. Where are you?
We are in a small town in the middle of nowhere western Colorado called Crawford. We are in the perfect spot for all the cool water fish, but we are not allowed to have most of them. My pond hit 68 earlier this week, and I started to see some BG nests, then it turned cold and temp dropped to 62. We had snow about 500 feet above us this morning.

Brad
1.5 acre pond with LMB, BG, BCP, CC, FHM and lots of crayfish, unknown type. .5 acre pond with FHM and GSF. 12 acre irrigation reservoir that I don't know what to do with. New pond, roughly 1.5 acres. Pond Boss Subscriber.
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted by teehjaeh57
That's not Coontail but the leaves sure look similar ...
+1. I had a serious (like 80% coverage) infestation of coontail about 4 years ago and never saw any cute little flowers.

FWIW, I went with professional chemical control to handle it.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker

J
J
Water buttercup and cabomba (fanwort) look a lot like that. I see a vote for fanwort above.

Try Common Water-Crowfoot or White Water-Crowfoot. This might also be known as Water Buttercup/Fanwort as Jim and Shorty mentioned.

Fish on!,
Noel
B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I’m now thinking it is a variety of white water buttercup or crowfoot. The only difference I’m seeing between the online descriptions and what I have is the lack of a different leaf at the surface. The flower is spot on and it is native to this area.

Any suggestions on getting rid of it? I will look into professional help, but I’m not aware of any in this region.

Brad
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted by Brad346
I’m now thinking it is a variety of white water buttercup or crowfoot. The only difference I’m seeing between the online descriptions and what I have is the lack of a different leaf at the surface. The flower is spot on and it is native to this area.

Any suggestions on getting rid of it? I will look into professional help, but I’m not aware of any in this region.

Biological option: "....first thing to do is ID it, and someone should be along shortly to help. Once you achieve that you can determine if it's preferred forage for GC, and if so, they are a biological option, but don't overstock and be patient for results."

Herbicide option: "Different macrophytes respond to different herbicides - so once you ID it you could perform spot treatments. I use Aquathol Super K, and while expensive, it always performs well for spot treatments on pondweeds and coontail. However - cheaper and more effective treatment options may exist depending on the plant ID. I rarely use herbicides so I'm not super well versed."

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
You can say that again.

B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the input.

Brad
B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I decided to give the Aquathol Super K a try. What I have is not listed on its weed list, but it was recommended on several web sights. There was another granular option that suppressed algae as well, but it might be toxic to trout, which I stocked a few of. I treated the area around my dock today. I’ll post results, or lack there of, hopefully soon.

Brad
Man, that's a beautiful pond with beautiful scenery. And are the pics of the 1.5 acre pond you have in your signature? I'm curious to know how well your CCs do in Colorado, growth wise.

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice." - Donny Miller
B
Brad346 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Steve_
Man, that's a beautiful pond with beautiful scenery. And are the pics of the 1.5 acre pond you have in your signature? I'm curious to know how well your CCs do in Colorado, growth wise.
[Linked Image from ]
This is Tufly Pond. Where the fish life is evolving, the pond is about 50 years old, with a pretty steady water source, so not a lot of curve balls from this one.

Regarding catfish growth. It takes 3 to 5 years for them to reach what I consider to be optimal eating size, about 5 pounds. That is starting with 6 to 8 inchers, no feed. Our catfish don’t spawn, but with a primary diet of crayfish, they taste excellent.

Brad

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:37 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB