Decided it was time remove some of the larger accidental BG/HBG from the pond.
I've been feeding earthworms along with the pellets beside the dock. The RES have moved off the dock and are fanning beds.
There are at least half a dozen rather large BG/HBG that come out from under the dock every day to slurp pellets and worms.
None of these fish have ever seen a worm that had a hook hidden inside. I tell myself that I should have the upper hand.
But no, the fish have the upper hand. I start tossing pellets and worms and Oh, look at that, the RES are back.
Not all of them, but enough of them to make a nuisance of themselves by trying to bite the worm that is supposed to be for the BG/HBG.
Dang RES. Laziest fish on the planet until they aren't. When it's raining earthworms they will fight to get theirs.
I hooked three of them. One of those flipped loose and landed on his head on the dock. Maybe it knocked some sense into him.
And yes, I know I should be doing weights and measures on these fish, but I'm not prepared for that just yet.
Digital scale and adhesive-backed steel measure tape will be here soon. Once those are here I'll be able to collect some data.
The YP are ridiculously fast. I tried my best to keep the worm away from them, but the one time I let it sink just a tiny bit too deep... KABOOM!
This is the first of the Snipe strain YP I've caught by angling. I didn't want to catch it, but I caught it. Released to fight another day.
If I wanted a bluegill pond I think I'd be very happy with the condition of these fish. They were ~2" sized when they went in 11 months ago.
I hooked another one that managed to flip loose, bounce off the dock, and then flip back into the water. So now there's one in the pond who knows what time it is.
These two I put to the knife and tossed in with the sack of BG that I took out of the freezer yesterday.