Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
copotay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Hello all,

My neighbor has a about a 3/4 acre pond 12 feet deepest part. It is 5 years old and has suspended clay particles that have not cleared.

In 2016, about a year after being built, we in south Louisiana were inundated with 33 inches of rain in 2 days and the ground level pond had over 5 feet of water above it, where all kinds of trash fish ended up in the pond and a bunch of good size bream left the pond once the water lever receded. We had to drain pond after the trash fish kept water muddy. Once the level was low enough we killed all the fish that were left by pumping a large amount of lime into it lowering the ph.

Refilled and restocked pond after and now only bream and bass are in the pond, but, since a couple of months ago, with the pond never being flooded over again, the water is very cloudy, chocolate milk looking. There is no soil runoff grass completely around pond.

Turned off the two aerators located on bottom of pond and grabbed a jar of pond water to see if the clay particles would settle out, however it did not after several days. So from what I have been reading looks like the clay particles are negatively charged.

Concerned about Ph, which is at 7.2, we decided to look into using the very fine white powdery gypsum which would dissolve easier than the granular. Unfortunately here in south Louisiana we could not find the fine gypsum and my neighbor had to order directly from the manufacturer in Utah I believe. $200 for the gypsum and $300 for the shipping, whew

He ended up doing the 5 jar quart test with a small amount in each jar and the one with the most gypsum a teaspoon cleared almost immediately, the others slowly cleared over a couple days with all the clay floculated to the bottom.

He began applying the gypsum directly out the 50 lb bag into the water and running a small motor on his boat to stir it. He was applying 100 pounds a day over the last week and a half or so and finally finished a couple of days ago. He did not put all 1200 pounds at one time thinking that he would not have to use all 1200. The water appears to have changed a bit not as chocolate looking and maybe a little clearer along the edges but still not right after 1200 lbs.

At this point he believes instead of spending more money on gypsum, mostly due to shipping price, he was going to go with hydrated lime again or aluminum sulfate.

I know long winded, but here’s the question, will it hurt anything to change to alum or lime at this point besides having to monitor the ph?

Tks for reading and appreciate any help.

——————————

Added info: Just talked to the neighbor he decided to try another 500 lbs Gypsum so he ordered it, second question now, should he put all 500 lbs at one time and mix it up or 100lbs a day?

Last edited by copotay; 05/13/20 05:54 PM.
W
W
Copotay,

Crazy small world. I recently posted this exam same story. 1 acre pond, bout 12' avg depth in south Louisiana. I flooded as well in 2016. I did the jar test and for sure knew it was suspended clay particles. I recently added 2500 lbs of gypsum in my pond using the same method. Lightly spread/dump the bags of gypsum into the prop wash of my boat. Took me a few hours and tried to cover as much of the pond as possible. This was about 2 weeks ago. Originally If i could see 2-3" into my pond i was delighted. Fast forward to now and I can see around 10-13" depending on where I am standing. The gypsum worked for me, but others have had better and quicker results usings the Alum. Rainman is the go to guy for that info. Where are you located? I was able to call my local feed store and they received the shipment. All i had to do was pick it up. It was around $600 for my 2500 lbs.

C
copotay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Man that’s great to hear we in Lafayette, what feed store u ordered from it would be worth a drive!!!

You think it was best to put in all at one time or like he was doing 100 a day?

He ordered direct from company here is the link to the product it’s the 97 blue label real fine like talcum powder

https://diamondkgypsum.com/agricultural-fertigation/

W
W
Man I'm about 45 mins to the west of Lafayette. In between Crowley and Jennings. I ordered my chemical from D&W Feed in Crowley. Very reasonably priced and can have it in a week if product is in stock @ the manufacturers warehouse. I put 1000 lbs in first due to the company only having that much in stock @ the time. Then ordered the 2nd half (1500lbs) and put all that out same day together. So 1000l# in 1 day and then 1500# in another. All was out within 1.5 weeks of one another.

C
copotay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
So close dats why we got da same water and problems, (coming from an Hebert lol). Tks Sounds great I’ll pass on to the neighbor, is it those 50 lb bags of the fine stuff that I posted link to, or is it more granular the one you got? He tried a few of those 40 lb bags he got at our local feed store but it was brown, not white, and it didn’t dissolve into the water nearly as fast in the prop was like this powdery stuff.

Last edited by copotay; 05/14/20 04:29 PM.
W
W
It was 40lb bags of the fine stuff. It mixed well in my opinion. I am very satisfied with how its going so far! Time will tell

C
copotay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Sounds great thanks and hope we can get ours in shape too.

C
copotay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
WLBreaux, the neighbor asked if you remember the brand name of the gypsum you used?

W
W
I do not buddy. Id imagine the feed store only goes thru one manufacturer. You could give them a call and probably get that kinda info.

C
copotay Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Ok no problem thanks will tell him to give em call

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??