Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#519276 04/12/20 11:26 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi. I had a 3/4 acre pond constructed 2 years ago and it is now full and ready to install a floating dock kit that I purchased. The kit has four 4x8 floating sections and one 4x8 ramp that will be configured in a "L" shape. The pond is located on a downhill slope with a large dam and the side banks drop off quickly. The front edge of the L will be over about 10' of water (max depth of pond at center is 18'). I will need to build a few steps down to the ramp due to the steep sloping bank. When the pond was constructed the excavators hit sand and they stopped there and lined the sides and bottom with clay.

I do not want to install pilings to stabilize the dock due to a concern about punching holes in the clay bottom and possibly causing a leak. So the other options are concrete anchors or shore-based anchors/tethers. I had a deep well dug last year to supplement the pond's water level and my plan is to try and keep it static at the bottom of the overflow tube, so I'm not too worried about any dramatic rise/fall in water level, but obviously concerned about right/left movement. I'm planning on attaching the ramp to the steps in some manner.

My question is about how much slack should I leave in anchor chains to allow for any rise/fall in water level and right/left movement. Seems to me if you leave enough slack to allow for up/down movement you've left too much slack to prevent right/left movement and placing strain on the dock's hinges.

I've attached a photo of the pond not long after it was constructed that shows the location of the dock and the steep bank. The dock will go straight out/down from the old deck platform in the photo. I have installed an aerator to keep the dock ice free and to keep the yellow overflow tube open (needed because I have a pump and dump geothermal system that discharges water into the pond year round).

I also attached a diagram of the dock layout provided by the manufacturer.

If anyone has any experience in installing pilings in a similar situation as mine I'd like to hear about it - maybe I'm being overly concerned about them causing a leak.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by CommanderDave; 04/12/20 05:45 PM.
J
J
The underside of my dock was constructed to remedy this exact problem. The dock floats with pond level, which can vary by a couple feet, but left and right remains the same.
I designed a dual pulley system, with one very heavy anchor, that stays in the bottom and a lighter anchor that never touches the bottom, but keeps the line tight as the water level varies. There is one on each end of the dock that holds it in position. No poles.

Originally Posted by CommanderDave
My question is about how much slack should I leave in anchor chains to allow for any rise/fall in water level and right/left movement. Seems to me if you leave enough slack to allow for up/down movement you've left too much slack to prevent right/left movement and placing strain on the dock's hinges.

Is the "L" rigid? If so, keep the cable pivot points at the shore in-line with the pivot point of the dock. The cables could be snugged up tight and no slack would be created when the dock rises and falls.

If there is a hinge between the first section (the gangway) and the outter leg of the "L" then the above suggestion only works for shore cables that attach to the end of the gangway. The leg of the "L" would be free so the hinge would have to be good and stout.

It's a shame the photos are not woriking here...this kind of topic is very difficult without pictures.

Fish on!,
Noel
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the response. I'm having difficulty trying to create a URL for photos to post, but please try these links. I think you can cut and paste just the https link to see the pics.

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/qjsdkm8q955suu6/DockLocation1%282%29.JPG?dl=0[img]
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojsr47cv4e2y1jr/DockLayout.jpg?dl=0[img]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump