Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
T

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by Tbar
After having symptoms of the coronavirus, he continued to go on about his daily life....
Moron

Fishing has never been about the fish....

A
A
[quote=RAH]Most news sources bring bias to their reporting. People see the world through their ideological beliefs. Very sobering situation right

I couldn't agree more.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
PA Gov. Wolf just announced that schools will remain closed for the rest of the school year.

Bye, bye to all the sports and other activities.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted by Sunil
schools will remain closed for the rest of the school year

Sunil so that basically means just the rest of this semester...and maybe the summer session?

He's not closing the Fall 2020 School session? Because that would be a different academic year?

I am pretty sure "an academic year" is the Fall & Spring semesters of a Fall/Spring timeline.

So for example the current "academic year" is Fall 2019 / Spring 2020.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Zep, yes, the 2019/2020 year.

I can't feel the real need to make this decision now. Teachers, school employees, coaches, parents and students all expected to be at school, so why not wait a week or two and see what develops. Further, all of the aforementioned people want to get back to school.

But, he made the call, so that's what we have to live by.......... (is there an 'anger' emoticon?)

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
NE schools and universities were cancelled statewide for the year over 3 weeks ago - everything proceeding online - our education system response to this pandemic with only 1 week to prepare has been nothing short of amazing. Our school year only goes until late May, so we were only looking at 9 more weeks of school, so the decision was likely easier to make. Granted it's inconvenient - yet seems prudent not to risk sending my kids to a petri dish daily with the virus circulating and bringing it back home, especially for parents or Gparents at higher risk of contracting and dying. My wife works in a middle school as a counselor and there's not a single teacher who doesn't believe this was the right thing to do for the kids and educators health and safety - although their jobs are significantly more difficult working remotely in a full house - and will continue to be until the school year ends. My wife has never been busier or more stressed, but at least we're all healthy - for now.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
R
I'm with ya TJ. Use here in kansas canceled bout 3 weeks ago. Teachers have really stepped up.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
All good points.

A
A
Same deal here in Misery.

I pity the parents who have school age kids right now.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm friends with some teachers in and around the Pittsburgh area.

In one eastern suburb of Pittsburgh, the teachers, in general, are not concerned that going back to 'normal' school is unsafe. The greatest concern seems to be that the students are learning quite a bit less with the online format.

A lot of suburbs were already set up where most every student already had a laptop/online device, however, some of the other districts are way behind that curve.

I've been somewhat skeptical of the level of 'reaction' to this virus, and just don't think that the schools are going to ever be less of a 'petri' dish than they already are and always have been.

Once the question of 'safety' is invoked, it's almost carte blanche to take whatever measures one feels necessary to protect the people.

I see the decision to close the PA schools yesterday as a 'punt.' Online schooling was already happening. Waiting another week or two doesn't impact anyone.

L
L
Hi All,
Happy Easter, He has Risen!

Long time no login to the forums but lurking. Happy to say we are blessed that we live where our pond is, and have space so the stay at home orders actually make me happy so I can enjoy our spot without spending 50+ hours a week working. I finally found time to trim my apple trees and plant a few more (mail order), and have pulled all the willows and poplars near the water.

We bought one of the Pullerbears from Canada, and if you need to pull smaller brush and trees, it is actually kind of fun.

I needed a vacation, but not getting one. Working from home as much as possible, but being in microelectronics and developing military and medical equipment, we are allowed to continue on. We have also applied to one of those magical loans, no word yet if it has gone through, but I have very little doubt. Most other employees that are in code writing and not in hardware are working from home. Five of us in a rather large building rather spaced out.

My wife works for the VA as a caregiver support social worker. It took two days between the alert and her moving to working from home! I was very impressed. Managed to get our internet upgraded to support it very quickly once we mentioned that my wife works for the VA and what she does. Again, thankful as otherwise it may have been a month out due to demand.

So, Covid-19. Yes, much has changed. Yes, neighbors on both sides of us have had it, all survived, thank God! But from their personal accounts, there in NO WAY IN HELL I want to try. I already have a chronic cough from last year's lung viral infection that lasted 3 weeks, and this sounds far worse. Especially when you think you are over it, and the SOB comes back with fevers near 104! Scary shiz. Now our babysitter, who moved to WA has it. She got it by making masks and then going out in public to hand them out. She is young and healthy, but nothing hurts more than being charitable trying to help, and then be "punished" for it.

Yeah, and every time my cough acts up, I start to stress out. Particularly this morning after shopping yesterday. Wore my mask though so if I do have it, I wasn't sharing.

So far, surprisingly happy with Cuomo's handling of all of this. Otherwise me and him have a lot of serious disagreements.

A few other interesting tidbits: There was a recent study of sewage near Boston to see if the infection rate could be determined by the mars bars carriers. It seems the infection rate may be more than 10x of what is being reported. That is actually really good news as it drops death rates way down. It also means the infection rates are really high and/or the virus has been around a lot longer than anyone thought. However, I am seeing hints that people who have not had a strong reaction to the virus may not have full immunity either. They can get re-infected if blasted by a very contagious person.

The area in which I live is pretty rural, about 5 families per 100 acres. Yet two neighbor families have gotten it. Neither of them were able to get tests, so they don't count in the stats for the county. This sort of thing is why we cannot make sound judgements when we don't have good enough numbers to make decisions. The immunity tests can't come soon enough to know when we can get back to work! We have to look at the numbers we have, and they look pretty bad, but at least not nearly as bad as first projected.

Lastly, when social distancing is a thing, why in the heck are the grocery stores only selling Hams in the 10+ pound range?!?! Yeah, my family of 3 can eat that much Ham.

Stay safe, and happy Easter!

-Mark

1 member likes this: anthropic
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Great report, squid. Thanks.

Gotta love TX. Just left Brashear General Store with 3 street tacos, and a gallon of hand sanitizer. The guy with the hand sanitizer owns a distillery in Brownsville, and came up here with 4 totes full, so I'm guessing over 200 gallons.

If any of you NE TX guys need some, now's the time to get it.

Last edited by FireIsHot; 04/29/20 11:16 AM.

AL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Daughter had a super light case of it, or something like it, a couple of weeks ago. Now, her son, myGrandson Trevor, has it and it’s a rougher one than she got.

I’m finally realizing that I need to be more careful.

BTW, I bought a bunch of masks from Amazon. They said one day shipping and it’s evidently true. Problem is that then they say4 to 6 weeks delivery. Found out from Al(Fire is Hot) thT it is being shipped From China.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Dave.....since we are in close proximity.....I got a shipment of surgical masks last week for our company....but I could certainly spare a few for you....and a washable cloth mask...I could FedEx you six masks to hold you over until you finally get yours....they would be at your door by tomorrow morning. At our age we need 'em Dave!

1 member likes this: esshup
T
T
I was doing some reading this morning about how contagious this virus is. I have been aware of this for awhile now but my concerns are even more so now that we are opening up. Even nurses, doctors etc who are garbed up, masked up and gloved continue to get this crap that kills. Even if it's only 2% that die, if you or a family member then it does not matter that it's only that 2%. Zep, way to go helping out fellow pond boss friends and followers. Dave, I got some masks from ebay and were delivered in 5 days. But prices can be up there when shopping for anything that relates to safety during these times. Have any of you priced hand sanitizer lately? WOW! Another thing is how safe are the masks that are being sold coming out of china? Like a lot of things from china it may say this or that but it's like buying from harbor freight. Questionable I think.

Last edited by TGW1; 05/01/20 08:25 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted by Sunil
I'm friends with some teachers in and around the Pittsburgh area.

In one eastern suburb of Pittsburgh, the teachers, in general, are not concerned that going back to 'normal' school is unsafe. The greatest concern seems to be that the students are learning quite a bit less with the online format.

A lot of suburbs were already set up where most every student already had a laptop/online device, however, some of the other districts are way behind that curve.

I've been somewhat skeptical of the level of 'reaction' to this virus, and just don't think that the schools are going to ever be less of a 'petri' dish than they already are and always have been.

Once the question of 'safety' is invoked, it's almost carte blanche to take whatever measures one feels necessary to protect the people.

I see the decision to close the PA schools yesterday as a 'punt.' Online schooling was already happening. Waiting another week or two doesn't impact anyone.
I talked to the HS Junior who handles square bales and helps with fencing and asked how on-line school was going.

"At first it ticked me off, now I just fill like it's something that a have to do."

And I asked if he was learning anything.

"Oh, Hell no. Except Math."

This is a good kid, As & Bs student, with an exceptional work ethic for a 17 year old.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
T
I think schools are going to have to change to online until we have a way to treat the virus, symptoms etc. Classrooms are a petri dishes and will bring the virus back home when classrooms starts back. If online was taken seriously I don't see any difference from a teacher standing or setting in the front of the class verses on a screen other than the student taking the class seriously or actually taking the class. Hay, it might be time to change how we teach anyway. After all we stand very low in learning/ teaching when it comes to our comparison around the world when it comes to educational degrees here verses world. Don't we rank in the 30's when it comes to education?

Tracy
Originally Posted by TGW1
Don't we rank in the 30's when it comes to education?

I don't think we are that high on the list. The good thing about online teaching is the fact that teachers can mute the trouble makers if they show up. My Sister says three tho five of her students show up and only three turned in any homework. Of course, what insensitive do they have when the school board says none of this will count towards their grades. Move them along, nothing to see here.... And we wonder why things are the way they are. Rant over for now.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
In weeks past, I've felt this entire thing has been a giant feces sandwich of which we'd all have to take a bite.

Today, I've realized that its really a 100 lb. feces meatloaf, and we each have to eat an entire one.

Then, we have to wait for our betters to let us know when the next unknown quantity of feces will be forced upon us.

So I've got a problem 'cause I'm not a huge feces meatloaf fan.

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
can somebody translate that?....lol

C
C
I think we SHOULD go back to school early. Everyone has to be exposed eventually. It is extremely likely that cases of COVID were circulating in Michigan schools before we were told anything about COVID and weeks before anything was locked down. A few kids in our schools were very sick with influenza like symptoms but they got better without seeing a doctor or going to the hospital. The rest did not catch it. Mortality rates nationwide for kids under 18 is extremely low. We let kids continue going to school every winter during influenza, this coming winter will be no exception and COVID is here to stay.

COVID probably will be at a low level during the summer months and reappear in the fall and winter again as air conditions change and people congregate inside again. People who don't have immunity now will be exposed again and have a chance to develop immunity again then. I hope we don't shut down society this fall when a few cases of COVID pop up again. The main reason to shutdown society when COVID activity arrived for the first time was not to prevent infections but to keep the PACE of the infection at a level that hospitals could handle. They needed to make sure enough medical staff stayed well and there was enough PPE. Unless we 100% isolated everyone in plastic bubbles with air purifiers, lockdown or stay at home orders do not prevent transmission but they prevent a huge spike in simultaneous transmission. Even the mandatory wear a mask order in MI gives false sense of security since they also remind us that the masks do not work. If the case rate is manageable from here on out then I hope we can allow normal society to go on and work on building the natural immunity that comes through living in a world of invisible viruses.

Hopefully this will be a reminder to those who haven't been too kind to their lungs or who live a lifestyle that likely will advance the cause of diabetes or heart disease will do their best to work towards healthier habits.

1 member likes this: DrLuke
+100 on what Canyon said. COVID19 is here to stay. Living life is about making choices and taking risks. There's been sufficient testing to tell us that COVID19 is wide spread, and the mortality rate is very low (around 0.5% currently). It definitely sucks if the one who dies is our own family or friend. I pray that you & yours (the PB family) come through safe and sound. But no vaccine is coming. No wildly effective medications are likely either. But our immune systems will adapt, and life will go on. We might as well venture out and wet a line.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
T
T
Venture out and wet a line? Yep, send kids to a school that has not worked for the most part, let them spread the virus and kill off some of the grocers, health care workers, police and firefighters and the elderly. And Oh yea! Kill of those terrible people that did not live up to others expectations. That's a good plan. Never going to have a vaccine. Come on, sounds like that is what they said when the world is flat. And you can't grow big fish in our ponds. I have found that man can do what he sets out to do if he has the desire to do so. Use your head and stay safe.

Tracy
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??