Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
In the last year and a half Carolynn and I have become more health conscious. In that quest we have become more conscious of the amount of omega 3 we consume. We take a couple teaspoons of fish oil a day and eat sardines almost every day to increase our intake of these essential oils.

My understanding is that the omega 3 actually comes from the algae that small ocean fish eat. So the small fish like sardines are best sources of omega 3. Things like salmon are also high.

So my question is, are fresh water fish also a source of omega 3? I realize it is an oil, so oily fish would be a better source, so perhaps catfish?

FHM eat a lot of algae so possibly a potential source? But I would not be interested in cleaning a thousand FHM eek

I tried doing a search but did not come up with much information. Anyone know?

Edit: I did a more recent search and found trout to have omega 3's

Last edited by snrub; 04/01/20 10:29 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
snrub, it has been my understanding over many, many years that Omega 3s are most abundant in cold water fishes, and wild living fishes. Wild game (deer, elk, etc.) are good sources, too. Farmed fishes and domestic livestock produced under feedlot conditions are not included as good sources.

How that translates to our pond fish, I don't know. My guess is that naturally fed YP would be a better source than pellet fed BG. Naturally fed YP may also be a better source than pellet fed trout.

Now, if the pellets have a high quantity of Omega 3, then it follows that the trout and BG may also be richer in Omega3s. Let's get Dustin @optimalfishfood to chime in.

If algae is contributing to high essential oils in fish flesh, then tilapia and FHM might just be what we could benefit from eating. The flatheads could be canned, smoked, pickled, etc. Think FHM sardines.

A conversation I just had yesterday taught me that some specific Argentinian sardine is the very highest in Omega 3s. The person I was speaking with has not been able to find a source of these Argentinian sardines here in the US.

I've eaten nearly exclusively wild game for the last 50! years. Everything from ducks, pheasants, many species of grouse and quail, deer, elk, moose, caribou. All sorts of wild caught fish grace my plates. I haven't had the flu since I was a child (I'm 69 now). I get a cold about once in 5 years. I mostly "pay lip service to the germ theory of disease". But, I'm taking seriously this social distancing/hand washing thing. And letting my dogs clean my dinner plate.

Hope this helps.

Roger

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Diet makes a world of difference in how healthy we are and how we feel. That is for sure. Sounds like eating the wild game has served you well.

Wife and I changed what we ate about 14 months ago now. Lost about 60 pounds in the first 4 months and another 40 in the following months. After losing the 100# been weight stable now for quite a while. Feel better than I have in 20 years. Went from using 100 units of insulin a day to zero in the first two weeks. Got off blood pressure medicine, two diabetic medicines and a few other prescription pills (take NO prescription medicine now). Went from type II diabetic to normal blood glucose levels (even dropping the insulin and diabetic medicine). Was going to need a knee replacement operation, but the pain all went away within the first month (before a lot of weight loss). Years of suffering from back pain and 3 operations pain now all gone. Whole bunch of other health improvements too numerous to mention.

HDL up, LDL the same and triglicerides significantly down. All the right direction.

All from cutting the carbohydrates down to about 20 grams a day, eating a lot more meat eggs and bacon, and cutting out the vegetable oils and using mostly saturated fats for cooking. Basically by doing everything opposite of what we have been taught with the food pyramid for most of my lifetime (I'm 65). Turns out fat does not make you fat (unless you eat it with a bunch of carbohydrates, then it does because of insulin response).

Last edited by snrub; 04/01/20 02:21 PM.

John

As Roger already identified, different fish oils and fish meals bring in different fatty acid profiles. Although "fish meal" or "fish oil" is almost always listed on a feed tag...there are hundreds if not thousands of types and grades of fish meals and oils, and they are most definitely NOT all created equal. For example, carp meals, sardine meals, and menhaden meals are all very different even if they are all labeled "fish meal" on a feed tag.

In most aquaculture applications, the primary driver for omega fatty acids in the fish fillet comes from the feeds. Generally, the higher level of omega 3 (DHA) in the feed translates to a higher level of omega 3 in the fish. However, different species of fish have variable abilities to take up or concentrate omega 3s. For example, fatty fish like salmon or tuna usually have a much higher level of omega 3s. In the wild, these fish eat other fish which primarily feed on things like microalgae which have high omega 3 levels. In aquaculture, these fats come from the feeds that are fed on the farm.

If you were to take those same feeds that produce high omega 3 salmon and feed them to say tilapia or catfish, you would not get an equivalent return in the fillet. This is why you rarely see "high omega 3" versions of many of the more traditional pond fish. Regardless of food source levels, they just don't concentrate it as much. I would imagine bluegill if given plenty of DHA in their diets would fall somewhere in the middle of salmon and tilapia.

The reason that fish oils (or just eating more fish) is recommended for people is that they generally have higher levels of omega 3. DHA is very important for brain function, a lot of our brain (~20%) is actually made up of DHA!

Keep safe everyone!

Dustin

Last edited by optimalfishfood; 04/02/20 07:06 AM.
Thanks John for your story. That's truly remarkable. You are fortunate to have found a path to health.

Thank you Dustin for your contributions to the forum. This last bit that you've posted clears up some questions that I've had.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Not everybody benefits: " “We realize now that different human populations have adapted to different diets, so what’s healthy for one person might not be healthy for other people,”

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/09/fish-oil-good-you-depends-your-dna#

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The nice thing about diet change is it is pretty much free to try and changing it for a month is not going to kill anyone. In our case (both Carolynn and I). within one week of a partial change we could feel a positive difference, enough so that we embraced the change fully. In two weeks time I had cut my insulin completely out because of drop in blood glucose levels (cut it in half the first week with a partial change). Within a month it had literally changed our lives.

I can't say for sure what it was we were eating that was causing us all the problems (because we cut out several things any one of which could have been the inflammatory culprit), but whatever we cut out it sure changed our health.

Last edited by snrub; 04/02/20 09:27 AM.

John

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Great willpower! Congratulations on sticking with it!

S
snrub Offline OP
OP Offline
S
What really helped was the positive feedback was almost instantaneous. I would never have imagined partial results would come that quick. Wife has been on a diet at least a dozen different times over the last 30 years or so. Weight watchers at least 4 different times with girlfriends. But this change she felt better within days. We both did. And that made all the difference.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails