Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Well, as I was warned my pure Florida lmb are being extremely hard to catch. I have never fished for bass with live bait but have only watched Roland Martin do it on tv with "balloons" for corks.Can anyone give me advise and technique on how to properly do this? I was a pro bass fisherman for 15 years but of course could not use live bait. Only 6 miles down the road we have a wholesale live bait distributer so I can buy minnows, golden shiners (trotline shiners) and a lot of times goldfish. Also I can catch varies size cnbg from the pond if needed. I have caught near 6 pound lmb so I suspect I have at least some 8 pounders in my 2 acre pond and probably larger because I seem to still have a huge supply of different size cnbg in there. I really need technique advise!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
T
T
Flame, what worked best for me in Oklahoma where I grew up was to use a clear plastic bobber and drop the bait about a foot or so below the bobber with no weight let the bait swim free. I used golden shiners and the larger ones in the 4" size worked good. If you can find the bobbers that let u add water inside them for additional weight worked best. If needed u can cut the tail fin back on the shiners to where it can move it's tail but little movement gives it some added attraction.

Last edited by TGW1; 02/08/20 10:16 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Checked with my bait distributor and he does not sell GOLDEN shiners. Just larger regular shiners which are only 3-4 inch long. Those will have to do and maybe a small cnbg. Tracy how big of cork? Baloons used in Florida looked pretty large. Also I have researched to use circle live bait hooks. Must wait a good while to set the hook.?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
I
I
Flame I ve never seen a florida bass, but I ve fished often northern bass with live bait.
I can t gurantee my method will work for you too, but here is a blast.
I don t use cork or balloon, I tie a 3/0 circle hook directly to the line, then put a minnow/shiner/goldfish by mouth, passing the hook from below to above. Sometimes I cut the tail fin a little. I cast it where I think the bass is and, if there is, the attack comes almost immediately. You see the line go rocket, but you don't have to pull the rod fast as if you had a normal hook, but slowly raise it and the hook will set itself.

Filippo
A
A
James, you could use small CNBG or LMB as bait. LMB might be preferred due to fusiform shape being easier to swallow.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
Flame, in Okla we called them Arkansas shiners. We call them trotline shiners here in Shreveport. The largest you can get works best for larger sized lmb but smaller works alright. As far as the bobber its called a spinner bobber. I use braded line attached to the top of it and then tie fluorocarbon to the bottom of the bobber and a circle hook. No need for a hard hook set, just apply a little pressure and reel. Two fish pics I posted today under grandsons fish were caught this way. Great way to help a non fisherman or pressured fish to catch some nice fish.

Last edited by TGW1; 02/08/20 08:00 PM.

Tracy
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have personally found that a 4 inch free swimming bluegill works best

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I will be attempting to catch my Florida lmb this weekend. It is getting warmer and just yesterday fishing for cnbg with a VERY TINY little spinner and grub a huge lmb ate it and hooked up. I didn't have a chance. She made her first run and popped the line. All I saw was her back and it looked to be 3 inches wide!! I called my live bait store down the road again and he still only has maybe 3 inch minnows or I can get 3-4 inch gold fish or "bronze carp". What would ya'll recommend!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I would not get any carp or goldfish just due to the risk of survival and introducing a new species.

3" minnows will catch LMB from my experience.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I have NO IDEA what I was thinking. That is a GREAT point about introducing a new species Sunil. Thank you!!! Minnows or bluegill it shall be!! I love this forum!

J
J
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I would not get any carp or goldfish just due to the risk of survival and introducing a new species.

+1 on this.

T
T
Flame, was it you or Pat W. that gave me a hard time recently about adjusting my drag? smile So, if you can throw a cast net, it might be the best way to catch the size bg you might want for live bait. For me, I might have to make several cast before I get the desired circle I'm looking for when throwing mine. frown

Last edited by TGW1; 02/26/20 07:03 AM.

Tracy
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Tracy, I don't own a cast net and...it was Pat picken on you about the drag set but...now it looks like YOU picken on me!! Hah! It was a featherweight light tackle rod with 6-8 lb. test line set up just for cnbg.I doubt that big bass even had the hook stuck in her. Just closed her mouth over the whole thing and swam off. Teeth and brute strength just popped the line!! That's my story and I'm sticken to it!!

T
T
A cast net is a must at my place. Good way to catch a sample of fish, If you can throw a circle lol. I am betting Walmart would have one. I know u are an expert on catching your cnbg. I caught a few 2" res in my minnow trap recently so that is most always a good way to catch the smaller ones. And we used to hand line them off the pier using small pinch of worm when we needed small ones for striper fishing Texhoma and Toledo bend. By hand lining we could catch the smaller ones we desired instead of the bigger bg we caught using a pole.

Have u seen lmb reproduction at your place? Different sized, year class lmb or just bigun's?

Last edited by TGW1; 02/26/20 08:57 AM.

Tracy
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I have seen small pods of lmb fry in 2 separate years. I caught about a 2 pounder last year and I assumed it was a second generation fish. I have caught nothing smaller than that.I actually sent pics of my first bass fry I caught in a dip net to Pat and he said Congratulations you are a lmb Papa!! That was actually 2 seasons ago now.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Just a hook and line - no weight or cork.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Hook the bait one of three ways: just below the dorsal fin, through both lips, or just under the anal fin. Try each way and report back here which way works best for your bass.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
A
Circle hooks might be smart if you don't want to gut or gill hook a big fish.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

B
B
Flame -

Consider using an octopus offset circle hook if you're free-lining live bait for bass. This hook was designed to minimize gut hooking the fish as it rolls in the mouth and typically catches in the mouth. You don't have to set the hook per say, you can simply tighten the drag and walk away from the pond or move the rod away from direction of the line if on a boat.

https://www.gamakatsu.com/product/octopus-hooks-circle-offset-point/

For a natural presentation hook the bait fish through the upper mouth or in one nostril and out the other nostril. For a distressed presentation hook just in front of the dorsal fin.

If you're using a different type of hook and actively fishing (holding the rod versus setting the line out and free-lining and setting the rod down) consider pausing before setting the hook especially if you've hooked the bait fish through the mouth or nostrils. In our pond that is gin clear I have watched bass hit bait fish sideways and continue to swim forward so if you set the hook immediately you essentially rip the hook from the mouth or nostril of the bait fish and miss the bass because it held the bait fish sideways in its mouth. Like the letter 'T'. If you pause and wait two seconds that usually is when the bass stops forward motion, spits the bait fish out and immediately inhales it back into its mouth head first.

Originally Posted By: Flame
Well, as I was warned my pure Florida lmb are being extremely hard to catch. I have never fished for bass with live bait but have only watched Roland Martin do it on tv with "balloons" for corks.Can anyone give me advise and technique on how to properly do this? I was a pro bass fisherman for 15 years but of course could not use live bait. Only 6 miles down the road we have a wholesale live bait distributer so I can buy minnows, golden shiners (trotline shiners) and a lot of times goldfish. Also I can catch varies size cnbg from the pond if needed. I have caught near 6 pound lmb so I suspect I have at least some 8 pounders in my 2 acre pond and probably larger because I seem to still have a huge supply of different size cnbg in there. I really need technique advise!!

T
T
Using the Owner circle 1 ought hook when fishing my grandson, we still had one 15" lmb swallow the hook into it's throat. If I had not pinched in the barb to release the fish, I would have had to cut the line to release the fish. My point here is the fish can swallow the hook when using a circle hook. Pinching in the barb will cause you to lose a few fighting fish as we did that day but I would still suggest pinching in the barb if you plan on catch and release. A forcept type hook remover will help to remove those deeper hooked fish.

Last edited by TGW1; 02/27/20 09:23 AM.

Tracy
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
That is the exact hook I bought! This Saturday and Sunday is supposed to be in the 70's here. Sat. morning I am driving the 6 miles to get some trotline shiners. Will probably pick up one of those battery operated aeriators for my 5 gallon bucket or should I just buy a live bait bucket you hang on the side of the boat? Might even buy me one of those little dip nets to catch the raskels. From bass fishing professionally to feeling like a little kid starting all over again!! Hah! Thanks for the advise everyone.I will certainly measure and weigh anything I catch and report back in!

F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks Tracy, I'll pinch the barb. I did purchase the Gamagatsu Octopus hooks. Maybe a little big. I bought 3/0 size.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I've recently discovered that for live bait, using the larger hooks results in fewer swallowed hooks. Now makes common sense to me. You might get fewer bites with larger hooks, but I hate it when a fish swallows the hook and starts bleeding. A bleeding released fish is almost always a soon to be dead fish weather you see it dead or not.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/27/20 09:03 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Flame, for transporting bait fish, I use a plug-in portable aerator. You just have to have an adaptor for your car cigarette lighter that takes a 110V two-prong plug.

It works better than the battery powered ones, IMO.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

A
A
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I've recently discovered that for live bait, using the larger hooks results in fewer swallowed hooks. Now makes common sense to me. You might get fewer bites with larger hooks, but I hate it when a fish swallows the hook and starts bleeding. A bleeding released fish is almost always a soon to be dead fish weather you see it dead or not.

Bill, I've heard that bleeding fish will usually stop bleeding when released back in the water. Their blood does not clot effectively in air.

That said, obviously we sometimes release fish that don't make it & end up floating. Not sure what the criteria should be for releasable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump